Print this entire topic · 
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Guilty then - Old Fart Laughing FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #313268 16th Dec 2016 2:42 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Maybe not an Old Fart, just from the wrong side of the Pennines, where people are ................ more frugal

And where every pound is a prisoner

Lancashire born and bred, strong int arm, weak int yed Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #313280 16th Dec 2016 9:13 pm
rob_b_2000

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Currently on second haldex unit in 3 months and I am now again getting the juddering when setting off on full lock and reversing from a standstill.

Both fitted by main LR Dealer who basically told me there is rarely any problem with this issue ( haha - do they think we are stupid ?)

My FL is a lease vehicle through my employer hence I do not pay the bills so cost is not the issue, HOWEVER I am totally fed up of whole thing. Vehicle was in main dealers for ten days both times. Lease is up in May and new BMW 5 Series ordered.

My question - If I pull the fuse of the haldex unit (seen it stated as FB 6 But according to my handbook it may be FB1) will this just leave me with front wheel drive only and eliminate any haldex related juddering to the rear etc......if so I am seriously tempted and will bang it back it the day before it goes back !

Am toying with the morality of this as would not want it to be sold on to an unsuspecting buyer but has any one any idea if this will work ?

Thanks

Rob

Post #315909 21st Jan 2017 8:31 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

It depends what your lease company does with the car. I'm 9 months out of wage slavery now, but had company cars for the last 30 years. Every car I had went straight to the auctions. Personally I always made sure that the car was 100% before it went back apart from stone chips, alloy dings etc, as I didn't like the idea of anyone getting any trouble. I also think a Freelander is the sort of car that might attract a private bidder so personally I'd be even more inclined to get it sorted. Surely your main dealer will give you a courtesy car? And you have already said there is no bill to pick up.

Ps you will love the 5 series, I did 100k miles in one . One of the most comfortable cars you can ever drive, they are brilliant, except when it snows, you need winter tyres or a good pair of walking boots. 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #315916 21st Jan 2017 9:44 pm
rob_b_2000

Hi Martyn,

Thanks for that. As you say in one sense its not my problem and I should just pick up the phone, make the call and demand its sorted properly before its returned. Courtesy car wise again no issue as sorted by lease company, its just the principle of it going back to the same place where the service manager gives you the usual #### crap about the faults.

Other concern is that I assume I would immediately get a fault message on the dash which would be traceable down the line. Lease company as you state are pretty hot on return condition although it will be over 4 years old on return

Re: The BMW - Looking forward to it albeit it German !!!

Oh to be free of wage slavery....only 13 years to go.

Post #315919 21st Jan 2017 9:57 pm
seriesonenut

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

I have just spent a while reading page1-14 to get a feel for the issues and symptoms with the transmission. My 2010 6 speed HSE has developed a sound from the back end of the car, not tyres (new set just fitted) not bearings (checked on a ramp). The sound is background at the moment, is connected to speed and makes a sound a bit like 'wub-wub-wub'. Its not a scream or whine but definitely there now. I will probably be making a long trip to 'Bell Engineering' but for now does that sound indicate a source? Thx.

Post #315920 21st Jan 2017 10:33 pm
Arese

Morocco 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

rob_b_2000 wrote:
Currently on second haldex unit in 3 months and I am now again getting the juddering when setting off on full lock and reversing from a standstill.

Both fitted by main LR Dealer who basically told me there is rarely any problem with this issue ( haha - do they think we are stupid ?)

My FL is a lease vehicle through my employer hence I do not pay the bills so cost is not the issue, HOWEVER I am totally fed up of whole thing. Vehicle was in main dealers for ten days both times. Lease is up in May and new BMW 5 Series ordered.

My question - If I pull the fuse of the haldex unit (seen it stated as FB 6 But according to my handbook it may be FB1) will this just leave me with front wheel drive only and eliminate any haldex related juddering to the rear etc......if so I am seriously tempted and will bang it back it the day before it goes back !

Am toying with the morality of this as would not want it to be sold on to an unsuspecting buyer but has any one any idea if this will work ?

Thanks

Rob

1 rear diff + 3 Haldex units

3 haldex in 1000 miles for my 2012 HSE Auto

- 30 000 miles : whining -> rear diff changed
- 40 000 miles : vibrations on rear wheels when turning and accelerating --> Haldex unit changed and problem solved
- 40 200 miles : Vibrations again -> Oh sorry the Haldex unit changed 200 miles ago was brand new and faulty we will change it again --> then changed and problem solved
- 41 000 miles : Vibrations again Evil or Very Mad Oh sorry again, the two previous Haldex changed were faulty even if brand new ..it happens you know we have to change it again --> changed and problem solved so Far ...

Now 43 000 miles and the last Haldex fitted seems ok so far ...

Post #315926 21st Jan 2017 10:55 pm
rob_b_2000

Arese....all I can say is good luck with the latest Haldex

Post #315930 21st Jan 2017 11:15 pm
adywicaksono

2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Alaska White

Gents

Please follow this one, this will stop your rear noise

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic28297.html

Post #316294 26th Jan 2017 7:05 am
MRRover75

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Anyone has an exploded detail drawing of the rear diff or a procedure for rebuild with new bearings?

Post #316656 1st Feb 2017 6:52 am
adywicaksono

2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Alaska White

See below URL

Post #316659 1st Feb 2017 9:36 am
Yorky Bob

Did you not open the link in the last post MRRover75. The one above yours Rolling Eyes FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #316660 1st Feb 2017 9:38 am
MRRover75

adywicaksono wrote:
See below URL

Yes, I have seen this, but it does not contains any more than a simple drawing of the diff. I guess a more detailed drawing is not accessible for us deadly ones Smile

Post #316662 1st Feb 2017 10:01 am
MRRover75

Hi,

I got access to a repair manual which has the procedure for replacing the pinion tail bearing. What seems to be hard for the DIY-er is to set the correct pre-load over the tail bearings without the special tools. The retainer nut shall initially be tigthened to 250Nm and then tightened further in steps of 1 deg until the pinion shaft needs 1.1Nm +/-0,2 to rotate. One special tool is needed to be able to tighten the retainer nut, and another one is needed to measure the torque needed to rotate the shaft.

So basically, if a professionally reconditioned unit is available for a reasonable price, it will be the best repair option I think.

Is there anyone here that has done this DIY??

Post #316665 1st Feb 2017 11:32 am
Yorky Bob

Have a holiday in UK with your car and go see Bell engineering while enjoying your stay. It may be cheaper than you think as the £ has crashed out. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #316666 1st Feb 2017 11:39 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 14 of 29 <123 ... 131415 ... 272829>