Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > United Kingdom > Independent LR garages
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
NLRU01

It would be most secure if not done with google docs. Advantage is that it's easy.

As it exists now it could be made more secure:
I could limit who can access it based on them having to have the link (but that makes no sense as the link would be publicly available on here anyway).
I can force people to have a google account to be able to view it (I don't like 'forcing' people to use google)
I can limit editing to specific individuals

The last is the most secure way if using google docs....but it has the potential to become a bind as people come and go etc. which is why I didn't do that.

Post #273791 26th Aug 2015 5:30 pm
DrRpb

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

Lost for Words wrote:
Great idea guys. Added Steve Norman (T & S Norman, Shepton Mallet). Thumbs Up

Edit: Posted on DISCO3 and FFRR to get more recommendations too. Wink

And RRSport too....? * GONE. GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* GONE.2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Rocket ship. 33mpg.
* Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975 Smile

Post #273792 26th Aug 2015 5:31 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Quote:
It would be most secure if not done with google docs. Advantage is that it's easy.

As it exists now it could be made more secure:
I could limit who can access it based on them having to have the link (but that makes no sense as the link would be publicly available on here anyway).
I can force people to have a google account to be able to view it (I don't like 'forcing' people to use google)
I can limit editing to specific individuals

The last is the most secure way if using google docs....but it has the potential to become a bind as people come and go etc. which is why I didn't do that.

Yes, I can see all your resoning. One option I'm wondering about, is if Martin could/would produce another map like the members map.

Quote:
And RRSport too....?

I saw you'd already posted it there, so I didn't put another one in. Might be a good idea to have a separate thread though, so I'll add one now. Thumbs Up

Can add Defender2 as well I guess... Might leave BabyRR, RRSPORT2 and DISCOSPORT for tomorrow... Laughing Freelander 2 2007 TD4 Manual HSE Tambora Flame
Discovery 3 2006 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver
Previously: Freelander 2 2007 TD4 Manual SE Santorini Black

Post #273795 26th Aug 2015 5:53 pm
NLRU01

I've no doubt Martin could do another map as it appears that the registered users map just uses the google API. It would still be the same situation where one or more people become responsible for administering it (not that it would take much work).

Automating it, like the registered users map, would allow anyone with 'membership' to add details - so Random Garage Ltd. could add their business as long as they registered on the bulletin board.

Post #273798 26th Aug 2015 6:03 pm
Lost for Words

Yes, but if it has to be done with forum membership, I would think it should be possible to arrange something whereby the suggesting member(s) can be seen, and moderated as part of the forum? Freelander 2 2007 TD4 Manual HSE Tambora Flame

Post #273799 26th Aug 2015 6:16 pm
NLRU01

I don't see that it helps with security. It would certainly make it appear slicker if built into the bulletin board.

I'm not shown on the registered users map as I haven't included the info in my profile - I can put whatever I want in there, it's not moderated.

For registered users to recommend something and it be put on a 'secure' map we'd have to have a moderator to enter the data into the mysql database that underpins the bulletin board (or to approve a form entry). Then use the google api and simple php to display the data. We are back to restricting editing rights to a person (or small group of nominated people).

Quite amusing really as the reason I put them on a map was they are easy to see and I left it open access so that anyone could use it. Would anyone look for the map if they hadn't seen the link on here? Would a garage look for it to decide to put themselves on there? I doubt it. Sometimes we overthink and consequently over-engineer things.

Post #273800 26th Aug 2015 6:34 pm
Lost for Words

It doesn't make it fully secure, but it would work a little like the For Sale section; members can feel comfortable when they can see that a seller is a well established member.

