« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > MOST Network
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Stuartc

Australia 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green
MOST Network

Was wondering if anyone with technical knowledge could help me with a couple of question in regards to the Media Orientated System Transport Network on the Freelander 2.

In the situation of a MOST network failure, after resetting power supply via AJB and forcing a Ring Break Diagnostic does the fault code information become available via the "E Mode" menu on the touchscreen or does a MOST tester have to be connected to the system to access the fault codes from the integrated control module?
If so how is this device attached? - via the USB port?
I was of the understanding the OBD port doesn't handle MOST diagnostics.

As the network travels only in 1 direction, each module only has one tx and rx fibre optic attachment. Any advice of online suppliers of inline patch adaptors/plug in loom?

Software - how is the MOST network software updated or flashed. Can the software be changed, updated to different versions?

Any shared knowledge be greatly appreciated.

Stu MY15
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Surround Camera System
InControl Apps soon to be replaced with CarPlay (WIP)
Meridian Premium Surround Sound
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Meridian Rear Media with WIFI
Factory Powered Tailgate
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
Reverse Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Electrochromatic Wing Mirrors (WIP)

Post #280628 8th Nov 2015 2:30 pm
Stuartc

Well! Looks like a "to hard basket" question so I'll
Just have to keep hitting the books/Internet Whistle MY15
Surround Camera System
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Factory Powered Tailgate

Post #280669 9th Nov 2015 9:25 am
Cambo

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black
Re: MOST Network

Stuartc wrote:
Was wondering if anyone with technical knowledge could help me with a couple of question in regards to the Media Orientated System Transport Network on the Freelander 2.

Depends if I know the answer or not, what exactly are your goals here? There are some guys working on reverse engineering the entertainment systems in JLR vehicles as we speak, because it's more or less a unified platform between all the vehicles now. Options in one vehicle, could be activated in another that never had that option, for example.

Stuartc wrote:
In the situation of a MOST network failure, after resetting power supply via AJB and forcing a Ring Break Diagnostic does the fault code information become available via the "E Mode" menu on the touchscreen or does a MOST tester have to be connected to the system to access the fault codes from the integrated control module?

Why do you need to test the MOST network? If there is a failure in the network such as a non-functioning module, or the loop is open you will get DTC's which can be read with the SDD diagnostic system.

Stuartc wrote:
If so how is this device attached? - via the USB port?

MOST tester? have you got a link to such a device?

Stuartc wrote:
I was of the understanding the OBD port doesn't handle MOST diagnostics.

Perhaps not a generic OBD2 device but for sure SDD accesses the MOST network via the OBD port.

Stuartc wrote:
As the network travels only in 1 direction, each module only has one tx and rx fibre optic attachment. Any advice of online suppliers of inline patch adaptors/plug in loom?

I found a couple of suppliers on Alibaba, have a look in my OEM Bluetooth Phone Retrofit thread

Stuartc wrote:
Software - how is the MOST network software updated or flashed. Can the software be changed, updated to different versions?

Yes it can. Primarily this is done with the SDD diagnostic system. Individual modules can be updated, although for some (I think the touchscreen?) a file is generated by SDD on a USB stick. SDD tells you when to put the stick into the cars USB socket, and then it updates. You need both SDD and the stick, which is made by the SDD. 2008 Freelander 2 HSE Si6 Black/Black - Hers
2009 Jaguar XKR 4.2 S/C Portfolio
2005 Jaguar XJR 4.2 S/C Black/Cranberry

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L AWD - Gone

Post #280984 12th Nov 2015 1:19 pm
Stuartc

Thxs Cambo for replying Thumbs Up thought you'd be the one to offer some help after seeing you retofit the bluetooth module.

"What are my goals here"?
Namely not in any order

1. To educate myself about the vehicles technology as ive come to realize that the dealers really don't have sufficient knowledge, skill or time to really offer assistance. They just want to plug it in change oil and hand over the cash.

2. Evoque runs identical system but has "extra features" softkey to activate 4x4 screen and Reverse camera whilst in forward motion. There is no reason for, at least a MY15 FL2 vehicle not to have this other than software differences, so i would like to be able to understand enough to be able to find this out. This is a handy feature if you have a fully loaded cargo area and need to see directly behind you.

