« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Roof Rail Question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
MrPotatoHead

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Sumatra Black
Roof Rail Question

I have an FL2 with a panoramic sun roof. I know I need to get the "alternative" roof rails (LR007220).

Finally, an aftermarket set has become available on eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321931373915?ssP...1436.l2649).

Two questions:

1) Does anyone have any experience of aftermarket rails?

2) These appear to have a fitted crossbar whilst the genuine LR ones don't. Am I correct, and why, and does it make them noisier?

Hoping someone has had experience Smile

Andy[/url]

Post #282616 29th Nov 2015 11:09 am
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

The genuine LR ones also have the fitted "crossbar" but this is for strength/rigidity. Make sure the roof rails and cross bars are fitted the correct way around to avoid any howling. I've driven with my cross bars on since new and I don't find that they are noisey to be honest. MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #282617 29th Nov 2015 11:22 am
MrPotatoHead

Many thanks for the quick response.

Pleased to hear that these are no different aesthetically to the genuine ones, and that you have no issues with noise (or at least no noise that bothers you).

I think I will be purchasing, unless someone comes in and tells me aftermarket ones are poor.

All the best

Post #282623 29th Nov 2015 11:51 am
blacktiger

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

If you were closer I'd have offered you mine. I bought my car second hand and it came with the bars which I don't really need or want.

Oh, and the link you posted look exactly like mine. I assume they're proper LR roof bars, not aftermarket as you put it.

Post #282626 29th Nov 2015 12:34 pm
MrPotatoHead

Thank you kindly for the offer.

My geography of the south of the country is poor, and even worse when you get past London, so I've just had to Google St. Leonards on Sea to see where you are...and yes, miles away!!

However, you have made me realise that these bars are being sold as OEM, which mean Original Equipment Manufacturer, which means that must be produced specifically for Land Rover...so I wonder why, if they are OEM, they are the priced as they are. Because they are unbranded maybe...or because the seller is selling them as OEM, when in fact they are roof rails produced by another manufacturer which will fit a Freelander 2. One to ponder...

Here is Wiki's take on it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_equipment_manufacturer

Post #282629 29th Nov 2015 1:13 pm
blacktiger

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Haha, yeah. I had to put Seaham into my satnav mapping program to find you. Thumbs Up

Also, it does say OEM so I'd go with it as it seems someone has found the manufacturer that makes them for LR and is selling them at a better price.
I quite often wish I could find whomever makes the bits and bobs for my bikes so that I don't have to pay Triumph prices for stuff.

Post #282630 29th Nov 2015 1:15 pm
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

They might have a part missing or fixing missing or be scratched or damaged slightly so check that out too, some folks immaculate are anothers ok ish?

Mind you they do come with a lifetime warranty but that could mean a week?

Post #282633 29th Nov 2015 1:43 pm
MrPotatoHead

Ordered today, so will let you know!

Post #282994 1st Dec 2015 9:21 pm
LR NUT

Whistle

MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior

Post #282996 1st Dec 2015 9:24 pm
MrPotatoHead

Thank you.

I have seen this, and watched three times already!

Just bought a spoiler off PowerfulUK...think they are a great company.

Can't say much for DHL though...told me they had delivered the spoiler to number 9 today, but number 9 (who I know well) had nothing for me. Cue and irate call to DHL asking where my spoiler is. They will be getting back to me tomorrow after they have spoken to the driver...

Post #282998 1st Dec 2015 9:27 pm
taztastic

England 

I followed the video when fitting mine, easy enough, mine are non gen ones off eBay, bit of a poor finish under the paint on the crossbar, underside so not seen, the rails themselves were and still are fine Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Post #283000 1st Dec 2015 9:29 pm
LR NUT

If it did bother you could rub it down with some sand paper and then shoot over it with Hycote Matt Black Wink

**Edit** just noticed you have some deepish gashes. So filler would be needed prior to painting! MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior

Post #283011 1st Dec 2015 9:57 pm
taztastic

England 

All the other parts are fine, extruded aluminium, the end brackets are cast, if there is one thing they cannot do in China, it's cast parts, always horrifically executed and a dead give away as to parts origin.

Post #283026 1st Dec 2015 11:00 pm
MrPotatoHead

So, I bought and have fitted these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Freelander-2-Roo...941923469?

They look well-made, and now they are fitted to the car, they are very sturdy. I didn't think they would be when I opened the box, but I was wrong. Will post some photos later.

I've since found out the only difference between the rails for sunroof's (LR007220) and the rails for no sunroof (LR006608), is that the rails for no sun roof have three ridges underneath the main cross-member, and the rails for sunroofs only have one. Something to do with wind-noise. I have no issue with excess wind noise, and hardly notice they have been fitted. Thanks to LR Nut for reliably informing me that he had no issue with wind noise either, as this was a concern of mine before I purchased.

Fitting them was OK, but I had three problems, one was much more of an issue than the other two.

1) The very first thing the PowerfulUK video tells you to do is remove the plastic 'Christmas tree' plugs from the rear mounting points. I did, but one of them snapped in the mounting point, and I had to drill it out. However, with the help of some long nose pliers and WD40, I managed to get it free. It's a bit bum-clenching when you are drilling into a plastic plug directly above the very thin roof metal...one slip and you're through the roof.

2) In removing the front trim to allow me to drill the hole to fit the front mount, the entire trim, baseplate and all came off in my hand, as the sticky pads were perished. It took a bit of petrol to remove the residue of the old fixing, and some Unibond Outdoor sticky fixers to replace like new

3) In tightening the front driver-side bolt into the mount in the roof, I snapped the bolt in the mount. EEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKK!!!! I bought some stud removers from Screwfix, drilled a hole in the bolt and then used the stud removers to remove the bolt. Well...that's what I did in my dreams...what actually happened, is that the stud remover snapped in the bolt....double EEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKK!!!! I then had to remove the mounting point, and scratch my head, thinking of a way to remove the bolt. Cue my father's bright idea, of hack-sawing the top 3mm-4mm of the mount off carefully, whilst making sure to not saw through the bolt. I did this, put it in a vice and turned...and hey presto the bolt came out. I then reassembled, making sure to put the top 3mm-4mm of the mount back so as to not allow the bolt to over-tighten the rail and distort either the rail or the roof of the car.

If you can manage to avoid all three of the issues above, then you too will have a relatively pain free fitting of roof rails!!

Last edited by MrPotatoHead on 31st Dec 2015 8:29 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #285775 31st Dec 2015 12:02 pm
Merlinrocket

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Orkney Grey

Hi Guys
I have just fitted exactly the same kit and also made exactly the same mistakes in snapping the Torx bolts. What a palaver!
I then cut 5mm off the other bolts as I think they are all too long and bind in the threads. I am also replacing all the bolts with hex bolts in stainless.
Hopefully others reading this will take heed and shorten the bolts before fitting or at least take great care when tightening the bolts!
Wish I had found this thread before undertaking the job myself.......

Post #285793 31st Dec 2015 5:46 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>