As you say, I don't see that it's an issue at the moment, but I can see this map becoming very popular, so there is potential. Recommendations from these highly reputed forums tend to be worth quite a lot more than other sources. Thumbs Up

Placing the link in a members only forum section would probably do the trick, but it would be nice to let everyone see it... Freelander 2 2007 TD4 Manual HSE Tambora Flame

Post #273802 26th Aug 2015 7:06 pm
Lost for Words

Just giving this a little bump for suggestions across the forums. Thumbs Up Freelander 2 2007 TD4 Manual HSE Tambora Flame

Post #274679 4th Sep 2015 11:46 am
Thon

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

Lost for Words wrote:
Great idea guys. Added Steve Norman (T & S Norman, Shepton Mallet).

I second Steve Norman - and would add Nick Paxton to the list, whose workshop is between Shepton Mallet and Frome.

Don't judge his work by the website: -

http://www.nickpaxton.co.uk

Post #274690 4th Sep 2015 2:30 pm
Lost for Words

Have you got a little more specific location for him so I can stick him on the map? Thumbs Up

I'm considering offering to administrate the map if it's decided to prevent public editing (assuming morfis would be happy for me to). I'm aware that some may not want to use Google so, for now, for those that don't want to give Google their details (and I don't blame you), feel free to send them by PM and I'll add them. All I ask is that you please include all the relevant details (specific latitude and longitude, website, address, phone number etc.). Will see how this goes for the time being. Thumbs Up Freelander 2 2007 TD4 Manual HSE Tambora Flame

Post #274707 4th Sep 2015 4:33 pm
Thon

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

He isn't any more specific than the location I have already stated, and it's always best to phone him beforehand anyway.

He doesn't actively seek "passing trade" generally because his work is word of mouth, and repeat business with long standing clients. I used to work for him just after I left Uni and have taken my vehicles to him ever since - around 25 years.

Post #274723 4th Sep 2015 6:22 pm
NLRU01

[quote="Lost for Words"]Have you got a little more specific location for him so I can stick him on the map? :thumbsup:

I'm considering offering to administrate the map if it's decided to prevent public editing (assuming morfis would be happy for me to). I'm aware that some may not want to use Google so, for now, for those that don't want to give Google their details (and I don't blame you), feel free to send them by PM and I'll add them. All I ask is that you please include all the relevant details (specific latitude and longitude, website, address, phone number etc.). Will see how this goes for the time being. :thumbsup:[/quote]

I've not got a problem with people adding garages on behalf of other subscribers - I'd suggest that only the request goes via PM and not the details of the garage though. That would keep things more transparent and also gives two locations for the info...the map and this thread.

Post #274773 5th Sep 2015 12:07 am
Lost for Words

I can see your reasoning, but people can add to the thread in addition. Receiving them from any/all of Martin's forums, I have to ask for the information to be available in one place - as notifications in my email inbox. Thumbs Up Freelander 2 2007 TD4 Manual HSE Tambora Flame

Post #274791 5th Sep 2015 9:28 am
scrimple

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Ipanema Sand

I have the fortune/misfortune to live in Lincolnshire, I would have expected this to be a good LR area what with the high agriculture in the area, but as you can see from the map, there is a dearth of LR garages here Big Cry Big Cry  MY2014 SD4 XS
Ipanema Sand

MY10 TD4-e GS Manual
Lago Grey Now retired after 8 trouble free years

Post #274801 5th Sep 2015 11:00 am
Scientist

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue
Independent Landrover a garage

I have been following the commentary on possibly restricting updates to the map for independent landrover garages.
Please can you added Premier Garage Service at Hazel Grove near Stockport to the map. I took my Freelander 2 Metropolis here today for its first service. It is a Landrover approved garage. I have previously recommended it and another member of the forum has recently used the garage and has left positive feedback on this site.
The website is
http://www.premiergarageservices.co.uk/landrover
Thanks
Colette Freelander 2 Metropolis 64 in Loire Blue with Ivory Windsor Leather. Previously Range Rover Evoque PureTech for 3weeks. Freelander2 XS and Freelander2 S.

Post #275907 15th Sep 2015 3:28 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 6 <123456>