Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Anders D

Japan 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Alaska White
Oil leak from air duct connection, after organ pipes

Hello Smile

I am brand new to LR and this forum.
Had my 08 FL2 2.2 D for abour 3 months and I so far adore the car..

I have been reading about this leak on previous posts and have also noticed a moist engine protective cover (underneath) and a small drop if I f.ex havent used the car for a week. My non dealer garage have looked at it and only generally identified the "breathing pipe" and the valve cover gasket.. It is now using a bit oil at longer trips so i recon this has now worsened

I am a bit confused now as the local Land Rover garage advised today, that this leak is actually from a clogged filter inside the valve cover (?) and oil being pushed inside the air intake and other places..

I have read on this forum that people have had similar issues resolved with a new jubilee clip right after the "organ pipe" on the air intake pipe, exactly where mine has a thin oil film at all times.

My questions are as follows:

- Is it normal with oil residue in this pipe?
- Is there a non serviceable filter inside the valve cover, that can only be changed with the cover?
- Will i get away with changing the clip or is there a seal inside that joint as well?

I was thinking of changing the clip and the valve cover gasket, but I was hoping that I wouldn't need a brand new cover (with a filter ?) as well.

Please advise Smile

Thank you,

Anders

Post #273710 25th Aug 2015 8:04 pm
turboextreme

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Loire Blue

My freelander requires the oil to be topped every now and again as I always like it around the maximum mark.
I had a leak in the pipe under the clip this was caused by a slight tear in the hose as the clip seams squeeze the pipe when disconnected. If you are losing quite a bit of oil check the Intercooler to egr hose at the front of the engine as the joint weaps if the hose is not pushed on the plastic pipe properly. This pipe caused my freelander to lose a bit of power and coated the lower engine and sump with oil.

I find my freely uses less oil using Comma X tech 5w/30. Thumbs Up

Post #273714 25th Aug 2015 8:46 pm
Anders D

Thank you for your response, I will def. check that hose, I have also heard of this plastic / metal hose.
Interested to know about being able to seal the intake hose joint where the leak is at also, might try to change to a wider jubilee / hose clamp and clean the area.. I also see a screw missing right under this joint as well (?)

Any input on the valve cover filter part would be much appriciated, this seems odd to me..

Has anyone changed the valve cover gasket on this car, easy access?

Thanks,

/Anders

Post #273727 25th Aug 2015 9:51 pm
turboextreme

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Loire Blue

The freelander 2 doesn't have a filter at the top of the engine, the earlier bmw engine had a crankcase breather filter the later PSA engine has a oil separator so all the crud goes directly to the sump this is why annual oil services are required.
My Rocker box Gasket weaps a little amount of oil which i will replace if it gets bad.

Here is a Link for a full copy of the Freelander 2 repair manual inc wiring diagrams plus has other landrover models. Thumbs Up

http://www.d-lander.com/manuals/

Post #273749 26th Aug 2015 8:15 am
Anders D

Thank you, again, really.
I have looked at this some more today + changed the cheap original steel spring clips to jubilee / hose clamps.

There was some oil in the air duct, so I cleaned it and the area. I dont think this is where its loosing the oil.

I can feel and see a thin film of oil on the rear side (towards engine) and it also feels like the plastic is cracked (over laps of sorts) can't determine if this is just the hose clamp, impossible to have a look without EGR removal:

Click image to enlarge

I also saw a bolt missing, lots of oil sweat and a small oil pit below and around what looks like the cover you are talking about:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Ill probably change the gasket on this when I get the time or if it worsens, looks like a bit fiddling to get the cover off though. To be fair, the car has done almost 160k km, not unusual with some of this.

All I see is a hose going from the end of this to the air intake, is there another hose draining from this to the sump?

Thank you for the manual, will probably come in handy. have to change the rear shocks shoon Thumbs Up

Post #273806 26th Aug 2015 7:35 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Yes it's normal, oil vapour settles and seeps out

Mine caused it to set on fire and bellow loads of smoke out from under the bonnet driving up Hardknott Pass

Turned out that when I pulled over it was just the oil that had seeped down on to the hot pipes below

The fire was Member Pegleg holding his lighter to it taking the Censored out of my slight panic Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #273807 26th Aug 2015 7:47 pm
Anders D

Thanks.

Wow, hope nothing got damaged in the fire? Shocked

Ill keep an eye on the oil level, top it and change the gasket eventually..

Will probably have to check / change some hoses as well, as I can hear a radical "air hiss" like an air leak or something when pushing the throttle - will have to get a grip on all this..

Post #273912 27th Aug 2015 8:09 pm
Arctic

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Marked for future reference

Post #319880 21st Mar 2017 2:42 am
MCJ

South Africa 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Fuji White

Hello,

I have noticed black carbon look like oil that has been accumulating and dry on engine protective cover (underneath). Left side of engine left last injector and harness is located.

I have noticed too that there was oil leaking on top of cover from small hose parallel to air intake on top engine cover. I don't know if this is related and leaked and accumulated underneath.

Is this common?
What might be the problem ?
Can i hose this are with water to clean ?
I have cleaned some of this off by scratching with a wire and vacuum it but not enough.

Please see photos below. Many thanks for feedback

FOREVER LEARNING

Post #361447 2nd Dec 2018 11:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1