« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Bubbling inside wheel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
pjbnet

2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey
Bubbling inside wheel

I have a 13 plate FL2 coming up to the end of its warranty.

After cleaning it myself at the weekend I have noticed quite a large area of bubbling on the inside of the wheels and paint starting to come off.

The dealership I rang advised that this is probably due to car wash people using a strong acid to clean the wheels and therefore LR probably wouldnt fix this under warranty

Is this correct? I have probably only used the car wash people a couple of times and my wife uses one a lot more. It s interesting that a 3 yr old landrover has bubbling wheels but a 5yr old Rav 4 has no signs of paint problems. She has owned the Rav4 from new and I have had the FL2 for about a year.

Post #279441 26th Oct 2015 10:03 am
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

If you have the 17" rims fitted there is very little clearance between the front brake caliper and the inside of the rim.
If youre a bit ham fisted or clumsy when taking a wheel off or refitting it its very easy to knock the rim on the caliper and chip the paint on the inner rim.
Then as this surface doesnt get cleaned very often, once the finish is chipped its very easy for the corrosion to take hold and spread under the rest of the paint, especially in winter when the roads are covered in salt.
I would think this is what caused your rim damage, now to find out whos fault it was??

I woudnt be the slightest bit surprised if the LR dealer didnt do it during the servicing, Ive seen them drop and throw the wheels on the floor when they are removing them, they dont take all that much care you know half the time Rolling Eyes

Post #279447 26th Oct 2015 11:45 am
pjbnet

2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

Sounds like its pointless trying to get them done under warranty so it will have the refurbished. They are 17" ones and was quoted £70 + Vat each (roughly) from the Stealer.

Im sure I can get them done cheaper than at the stealers but is it worth me waiting for a while until it gets a bit worse and really needs doing or is that a false economy as they will need more work to refurbish them?

Post #279467 26th Oct 2015 5:29 pm
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

I suppose the longer you leave it the more the corrosion gets a hold and eats away at the alloy.
As its only on the inner rim, hard to see once fitted, surface why not do it yourself?
Sand off the corroded area, apply some etching primer and then a coat of silver top coat, something like smooth Hammerite or similar??
At least it will stop it going any worse until you decide one day to get the whole wheel done proffessionally?

Post #279481 26th Oct 2015 7:41 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1