« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Terrain response system faulty - Day 2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
casper

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black
Terrain response system faulty - Day 2

The Stealers have my 2007 car to fix this problem today and just as well the service manager picked it up and drove it in all be it i missed that nice blonde receptionist who still always looks stunning even at 8am showing me to the waiting area and supping coffee from the ultra expensive machine which tastes like drain water whilst pondering the delights or not of switching to a nice shiny Evoque. But at least it I could spend my day productively. http://www.freel2.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Update is that the fault reappeared on start up which he also confirmed disabled cruise control etc bad news is that when they plugged it into the nice shiny diagnostics machine no fault codes where found. Worse still when the technician drove it the fault had totally disappeared so they are keeping it overnight to do a cold start am to see if fault comes back and puts it into limp mode but I have a bad feeling about this and the resulting bill. Any bets on Haldex or ABS Module should I have a sweepstake on this might help pay for the bil.

Has anyone plotted the cost and time one spends running an FL2 dealing with stealers, unearthing hidden mysterious LR tech bulletins with fixes for shoddy design with no liability of course, trying to second case which part might fail next and prevent, fixing as much as you can yourself to keep the bills down, why do we do it? http://www.freel2.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_whistle.gif I will stop rambling now.

Post #242483 26th Nov 2014 10:31 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Could be as simple as an ABS wheel sensor. Corrosion / debris will cause intermittant fault that disables t.control and cruise control Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #242484 26th Nov 2014 10:44 pm
casper

Andy131
I hope it is something simple, would that cause the Terrain Response Faulty to flash up.

Post #242492 26th Nov 2014 11:15 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Yes
The system needs to know which wheels have traction and which are spinning, it uses the ABS wheel sensors for that. One of mine went intermittantly faulty. I have a hand held diagnostic unit so can interrogte the faults when they occur, rather than the dealer days later, so was able to find the fault. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #242520 27th Nov 2014 12:32 am
casper

Me thinks i need to get one of those handheld units would get payback after using the stealers everytime i have problem. Used to have for mrs casper micra. Which unit do you have and how much is it.

Post #242526 27th Nov 2014 7:57 am
casper

Terrain response system faulty - Day 3

Stealers found nothing and everything is now working and conclusion was low battery charge.

I have ordered a new battery since last was about 2 years back.

So maybe change batteries every 2 years? as in previous posts it must hammer the battery I can only conclude that it is because I do a lot of short 10 min runs in the week but would have a thought the weekends would charge it up. Unless it is a faulty battery?, it was premium Exide i might add.

Post #242578 27th Nov 2014 5:26 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Battery life - mines over 6 years old, original fitted at manufacture, then again it's 40 miles each way to work.

I use a Hawkeye by bearmach for diagnostics. There are units with more functions, and it's expensive at £300 but has saved several times it's cost price. The hawkeye doesn't need a computer so it lives in the boot - you ALLWAYS breakdown at home, don't you?
It also has a very simple interface for those who are not JLR qualified technicians 😳
Look on the bright side, you might be spending a lot on batteries, but you won't be spending £120 a WEEK on fuel 😒 Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #242695 28th Nov 2014 8:00 am
V40TC

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Indus Silver

Similar issues on a Jaguar I had
low battery was the curse of the Electronic park brake and other electrical items cruise etc
after a while I just got a CTEK MX5 and left that on the car when not in use
problems went away

Post #242696 28th Nov 2014 8:14 am
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

My 2008 model had the same issue for 3 years.
On start up the following would appear

Terrain response disabled
ABS disabled
Performance reduced

Often the wipers would do a single sweep ! Annoying when the screen was frozen. After 3 long years of dealer finding nothing wrong in desperation I fitted an extra earth strap from the battery to the engine block under one of the starter motor housing bolts ! Transformed the car and no more issues on start up. Went back to landrover for further investigation and they eventually found the battery earth strap to body corroded internally. Looked perfect from the outside but all green and crunchy on the inside of the shrink wrap. Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #242699 28th Nov 2014 8:34 am
casper

Thanks all i have ordered myself an earth strap along with a new battery after reading all the posts
amazing LR fitted it to later models. I only to 6 miles a day station and back but obviously lot more at weekend so puts a load on battery however have high hopes the earth strap will stop this issue.
Also been checking out the Hawkeye, many thanks again.

Post #242704 28th Nov 2014 9:24 am
ElkyElky

United Kingdom 

Can you provide a link to where you ordered it? Planning on adding a second one myself although I'm not experiencing any issues so it's just a precautionary fix.

Post #242874 29th Nov 2014 2:42 pm
casper

TERRAIN RESPONSE CODE FAULTY RETURNS

Fault is back again after 4 months of working without problem clearing and fitting earth strap mod and new battery.

Also plugged in the Faultmate FCR from blackbox expecting to find something but no fault codes are logged so nothing to checkout or reset

Considering replacing the Terrain Control module switch LR022208 seems to be the current replacement for RHD since original part nos have been made obsolete took a bit of digging to find this out before that Iwill probally unplug and replug the conector to see what happens. Anyone have any ideas?

Post #255978 7th Mar 2015 8:24 pm
RichP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

If the fault went away when you fitted the earth strap, then check the connections on that, they may have worked loose?

Post #255992 7th Mar 2015 9:50 pm
casper

The fault originally dissapeared after it came back from a dealer and the same as me they found no fault codes.
The system appeared to have reset after a 20 mile trip over to the dealer. They checked it out but found nothng so when I had it back from the dealer working ok I fiited the earth strap and changed the battery to stop at coming back.
Bought myself the reader so I could capture any fault codes as it happened but no codes on it.
Unfortunately its back again, but I will check connections but these were pretty tight on so be surprised if they have got loose.

Post #256001 7th Mar 2015 10:53 pm
casper

now have Terrain Response Fault code see below

U0401 Invalid data received from engine control module/powertrain control module - Componet Failure

What does this mean and how to fix it? Any ideas

Post #256043 8th Mar 2015 12:24 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>