Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Which towbar to get?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
alans835

Scotland 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Fuji White
Which towbar to get?

Hello folks I am picking up our new Freelander 2 sport in a couple of weeks once I get home from work. My question is which towbar should I get? I would like a detachable one but it needs to fit with the sport/dynamic body kit. I have been looking on the forum but have only seen folk fitting the Brink one which looks from pics a substantial kit however I'm seeing lots of bad reports on them. Is there any others that would be suitable that don't require me to cut large section from the bumpers? Regards

Alan

Post #263834 15th May 2015 2:43 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

The Witter does not need a bumper cut on the standard bumper. There may be others but I doubt you would find a model any lower. If your body kit is lower than the standard it would still need a cut. Take a look at the PF Jones web site. You can see a range of towbars to fit the FL2, with diagrams too. http://www.pfjones.co.uk/

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #263835 15th May 2015 3:04 pm
alans835

Thanks for the advice dunkley201 I ended up going for the Bosal vertical detachable towbar with LR genuine electrics. The bumper required some very small cuts on the underside which are not visible unless your under the car. The quality seems very good, very happy with finished result. Will posts some pics later for those have the sport bumper and would like a towbar. Regards

Alan

Post #267664 22nd Jun 2015 10:02 am
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

Realise this is a bit late but here's mine. I specc'ed a genuine Land Rover fixed tow bar and it was a dealer fit option,factory not available and yes a small square section was cut but you have to be lying underneath the car to notice!

Close up rear shot

Click image to enlarge

Rear Shot

Side Shot

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Last edited by LR NUT on 22nd Jun 2015 11:14 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #267674 22nd Jun 2015 11:09 am
dunkley201

alans835 wrote:
Thanks for the advice dunkley201 I ended up going for the Bosal vertical detachable towbar with LR genuine electrics. The bumper required some very small cuts on the underside which are not visible unless your under the car. The quality seems very good, very happy with finished result. Will posts some pics later for those have the sport bumper and would like a towbar.

Happy to help Alan. Will be good to see pics of the Bosal detachable bar. Thumbs Up

Post #267678 22nd Jun 2015 11:13 am
alans835

Here is some pics of the towbar in place.

I have added a bracket for the electrics so that it pulls it back far enough so that the bumper doesn't need to be cut anymore and the electrics can swing up out of sight when not in use.

Pic of the towbar removed and electrics folded out of sight.

Really pleased with the end result, my only top tip is if you need genuine LR electrics programmed then just put it to LR as it cost me a whole heep of grief and money by not doing this! Regards

Alan

Post #267718 22nd Jun 2015 5:01 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

MY13 onwards the towbars electrics do not require any activation. Which is the way LR should have made them to begin with Rolling Eyes MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #267726 22nd Jun 2015 7:24 pm
hinchy

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Aintree Green

I just had a Witter towbar fitted but too be honest I prefer the LR towbar, looks neater. The Witter looks bulky. MY13 HSE LUX Aintree Green
MY57 SE Stornoway Grey. Gone
Nissan X Trail
Discovery V8 LPG
Series II Land Rover

Post #267733 22nd Jun 2015 8:15 pm
alans835

Yeah I know what u mean the LR towbar does look a decent fit especially on the standard bumper just a pity that so many people have had serious problems with it. I know completely agree LR Nut really annoys me after spending a lot of pennies on the wiring kit to then have to pay £60+ to programme it. The wiring kit for the newer Freelander 2 is cheaper as well! Banging Head Regards

Alan

Post #267736 22nd Jun 2015 8:37 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

I have the LR detachable and touch wood, 2 1/2 years on (and just transferred to 'new' car) with absolutely no issues at all. It mainly tows a 1.6 tonne single axle caravan and less often, a dinky little unbraked trailer.

Post #267744 22nd Jun 2015 9:20 pm
alans835

It's strange that some have problems and some are perfect with an item like that you would think they would all be next to identical, if it's working for you then happy days. I really liked the look of the brink one but was worried with the bad reports. Regards

Alan

Post #267749 22nd Jun 2015 11:00 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

I didn't get to choose my current tow bar as it was fitted by the LR dealer as part of the deal on my last car. On my previous two non LR cars I had a Westphalia and a Witter, both detachables.

None of the three have given any cause for concern or dissatisfaction but the Westphalia was perhaps a touch less easy to put on and take off.

Luck of the draw I guess. As long as they do what they should quietly and safely...

Post #267761 23rd Jun 2015 2:19 am
dunkley201

Mine came with a LR detachable fitted. Also the dreaded "clunk" when hooked to the 'van. Put me off detachables! Now have a fixed flange Witter. Fugly but won't fall off!

Post #267765 23rd Jun 2015 7:58 am
Metropolis

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue

I'm looking to get a Towbar fitted to my 64'Plate Metropolis. I was quoted north of £700 for a genuine LR Towbar with Electrics and Fitting which compares to £450 for a Witter. I'll only ever tow a trailer and wonder if £700+ is actually worth it based on some of the feedback here. I'm looking for a detachable towbar ideally to keep things nice and neat. Any thoughts/suggestions for alternatives (would prefer not to have bumper cut).

Post #268279 29th Jun 2015 2:45 pm
alans835

I fitted the towbar myself including the wiring kit. in total it cost me £350 including having LR programme my car, However i have noticed that the wiring kit to suit your age of car is around £80 odd from LR im also sure with your age of car you will not require it to be programmed too.The Bosal towbar i have is only £160 from PF Jones. depending on what rear bumper you have will determine how much of the towbar you see once fitted. As you can see from my pics once the towbar is detached you cannot see anything. Hope this helps a bit. Regards

Alan

Post #268282 29th Jun 2015 3:45 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>