3. At some stage i would like to retrofit the DAB module which sits on top of the amplifier in the rear cargo area. The only real barrier to me doing this is that the rear ICE harness has to be changed which runs from the main ICE dash connection at the gearshift to the rear of the vehicle connecting the modules and aerials. The new Harness is just under $1,300 and involves removing the interior basically. The only difference between the Analogue Harness in Australian build cars LR051601 and the digital harness LR051600 is the MOST loop fiber optic cable. As the DAB module only requires a TX/RX MOST connection, permanent MOST power supply, ground and 2 aerial connections (Satellite dome and DAB amplifier, which are present and already connected) I would like to use the MOST connection to the amplifier to remove either the TX or RX cable to include the DAB module, thus integrating the DAB module into the MOST loop and negating the need to purchase a whole new harness.

4. Recently learnt that due to JLRA wanting to avoid litigation from a buyer having an accident whilst entering a destination via the Voice Activation System the ability to enter a destination via postcode, street address or POI's have been deleted from all JLRA products which obviously means we run a different software version. Australian Software only allows a saved "home or voicetag" entries to be activated by voice command. Post code, street address and POI's can only be entered via touch screen. Dealer has told me that they cannot change this version and i'm assuming this would make them liable otherwise. This software version would be located in the MOST Integrated Head Unit/control module of which the version information is available from the touch screen E Mode main menu.

So, as you can see these are the reasons why i need to understand the technology. I also like a project and whilst any of these aren't necessary I enjoy a challenge as well as the project.
And as you say "because it's more or less a uniform platform across the range, options in one vehicle, could be activated in another". JLR/JLRA offer options in one and not the other purely for product/model differentiation thus its just a case of identifying the software and initiating, in most cases. MY15
Surround Camera System
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Factory Powered Tailgate

Post #281462 17th Nov 2015 1:55 pm
parrafin23

Norway 

I have no idea if it will work, but its software we are talkin about.. can the touch screen handle diffrent software?
take the evoque touch screen software and try and flash it to your screen and see what happens, if it fails, then just flash the orig file back. But perhaps then you should run SDD in "backdoor mode"

Mr.P

Post #281475 17th Nov 2015 4:44 pm
DAC364

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Orkney Grey

I'd suggest the answers lie with QNX http://www.qnx.com/products/qnxcar/index.html

I'm aware that BlackBerry are heavily into 'The Internet of Things' and QNX are big players in critical medical software as well as vehicles. I don't know if they allow mere mortals anywhere near the coding to interfere with the software, but they obviously do a great deal of systems integration, so there must be ways to upate or engineer the software Td4 XS manual, Orkney Grey, MY2014

Post #281477 17th Nov 2015 4:59 pm
Cambo

Cool, this should be fun Smile

Stuartc wrote:
2. Evoque runs identical system but has "extra features" softkey to activate 4x4 screen and Reverse camera whilst in forward motion. There is no reason for, at least a MY15 FL2 vehicle not to have this other than software differences, so i would like to be able to understand enough to be able to find this out. This is a handy feature if you have a fully loaded cargo area and need to see directly behind you.

Are you sure it's absolutely identical? Check the size of the screen. My understanding is that the Freelander and the Jag XF have a shared system with a 7" screen, whereas the Evoque has an 8" screen (GEN2.1 IAM2.1), and it was the first JLR vehicle to have this system. Which is now fitted to the F-Type, Range Rover, etc...

Stuartc wrote:
3. At some stage i would like to retrofit the DAB module which sits on top of the amplifier in the rear cargo area. The only real barrier to me doing this is that the rear ICE harness has to be changed which runs from the main ICE dash connection at the gearshift to the rear of the vehicle connecting the modules and aerials. The new Harness is just under $1,300 and involves removing the interior basically. The only difference between the Analogue Harness in Australian build cars LR051601 and the digital harness LR051600 is the MOST loop fiber optic cable. As the DAB module only requires a TX/RX MOST connection, permanent MOST power supply, ground and 2 aerial connections (Satellite dome and DAB amplifier, which are present and already connected) I would like to use the MOST connection to the amplifier to remove either the TX or RX cable to include the DAB module, thus integrating the DAB module into the MOST loop and negating the need to purchase a whole new harness.

Yeah in that case I would tap into the power connections at the amp and use one of those loop-extending 3-plug fiber optic pieces.

Stuartc wrote:
4. Recently learnt that due to JLRA wanting to avoid litigation from a buyer having an accident whilst entering a destination via the Voice Activation System the ability to enter a destination via postcode, street address or POI's have been deleted from all JLRA products which obviously means we run a different software version. Australian Software only allows a saved "home or voicetag" entries to be activated by voice command. Post code, street address and POI's can only be entered via touch screen. Dealer has told me that they cannot change this version and i'm assuming this would make them liable otherwise. This software version would be located in the MOST Integrated Head Unit/control module of which the version information is available from the touch screen E Mode main menu.

