Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Alignment, before or after.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Stubbenoldgit

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Lux Auto Zermatt Silver
Alignment, before or after.

Bit of a debate here.

Going to get new tyres fitted, Nokian Weatherproof, the current wear WRG2 have been excellent all year round. They might, at an extreme push do another winter, well the rears definitely would, but the fronts are down to a gnats over 3.5mm, so time to change soon.

As when fitted the last set going to get a 4 wheel alignment done, but the tyre fitter going to use this time doesn't have 4 wheel alignment kit. The nearest place with Hunter kit is about 7 miles away.

So get it aligned first then fit the new tyres, or fit them and drive to the alignment?

One school of thought says any miles if the alignment is out is bad, especially early on when they're bedding in. Second school of thought says why take accurate measurements on something you're going to take off shortly after. Another school of thought is why not go back to the place used before, except they are now getting a bit reluctant to fit tyres bought off Internet. My response to that is that if they would deal in Nokian, even as a special order, would buy from them, but instead they try and push expensive alternatives that aren't wanted / have inferior performance.

Post #281668 19th Nov 2015 11:35 am
Stuartc

Australia 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

If your current tyres are displaying abnormal wear, I would get alignment first as obviously something is out. Otherwise get new tyres fitted and if it's only 7km to get 4 wheel wheel alignment this is perfectly acceptable. MY15
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Surround Camera System
InControl Apps soon to be replaced with CarPlay (WIP)
Meridian Premium Surround Sound
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Meridian Rear Media with WIFI
Factory Powered Tailgate
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
Reverse Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Electrochromatic Wing Mirrors (WIP)

Post #281670 19th Nov 2015 12:03 pm
Browny90

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

I would get the new tyres fitted first then drive to the other place for the allignment..

or.. buy the tyres cheaper at the fisrt place, that them to the other place and pay ~£10 a corner for them to fit and allign?

just a thought.. Thumbs Up

Post #281673 19th Nov 2015 12:18 pm
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

Theres a few places who used to fit tyres provided by you that will no longer do so, they wont fit tyres they havent supplied as if it blows just down the road and causes an accident they could be liable, whilst you might understand them not wanting to fit the cheaper Chinese branding Kumhongs etc, they wont even fit new top name/brand tyres as they say we dont know if they have been stored correctly from elsewhere.

Whilst you can perhaps see where they are coming from on that they will however remove any tyre to repair a puncture and refit that regardless of what or whose tyre it might happen to be, then you could drive off and it could blow and cause an accident, whats the difference??

I can see how its going no repairs or tyre removed and refitted unless you have one of their brand new ones to replace it with or they dont want to know??

Post #281677 19th Nov 2015 12:40 pm
Stubbenoldgit

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Lux Auto Zermatt Silver

I suspect there's nothing much wrong with the alignment tbh, apart from what you get from the usual up and down potholed farm and forest tracks. The set has done well over 30k, apart from a bit of outer shoulder wear on the fronts, and it's only a bit, then very even across the rest.

Post #281678 19th Nov 2015 12:42 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1