Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Increasing Ground Clearance & Larger Mud Terrain Tyres.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Uncleron

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Bali Blue

Yes I am sure these wheels will be fine - These just look a different style to mine but still Genuine Land Rover FL2 Original Equipment 17" wheels so I would strongly suspect the ET figures would be identical.

Post #284427 15th Dec 2015 12:30 am
Acciola

Malta 

Thats super Uncleron... Can't wait to have them installed Smile

FYI.. Bought my Freelander from Taggard in Glasgow and drove it all the way to Malta Smile

Post #284428 15th Dec 2015 12:44 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Uncleron

I know Taggarts the Land Rover dealer in Glasgow well as they are only about 15minutes away from where I live - That's a long, long way from Malta!!

I found these General Grabber AT 245/70 X 17 tyres a great way of gaining almost 25mm in ground clearance over my worn out standard Good Year Wranglers and I still like the look of these tyres too..... It was certainly a lot easier gaining the first 25mm in ground clearance with these tyres than it was getting the 2nd 25mm increase with suspension spacers.

I don't think you will be dissappointed with them.

Post #284429 15th Dec 2015 1:20 am
Acciola

Malta 

It was an exciting experience for me, flying to Edinburgh and being picked up by a Taggarts driver taking me to Glaagow to collect my new (used) Freelander 2 and immediately taking off on my road trip to Malta. Drove to Birmingham where I collected my delivered extras that I had previously ordered and were delivered by Duckworth to my hotel and then picked up my friend from the airport the next day and went off on our trip. Would love to do it all over Smile

So back to my wheels.. Im certainly going to get my 245/70/R17 AT Grabber tires and the rims I showed you. And in the meantime, Im going to also order a set of spacer to complete the job. I was advised a couple of years ago on this forum to have the front at 25mm and the back at 30mm.

Post #284435 15th Dec 2015 9:58 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
douglash

South Africa 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Fuji White

Below we have the 'standard' 245/70/17 mud terrains. Smile

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 My Ride: Clickety-click

Post #284447 15th Dec 2015 2:01 pm
Acciola

Malta 

You're really winding me up with these Evil or Very Mad Very Happy

Post #284449 15th Dec 2015 2:09 pm
Uncleron

Acciola wrote:
It was an exciting experience for me, flying to Edinburgh and being picked up by a Taggarts driver taking me to Glaagow to collect my new (used) Freelander 2 and immediately taking off on my road trip to Malta. Drove to Birmingham where I collected my delivered extras that I had previously ordered and were delivered by Duckworth to my hotel and then picked up my friend from the airport the next day and went off on our trip. Would love to do it all over Smile

So back to my wheels.. Im certainly going to get my 245/70/R17 AT Grabber tires and the rims I showed you. And in the meantime, Im going to also order a set of spacer to complete the job. I was advised a couple of years ago on this forum to have the front at 25mm and the back at 30mm.

There is more detail on this previous thread on suspension spacers;

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic21462.html?highlight=spacers

You will see on that thread I went for 20mm wide spacers on the front in order to prevent the driveshafts being able to touch the subframe at all as well as trying to reduce the likelihood of future drivetrain issues and 25mm spacers on the rear to increase ground clearance as much as possible but still keep the car fairly level.

I must have driven about 15,000 miles now with these spacers and I still think these thicknesses are a good all round compromise.......

Post #284662 18th Dec 2015 3:48 am
Acciola

Malta 

I know its always good to play safe but have there been any issues with anyone using 25mm & 30mm? I understand quite a few people used these sizes in the past. Thing is I really want to get maximum clearance as possible but then wonder now if 5mm is going to make that much difference.

Post #284663 18th Dec 2015 7:36 am
cqr

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

I'am surprised these spacers are not In production
There seems to be a market for them 2008 xs
Snorkel
raised axle/gearbox breathers
Mantec tank guard
Cb radio
Blanked EGR
Sump guard
Scratches
Snolkle

Post #284682 18th Dec 2015 12:23 pm
Mudstuck

United Kingdom 

I also am interested in lifting my Freelander so could somebody with more techno knowledge than me create a poll on here so as to establish how many Peep's interested with a view to finding a supplier or someone capable of manufacturing? Thanks Mark. Thumbs Up

Post #284754 18th Dec 2015 9:23 pm
ronp

Scotland 

I know someone who'll make them.
He has a company and makes them for D3s. FL2 now gone and have a couple of items left for sale:-

Brodit active iPhone holder + Brodit dash clip,
Bluetooth Music Streaming Module.