First I heard of it, but in any case it's possible to flash ANY compatible software/firmware into the entertainment system. It's only a matter of identifying the correct files. And doing some difference procedures to re-flash.

Stuartc wrote:
And as you say "because it's more or less a uniform platform across the range, options in one vehicle, could be activated in another". JLR/JLRA offer options in one and not the other purely for product/model differentiation thus its just a case of identifying the software and initiating, in most cases.

So long as it is the shared platform, then yes it is possible (see previous comments about the LR2/XF systems being different to the Evoque, etc).

As I said before there are a few guys who really know the ins and outs of these cars, and would be able to guide you through such endeavours. To be honest i'm not so deeply knowledgeable compared to those guys. But if you really want to go for it i'll put you in touch with them. 2008 Freelander 2 HSE Si6 Black/Black - Hers

Post #281538 18th Nov 2015 1:50 am
Stuartc

Yes, your correct the Evoque has an 8" screen but the operating system it runs is exactly the same as FL2. Same camera system aswell unless you option for the surround camera option. The single camera version is able to be activated from the screen, via the "Extra Features" softkey whereas the FL2 camera disengages as soon as forward speed goes above 5km/h. No option to activate whilst travelling forward.

That be great Cambo if you could put me in touch as I really need to get my head around the technology so i can better understand and then whats possible.
I've sort of got my head around the MOST, the MOST 3 way cable is on its way, i'm pretty confident with automotive wiring and schematics, Topix but i need to get my head around SSD and how software is identified and flashing to vehicle. I'm going to purchase a Gap Diagnostic IID Tool in the future.

I'm also be in the market for a DAB Module and as there are no Freelander 2's in Australia with DAB I was wondering if Jag used the same module. Can I ask who you used to source module's who could be of assistance. Otherwise I'll need to get a new one.

Appreciate your help Thumbs Up MY15
Surround Camera System
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Factory Powered Tailgate

Post #281683 19th Nov 2015 2:07 pm
Stuartc

Yes, your correct the Evoque has an 8" screen but the operating system it runs is exactly the same as FL2. Same camera system aswell unless you option for the surround camera option. The single camera version is able to be activated from the screen, via the "Extra Features" softkey whereas the FL2 camera disengages as soon as forward speed goes above 5km/h. No option to activate whilst travelling forward.

That be great Cambo if you could put me in touch as I really need to get my head around the technology so i can better understand and then whats possible.
I've sort of got my head around the MOST, the MOST 3 way cable is on its way, i'm pretty confident with automotive wiring and schematics, Topix but i need to get my head around SSD and how software is identified and flashing to vehicle. I'm going to purchase a Gap Diagnostic IID Tool in the future.

I'm also be in the market for a DAB Module and as there are no Freelander 2's in Australia with DAB I was wondering if Jag used the same module. Can I ask who you used to source module's who could be of assistance. Otherwise I'll need to get a new one.

Appreciate your help Thumbs Up MY15
Surround Camera System
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Factory Powered Tailgate

Post #281684 19th Nov 2015 2:07 pm
Cambo

Stuartc wrote:

The user interface might appear to be the same but the hardware & firmware might be different. I've been told that the Freelander and Evoque have different sound system and intertainent system. Evoque was the first car in JLR with installed GEN2.1 IAM2.1 head unit. Freelander had the MMM2 Volvo system (but I think that means the older, pre-Meridian systems).

What components / part numbers have you cross checked between the Evoque and the Freelander 2?

Stuartc wrote:

I'll PM you some contact details.

Stuartc wrote:

I'm not familar with the Gap IID, but the JLR SDD is what these guys use for programming and retrofitting the sound systems, I don't know if the Gap can do the same things. I imagine not, a Nanocom probably could but for the costs involved SDD is a better option for late model cars. I think so anyhow.

Stuartc wrote:

If you have a Land Rover part number I can cross check it against the Jag part numbers. I prefer buying stuff second hand (because of price), but it depends on what's available. 2008 Freelander 2 HSE Si6 Black/Black - Hers

Post #281722 20th Nov 2015 1:07 am
Stuartc

Hi Cambo, just seen your reply will get back to you a little later on those points Thumbs Up
Interesting enough just found a Gen 2.1 HHD update which included LR2/Freelander 2 Meridian compatitability.

