Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > United Kingdom > What can I drive now the Frrelander 2 is gone!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
kilopapamike

2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black
What can I drive now the Frrelander 2 is gone!!

Why would I want a Discovery Sport 7 Seater (sic) restyled version of a Freelander?

I have heard for years that cars do not need spares and it reduce weight, so why put in an unwanted 3rd row of seats which must be at least as heavy but they have little or no use. I now what I prefer when I am stuck on the side of the road with a flat tire and have been able to specify over my last 3 Freelanders.

But the concept is not thought through - suppose I was silly enough to load up the Discovery sport with 5 adults and either 2 small people and a top box for the luggage or just 5 adults and holiday luggage and have a puncture.

The rubber spray will not repair all problems and according to the AA not very many at all or you have a reduced size spare, what do I do with the huge wheel and tyre that I have just taken off. Which of my passengers wants the filthy flat tyre on their lap for the rest of the journey!!!!!

It is not just LR I know I am looking for a replacement and as there is a suitable small Volvo SUV I checked it out and once again only a space saver. Is this total madness or do Swedes really set out in the middle of winter without a proper spare.

Post #279547 27th Oct 2015 11:25 am
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

Do they have run flats instead I wondered?
Some cars do now which allow you to drive for 50 miles or so with it punctured, this will get you home or at least to a garage.
This is whats needed now if they insist on not providing a spare I think??

Post #279552 27th Oct 2015 12:44 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Beemers have run flats and they cost the earth. 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #279582 27th Oct 2015 3:36 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

after 15 years with Landrover I bought a Volvo XC60, and yes I paid an extra £150 for a proper spare wheel.

but if I'm honest Volvo put's Landrover to shame in terms of build quality and design technology.

Iain

Post #279600 27th Oct 2015 5:58 pm
Landiroamer

dunkley201 wrote:
Beemers have run flats and they cost the earth.

I agree they are very expensive, my MINI costs me over £1000 a set but its cheap if you consider the possible blow out with conventional tyres leaving you and the family on the hard shoulder in the freezing cold in mid winter waiting for a tow truck to turn up, and thats why i have the run flat tyres
If LR provided them as an option i would have had them on that too even though i was given a proper spare for free ive still no desire to lie in the road changing it in the wet

Post #279603 27th Oct 2015 6:43 pm
frawdder

Scotland 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I was surprised when I replaced the run flats a couple of year back, exact same price for the same size non-run flat tyres on my GTi. Prices are a bit lower and there is more choice now. They were rather unforgiving with sports suspension, though might be OK on a 4x4.

Can't be repaired so could get expensive if you are unlucky with punctures.

Post #279637 27th Oct 2015 9:46 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red
Re: What can I drive now the Frrelander 2 is gone!!

kilopapamike wrote:
Why would I want a Discovery Sport 7 Seater (sic) restyled version of a Freelander?

I have heard for years that cars do not need spares and it reduce weight, so why put in an unwanted 3rd row of seats which must be at least as heavy but they have little or no use. I now what I prefer when I am stuck on the side of the road with a flat tire and have been able to specify over my last 3 Freelanders.

But the concept is not thought through - suppose I was silly enough to load up the Discovery sport with 5 adults and either 2 small people and a top box for the luggage or just 5 adults and holiday luggage and have a puncture.

The rubber spray will not repair all problems and according to the AA not very many at all or you have a reduced size spare, what do I do with the huge wheel and tyre that I have just taken off. Which of my passengers wants the filthy flat tyre on their lap for the rest of the journey!!!!!

It is not just LR I know I am looking for a replacement and as there is a suitable small Volvo SUV I checked it out and once again only a space saver. Is this total madness or do Swedes really set out in the middle of winter without a proper spare.

Its gone a bit off topic with tyres but I also like my FL2 and the Disco Sport is not the car for me or its price. So YES what next or do we all wait to see what the new defender is like and priced at? I have a proper spare !

Post #280241 3rd Nov 2015 4:30 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

We've just gone from a FL2 to an Evoque. Didn't want to go bigger and I think the DS is too big for what we need and in any case, the only ones in our price range were manual models. I paid £400 for a spare wheel, boot liner, jack and wheel brace for our Evoque. Well, I didn't actually pay it, I demanded it as part of the deal and on the invoice I noticed they'd dropped the price of the car by £400 and then added £400 back on as 'spare wheel kit'. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #280282 3rd Nov 2015 11:04 pm
Landiroamer

And did they try to add on 300 quid for polishing it too like they tried with me?
Crafty devils added it to the bill, good job i spotted it before i paid up. Rolling Eyes

Post #280287 4th Nov 2015 4:36 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

No. But when I was doing the deal, they did ask if I wanted it protected it with some product or another for a price. Forget what they wanted but I refused it anyway. When I had the test drive, I noticed a few small scratches and scuffs and the prep guy pointed them out anyway and told me they would be done before handover as well as a mop and polish. Came to me gleaming. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #280291 4th Nov 2015 6:40 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I got the polish thing thrown in free and then on the bill was charged for it but with an equal reduction on the purchase price of the car. I guess it's all about getting a £50 bonus for selling extras. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #280309 4th Nov 2015 9:31 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Steve D wrote:
We've just gone from a FL2 to an Evoque. Didn't want to go bigger and I think the DS is too big for what we need and in any case, the only ones in our price range were manual models. I paid £400 for a spare wheel, boot liner, jack and wheel brace for our Evoque. Well, I didn't actually pay it, I demanded it as part of the deal and on the invoice I noticed they'd dropped the price of the car by £400 and then added £400 back on as 'spare wheel kit'.

Was thinking of it might have to be an Evoque, would need a tow bar for my allotment trailer but I guess its not known yet how that new engine is doing so what model ? And those going off topic re polishing the sales person needs to get a Car Protection Kit sold to make to up their bonus. My last salesman now retired suggested he made 60K plus a year.

Post #280325 4th Nov 2015 10:32 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1