Post #284762 18th Dec 2015 9:58 pm
Uncleron

Acciola wrote:
I know its always good to play safe but have there been any issues with anyone using 25mm & 30mm? I understand quite a few people used these sizes in the past. Thing is I really want to get maximum clearance as possible but then wonder now if 5mm is going to make that much difference.

I did quite a bit of research before deciding on the 20mm width for my front spacers and 25mm for my rears. The people who had fitted spacers before me and played more on the safe side I think settled on about 10 to 12mm which for me was not enough of a benefit to make it worth the trouble and cost to fit them.

I am not aware of many people who have fitted 25mm or greater spacers on the front of FL2's as at this point the research I did indicated that you start to require to modify / cut away some of the front subframe to ensure the front driveshafts do not come into contact the subframe at full travel which was not something I wanted to do at the time and for me I am still happy that was the right decision for me but I am sure it could be done.......

Post #284774 18th Dec 2015 11:44 pm
Uncleron

One other slight negative of the increased ride height that came to light on my Freelander 2 during a recent holiday in the highlands of Scotland was the increased, almost uncomfortable roll / pitch on tight and twisty roads when fully loaded.

My first 25mm of increased ground clearance came from the increased tyre size to my General Grabber At's 245/70 X 17 followed about a year ago with a further 25mm increase in ground clearance with the suspension spacers and my most recent 13mm increase in ground clearance came from fitting a set of Kumho KL71 265/70 X 17 Mud Terrain tyres.

These mods have been great for me off road and in particular enabling me to do Non Freelander / Evoque friendly runs and training days with the Scottish Green Road Club - Albeit with the support of 'Tim in Scotland' on this Forum who now has a Defender and he has kindly run alongside side / volunteered to rescue me if required in order to keep the organisers happy and let me take part in my FL2 - Up to now I have not required any rescuing on any of these events but it's good to have him there and I definitely enjoy the harder challenges on these events......

With the increase in ride height I do not really notice much difference on the road 99% of the time - except the car feels a bit higher to get into! What I did notice recently though, and my wife commented on too without me saying anything was the increase in roll / pitch when travelling fully loaded up to a holiday cottage in the highlands of Scotland. At the time we had the FL2 rear seats folded, a car full of gear inside (including some camping gear) , 2 Kayaks on the roof, 2 bikes on a tow bar mounted cycle carrier and when travelling along the very tight and twisty roads in North Scotland I ended up having to slow down a bit with my wife feeling a bit queasy due to the increase in roll / pitch - I believe a similarly loaded standard FL2 would have been fine on these roads. (For reference I had taken the Kumho KL71's off for this holiday and I was running my General Grabber 245/70 X 17 AT's)

As soon as we ditched all the gear my FL2 was fine again on these roads but for me the FL2 definitely suffers a noticeable negative impact on ride quality with being raised when it's fully loaded in the tight and twisties - Suppose this should be no surprise really but I thought this experience was at least worth sharing for anyone else thinking of raising their FL2.

Post #284776 19th Dec 2015 1:04 am
Acciola

Malta 

Thanks for the very valuable feedback and is much appreciated. However, in my case, since I live on a tiny island and with the occasional trip to the Sicilian mountains, I doubt it will be a problem but good to know and to be prepared.

Post #284939 20th Dec 2015 7:45 pm
Acciola

Malta 

Hi all..

So finally I went to my local engineer here in Malta to ask him if he can fabricate the suspension spacers for me but we seem to have a lack of communication on the material. I believe it needs to be fabricated in Polyurethane and when I mentioned that to him, he wasnt aware of that material and told me that he uses Nylon which he believes will do the job as its a very strong material which will not crack. And then he has another plastic material for which he doesnt know the English name for it but doesnt believe its strong enough as he said it can crack after a while. He also suggested to do it in Aluminium.

I wanted to see what you guys have to say about this before I go ahead and value your opinion. Keep in mind this is in Malta and some people might not be familiar with certain terms.

Post #289206 2nd Feb 2016 6:12 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>