« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Tailgate locking
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bogart

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey
Tailgate locking

Yes it is this old cherry again. Before I waste time on a new microswitch will explain what is happening.
Using fob to unlock all doors unlock except tailgate. Unlocks fine on tailgate fob button. Will not always lock wit other doors. Giving it a good slam fixes it most of the time. Sitting in the car reading the locking/unlocking bit of the owners manual the tailgate is merrily clicking 2 or 3 times every few seconds then shuts up
Now having read all the posts, well a lot, regarding this problem most people say change the switch in the handle.
If this switch is faulty why does the tailgate open without a problem when using the tailgate only button?

Post #436679 30th Oct 2023 3:19 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Cos operating the fob button doesnt involve the microswitch in the door handle.

Genuine microswitches are about £50 IIRC but you can get perfectly good aftermarket one for about £15- just be aware there are different looms with different connections for the number plate lights. Check yours before buying.
Some people cut the new loom off and simply connect the new switch where the old one was.

This is how they come = but with variations in the looms

Jules

Post #436681 30th Oct 2023 6:03 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

I've had a few tailgate switches fail and found aftermarket versions don't seem to last too long, I think I'll buy a genuine one next time. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #436685 30th Oct 2023 9:13 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red
Re: Tailgate locking

Bogart wrote:
Yes it is this old cherry again. Before I waste time on a new microswitch will explain what is happening.
Using fob to unlock all doors unlock except tailgate. Unlocks fine on tailgate fob button. Will not always lock wit other doors. Giving it a good slam fixes it most of the time. Sitting in the car reading the locking/unlocking bit of the owners manual the tailgate is merrily clicking 2 or 3 times every few seconds then shuts up
Now having read all the posts, well a lot, regarding this problem most people say change the switch in the handle.
If this switch is faulty why does the tailgate open without a problem when using the tailgate only button?

The button in the tailgate is sticking after you've used it, and slamming the tailgate a few times is enough to unstick it.

The tailgate doesn't lock like a door. It's got an electric motor which releases the catch in response from a command sent by the CJB. So it's basically always locked, unless the CCU drives the motor to unlock it. When the vehicle is locked, the CCU only powers the unlock motor in response to the remote button, but it ignores the tailgate release button on the handle.

You simply need to replace the handle switch. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. My daily driver.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #436688 30th Oct 2023 9:51 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Bobupndown wrote:
I've had a few tailgate switches fail and found aftermarket versions don't seem to last too long, I think I'll buy a genuine one next time.

my cheapo one has lasted 18 months so far - fingers crossed it will continue to work for a while longer Laughing Jules

Post #436690 31st Oct 2023 12:24 am
Bogart

Right then new switch it is thanks.

Post #436692 31st Oct 2023 10:07 am
Aveling

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red

I did this job on my 64 plate Metropolis the other day.
I bought the cheaper genuine switch for an older model, prized the old switch out of the boot handle with a screwdriver - cut the two wires and joined on the new switch - not important which wires were connected to each other, as it's only a make or break contact.
Stuffed it back in the hole - works perfectly.
Ten minute job.

Post #436693 31st Oct 2023 10:31 am
Bogart

I have taken out the tailgate moulding as the paint is all bubbling. I painted, seems not very well , the whole thing some 18 mths ago to match the vehicle colour as I did not like the crappy grey colour which was present. Looked okay then I think the sun did it. It has all bubbled so either I repaint it or is there a version that is black to begin with?
All I can seem to find is them in grey.

Post #436697 31st Oct 2023 11:53 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1