« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Sticking Clutch Pedal Problem Solved
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
irishjag

Ireland 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black
Sticking Clutch Pedal Problem Solved

I posted a problem with an intermittently sticking clutch pedal problem some time ago as part of another thread.

A few things have happenned since, including two trips to the garage and total clutch failure while pulling a loaded horse box (!!!) but I wont bore you all with all the details.

Upshot is that the sticking clutch pedal was due to a leak at the point where the clutch fluid pipe connects to the gearbox casing/slave cyclinder. This problem followed and was a result of the gearbox change that was carried out under warranty.
After a 'not very effective' repair the pipe popped off completely. The complete pipe and seal has now been replaced and solved the problem.

So if you have a clutch pedal that intermittently wont come back up, check for leaks at this junction, especially if any gearbox/clutch work has been carried out recently.

Regards

Post #223424 29th Apr 2014 12:51 pm
NAZCA SAND 67

Ireland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Nazca Sand

Hi Irishjag I have a 07 manual bought back in July this year and the clutch pedal seems a bit sticky when 1st applying pressure. I'm also getting the clutch bite right at the top of the travel which makes me think the clutch is worn out.
Whilst being a mechanic I lack a lift and relevant tools to undertake the gearbox /transfer box removal so I'm looking for a recommended garage to undertake the job without ripping me off and know what they are doing so as not to damage anything (haldex)!
I'm outside Waterford with most of the South East an easy drive any recommendations would be welcome.
Thanks

Post #239594 31st Oct 2014 10:41 am
irishjag

Ireland 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Nazca

I have used Derek Burton in Kilpeddar. Hardly in the south east but its not too far from me ( I live around Gorey) and its where I bought it. They did repair the problem for me, but after two visits. I use them for services and don't feel like I'm getting done.
You could ask them for a quote. I think they do a fair amount of work on Landrovers.

Post #239601 31st Oct 2014 12:16 pm
NAZCA SAND 67

Thanks for prompt reply, yes Gorey way is prob too far for me (I'm Nr Piltown).
Might give them a call for price so I have an idea of what I'm looking at.
Cheers

Post #239611 31st Oct 2014 2:11 pm
NAZCA SAND 67

Update it's now June 2015 and the jeep is going well but the clutch pedal started to stick on release a few weeks back. Today I bled the system and was shocked at the state of the fluid coming out. It was almost black which I know indicates the seals in the slave cylinder are pretty worn, as well as it was probably very old!

Having bled the system ( note it's only bleeding to the point at the gearbox entry, don't think it bleeds the actual slave cylinder), the clutch downward travel now feels a lot smoother, but I'm still getting a sticky return pedal. That along with the DMF rumble at idle means we are facing very shortly a gearbox out job and all clutch items renewed.

It's probably why I bought her way below going rate at the time! Lol

Least I got a year out of her and maybe more, hoping she will last the summer. No slip so it's down to how long the slave cylinder lasts.

Post #268167 27th Jun 2015 1:10 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1