« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Left foot operation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey
Left foot operation

Last week I underwent ankle fusion surgery on my right ankle. I will be totally non weight bearing for 4-6 weeks and partial weight bearing for a further 4 - 6 weeks. I am thinking about converting the accelerator to left foot operation - has anybody experience of this and if so can the modification be reversed. I am hoping that the "fixed" ankle will allow sufficient mobility to operate the brake/accelerator in due course.

Getting very adept at hopping about on one leg Smile Cool MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #283059 2nd Dec 2015 10:02 am
westville

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

I hope you have a speedy recovery and without wishing to pee on your parade won't you have to report such a significant physical change to DVLA and undergo medical assessment before driving anything? No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

"Fiat Lux" a philosophy not a car

Post #283064 2nd Dec 2015 10:53 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

unless you are a complete idiot you'll give up driving until you are fit.

Iain

Post #283066 2nd Dec 2015 11:06 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

when the accelerator cable broke on my forklift, I jammed a rag into the linkage on the fuel pump and ran at 1/2 revs quite happily, was able to load 60 tonnes of wheat into lorries no problem.

either cable tie the throttle half down Rolling Eyes or more advisable get someone else to drive.

oh I see you have an auto, cable tie a broom stick to throttle and bobs your uncle 'hand throttle'

push the broom handle through the steering wheel spokes it will hold it nicely, just dont steer

another of my great ideas

At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #283070 2nd Dec 2015 11:30 am
tenet

Thank you for your incisive comment Iain - I am not a fool and would not consider driving whilst non weight bearing. Once I get the okay to partial weight bear I will be in a walking plaster up to my knee and to all intents and purposes fit. On this basis I muse as to whether a conversion to left foot accelerator would be viable.

As an aside, people who have their left ankle fused are allowed to drive automatics once they can partial weight bear should they so wish and no ,they do not need a DVLA assessment.

The fear of stumbling whilst hopping around the house has created one benefit in that my wine consumption has reduced to virtually zero - "reality is an illusion created by the lack of alcohol" has never been truer Smile Smile
ps- thanks for your thoughts CG, have you started feeding your chickens on maggots? (country file on Sunday) MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

Post #283072 2nd Dec 2015 11:45 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I not fed them,, but the muck they grow the experimental maggots in comes from here sometimes
controversial stuff but we need protein, chickens eat maggots and stuff in the wild so heyho

soya bean price is down at moment so nothing will change until the price surges again At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #283077 2nd Dec 2015 11:57 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

A long time ago I had my left foot in plaster and had also damaged my left hand. I did manage to drive to work using the remaining limbs to change gears. Not a pretty sight to put it mildly, and mainly used 1st and 3rd and hoped that I did not get one particular set of lights on a hill! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #283081 2nd Dec 2015 12:39 pm
Dartman the one

England 

I don't really see the problem, there is very little load on an accelerator, you have enough control even in a plaster to use it in conjunction with cruise control and left foot brake. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #283084 2nd Dec 2015 1:21 pm
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

The accelerator isnt cable operated like they used to be they are fly by wire now arent they, like radio controlled? so I would have though in that case you could have the accelerator pedal more or less where you wanted?
Unscrew it and move it over, easier on an auto as theres no clutch pedal on the left just a wasted space??

Post #283095 2nd Dec 2015 3:13 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

or buy a left hand drive FL2 automatic then you would only need your left foot Rolling Eyes

Rolling with laughter

Post #283098 2nd Dec 2015 3:43 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Sort of Off Topic

my mother had ankle fusion surgery, all was well and she went back to driving with in the rough timescale you described.

That is until 12 months later when the undetected infection in the ankle, started to cause her body to attack itself, and spread in to her vital organs and other areas, queue 80 days in hospital with a operation every other day to remove the infected parts and metal work, high dose of anti-biotics and steriods and other pills which led to her having to have emergency operation on a gastric ulcer and then the steroids led to her having cusshings syndrome and producing 30,000 time more cortazol than she should have been and after numerous test a drill up the nose in to her brain to remove half her pituitary gland. Shocked

Hope your ankle fusion goes better Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #283101 2nd Dec 2015 3:57 pm
Moleshome

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

You'll also need to notify your insurer.

Post #283102 2nd Dec 2015 3:58 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

quote: "or buy a left hand drive FL2 automatic then you would only need your left foot" unquote

That is so true! When on a caravan holiday in Norway, we befriended a Danish couple. Jens was intrigued with my RHD Freelander (it was a manual) and asked to sit in it to see how the pedals were arranged! He actually thought the pedals would be the opposite way round, with throttle to the left and clutch to the right! 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #283103 2nd Dec 2015 4:01 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

''pedals would be the opposite way round, with throttle to the left and clutch to the right! ''

the amount of times when driving a LHD drive car that ive opened the door when going to change gear........ just letting the clutch out Shocked

Rolling with laughter

Post #283105 2nd Dec 2015 4:13 pm
tenet

Such a comfort Pinkey. Evil or Very Mad

Coming to terms shooting myself up with Fragmin (to help stop clotting of the blood). My ample belly already resembles a dart board with another 14 days to go. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

Post #283106 2nd Dec 2015 4:21 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1