I've currently got an Evoque as mines in getting tow hitch fitted (I'm a lazy git/house renovations taking too much time) I'm going to go into the E Mode menu and check which version software it's running and check against the Freelander. MY15
Surround Camera System
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Factory Powered Tailgate

Post #281723 20th Nov 2015 1:28 am
Cambo

Well that's a good sign!

If indeed the hardware is the same, then it will be possible to flash the Evoque firmware in, it's just a matter of identifying the files used by the Evoque.

The file names for the firmware version will be a similar format to the hardware names, like CX23-14F667-AJ, same sort of format. I don't know if you'll be able to see that via the touchscreen, generally it can only be read with SDD (or maybe a Nanocom?) 2008 Freelander 2 HSE Si6 Black/Black - Hers

Post #281724 20th Nov 2015 4:36 am
Stuartc

Cambo wrote:
[The user interface might appear to be the same but the hardware & firmware might be different. I've been told that the Freelander and Evoque have different sound system and intertainent system. Evoque was the first car in JLR with installed GEN2.1 IAM2.1 head unit. Freelander had the MMM2 Volvo system (but I think that means the older, pre-Meridian systems).]

MY13 onwards the Freelander 2 and Evoque shared the same Meridian system.
Overall Software Version Evoque - 5230_140422
Freelander 2 - 4662_140611
Field Programmable Gateway Array and Video FPGA are different
Touch Firmware ID, Build is identical for both - 1.1, 0xAB

What components / part numbers have you cross checked between the Evoque and the Freelander 2?

Havn't checked any components between Evoque and Freelander 2 as yet.

I'm not familar with the Gap IID, but the JLR SDD is what these guys use for programming and retrofitting the sound systems, I don't know if the Gap can do the same things. I imagine not, a Nanocom probably could but for the costs involved SDD is a better option for late model cars. I think so anyhow.

This is where im needing to swat up on. Ive only searched online for SSD, is this something that you can run on your laptop to communicate with vehicle through OBD port? Whats the best way to start off with learning about this? Does it require a paid subscription?

If you have a Land Rover part number I can cross check it against the Jag part numbers. I prefer buying stuff second hand (because of price), but it depends on what's available.

MY13 onwards the Freelander 2 and Evoque shared the same Meridian system.
Overall Software Version Evoque - 5230_140422
Freelander 2 - 4662_140611
Field Programmable Gateway Array and Video FPGA are different
Touch Firmware ID, Build is identical for both - 1.1, 0xAB

Havn't checked any components between Evoque and Freelander 2 as yet.

This is where im needing to swat up on. Ive only searched online for SSD, is this something that you can run on your laptop to communicate with vehicle through OBD port? Whats the best way to start off with learning about this? Does it require a paid subscription?

Im being led to believe the correct part number is LR055684. There is at least 8 others and its a bit hard to narrow down as the latest vin only goes to EH------ whereas my vin is FH------. LR057988, LR65726, LR49659 may also be worth a try. MY15
Surround Camera System
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Factory Powered Tailgate

Post #281766 20th Nov 2015 2:20 pm
Stuartc

SDD Software

Ok Cambo, been trolling the internet and have been looking at SDD.
Where do i download the software from?
I'll need a OBD2??? cable? Any suggestions for OBD2 cable, any advice for/against/avoid? MY15
Surround Camera System
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Factory Powered Tailgate

Post #281770 20th Nov 2015 3:07 pm
Cambo

The software versions mentioned don't tell me much unfortunately...

I'll send you a PM about the software and interfaces.

Regarding the DAB modules.

LR055684 is the same part as Jaguar C2D37612, which is superceded by C2D43035/LR065726, these are the DAB receivers from the Jaguar XF (big surprise!) but also used in the XJ, F-Type, probably the XE as well.

Interesting when I look at the F-Type parts, there is a note about the entertainment system changing to the "infotainment gen 2.1 head unit" for the newest models. I don't know exactly what the version was before that, or it could just be some random stuff in the catalog.

So I guess if you can find a DAB module from a late model XF, XJ or F-Type then you might be OK.

For the Jag's it's noted there are some different versions too;

HD Radio
SDARS
DAB <<-- this is the C2D43035

I know that for the earlier cars there were different systems for different markets, and that's where the SDARS came in.

Are you 100% sure that DAB is the right thing for Australia, not SDARS or HD Radio (whatever that is!) 2008 Freelander 2 HSE Si6 Black/Black - Hers

Post #281816 21st Nov 2015 2:50 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>