« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Finance & Insurance > Insurance and winter 4x4 and SORN
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black
Insurance and winter 4x4 and SORN

Right, wondered if anyone knows the answer to this.

Currently my family has an FL2 and an Audi A4. We have just moved to an area which becomes problematic if there is any sort of bad winter.

I have considered buying a cheap 4x4, ie FL1, Jimmy, X-Trail or something which would be SORN'd until needed. I known it doesn't need to be insured when off the road but when it came to being on the road, would I need a separate policy or do most normal policies cover this sort of thing? I'm a named driver on my wife's insurance and vice versa but don't know how changing cars for say 3 months of the year would work.

Cheers. Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #273801 26th Aug 2015 5:55 pm
DAC364

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Orkney Grey

The car will need insurance in its own right. You might get a discount on a limited mileage policy. If you're thinking you can get away with 3rd party cover from one of your other policies, insurance companies have closed that gap by insisting the 3rd party vehicle must have its own policy, and not be owned by you. Continuous Insurance Enforcement ensures that you'd have to insure it unless it's SORN.

I was a traffic cop for 23 years - you'll come unstuck if you try a dodge.

http://www.mib.org.uk/Motor+Insurance+Data...efault.htm Td4 XS manual, Orkney Grey, MY2014

Last edited by DAC364 on 26th Aug 2015 8:39 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #273822 26th Aug 2015 8:35 pm
Chuckalicious

Thanks. No intentions of trying to do anything cheeky. Just wondered if there were ways of using one policy (legally) on 2 cars if you're the only one driving. Would certainly SORN it as soon as was sensible.

Could be that it isn't financially viable but I like to know my.options. Learned to drive in 2011.
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k

Post #273823 26th Aug 2015 8:38 pm
DAC364

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Orkney Grey

The days of owning a mini and using your mates Ferrari on 3rd party are long gone! Td4 XS manual, Orkney Grey, MY2014

Post #273824 26th Aug 2015 8:40 pm
Chuckalicious

Smile

Have never ever considered 3rd party, so no issues there. Learned to drive in 2011.

Post #273825 26th Aug 2015 8:41 pm
choccymonster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Most policies will allow you to add a temporary vehicle for an additional premium.

However this is intended for situations where you have borrowed a car temporarily whilst your main vehicle is off the road for one reason or another. You may find, therefore, that there is a restriction on the length of time the temporary vehicle can be on the policy (and the number of times you can add it).

The other thing to consider is that it is not intended that both cars on the policy be driven at the same time (after all it is a temporary addition to "get you out of a hole"). So the temporary vehicle (the FL1) would have to be added to the A4's policy.

The more I type, the more convinced I am that this is not suitable.

If the intent is to lay up/SORN the A4 in October time, and switch to the FL1 - and then perform the reverse in March time then I would have thought simply calling your insurance company and transferring the policy in its entirety to the FL1 in October and back to the A4 in March would be the best course of action.

There'll be an admin fee to pay and a lot of faff calling the insurance company every 6 months. In my book, this seems like a bit of a ball-ache, frankly.

I'd have thought, overall, the better bet would be to chop in the A4 (plus your £2-3k you were going to spend on a "banger") and get a second 4x4 on the drive permanently. You're then covered for most weather eventualities, and with no insurance/SORN headaches....

Post #273835 26th Aug 2015 10:06 pm
Chuckalicious

I would agree, it does seem like itd be a pain. I'm just trying to find the best solution. My wife doesn't enjoy driving the FL2/and loves her A4.

If it comes to it then yes we would get shot of the Audi, but that's a last resort .

My current policy allows me to drive any other vehicle while mine is getting repaired for up to a week, which isn't that helpful in this situation. Learned to drive in 2011.

Post #273849 27th Aug 2015 5:10 am
Metropolis

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue

I had a similar situation after my previous car got written off in an accident (a patch of diesel on a roundabout that had me pirouetting into the crash barrier). Rather than rushing to buy a new vehicle, I decided to get a cheap and cheerful runabout and then take my time deciding on what to get as a replacement (no prizes for guessing what I eventually bought). My insurance company (Liverpool Victoria) agreed to put the runabout on the old policy from the write off for no additional charge.

When I got the Metropolis, I was told that I could either leave "as is" and insure the Metropolis separately, or transfer the No Claims to the Metropolis. This seemed sensible because it cut the £1800 premium down to £350, but left me with a £200 bill for the runabout which no longer had any no claims. LV told me that they would have honoured the No Claims on both vehicles had it not been for the write off Big Cry

So you might find that your Insurance Company may or may not honour your existing No Claims on another vehicle; it seems to be down to their discretion and your policy terms, but certainly something to watch out for because it may make your plans expensive. If they do honour the No Claims then it's probably not that much more expensive to insure both separately and keep them both available. If the A4 breaks down and the Freelander is SORN, you're Censored whereas it could be your rescue vehicle if needed.

Once you factor in the admin fees from your Insurance Company to keep swapping the vehicles, and the potential VED costs from the refunding of full months only every time you SORN, plus the aggravation, you'll probably find it's no more expensive to have both cars available, plus you get the added flexibility. IMHO of course!

Post #273855 27th Aug 2015 8:38 am
Chuckalicious

3 cars isn't going to happen I'm afraid. We moved to reduce costs, not increase them! It could be that we just leave it until we get a winter that the A4 doesn't cope with and then change, but 4x4s will be more expensive at that point plus the A4 would be older and thus worth less.

Decisions decisions. Learned to drive in 2011.

Post #273862 27th Aug 2015 10:04 am
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

You wont get no claims on both cars you own in your name, you only supposed to have it on the one, your main user.

Post #273869 27th Aug 2015 11:52 am
Chuckalicious

Ach well, think the sensible option will be to wait and see how we cope. We have just bought a set of winters for the Audi so that'd be a waste In suppose. Learned to drive in 2011.

Post #273873 27th Aug 2015 12:44 pm
Metropolis

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue

Have you considered chopping the Audi in for an AllRoad? At least you get 4WD capabilities and it's still an Audi. (I'm not making any judgement on the AllRoad's capabilities, but it might help you combine Audi and 4x4 if your good lady doesn't like a proper 4x4).

Post #273876 27th Aug 2015 12:58 pm
Chuckalicious

I had forgotten about the All Road. I will check out used prices. We only need something to get us up a potentially iffy hill and into town. Good call. Learned to drive in 2011.

Post #273878 27th Aug 2015 1:13 pm
anglaslt

Lithuania 2015 Freelander 2 2.0T HSE Lux Auto Havana

Chuckalicious wrote:
Ach well, think the sensible option will be to wait and see how we cope. We have just bought a set of winters for the Audi so that'd be a waste In suppose.

I seem to recall you bought Wintrac 4 Xtreme for the Audi. I think you need not worry, they're proper winter tyres and if you've not used winters before you'll be surprised at the difference they make. driving on the right side

Post #273882 27th Aug 2015 1:46 pm
Chuckalicious

I did indeed. Suppose it makes sense to find out what they are capable of first. Learned to drive in 2011.

Post #273896 27th Aug 2015 4:24 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>