« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Toyo Open Country AT plus Review
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
henra

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Santorini Black
Toyo Open Country AT plus Review

I wanted to share my thoughts on this tyre as I think it is a viable option to General Grabbers AT option for the FL2.

My local supplier had been talking to the Toyo rep just before I called in for prices on some new rubber and was keen for someone to try the new design in a real world test situation and let him know how they perform. He knew how hard my job is on tyres and we struck up a deal.

So far I have had them on for around 5 months, used in conditions from very dry hard packed mud - wet, clingy horrid mud including towing duties on all surfaces.

Toyo's site linky http://www.toyo.co.uk/tire/pattern/open-country-at-plus

On first impression they looked good on the vehicle, weren't OTT but gave it a 'purposeful' appearance.

The sidewalls have tread extending down the side (the older version did not have this) and are rated at 108V XL.

On the road they grip well in all conditions, not as grippy as a road biased tyre so you aren't able to corner as quickly - but this is an AT tyre and I do not drive fast so have not come across any situations where I have felt out of control. Road noise isn't anything greater than my Wintrac winter tyres and are less than that of my experience of Wranglers.

Once you venture off tarmac they do really come into their own, the tread provides a great footprint - stable and secure. I have to venture across fields carrying a boot full of tools and they spread the weight very well.

Another attractive selling point to me was their ability to shrug off stone cuts and punctures. A lot of the fields and tracks I use are littered with flint and really angry looking stones that cut even the toughest tractor tyres over time. So far (goes off to touch something wooden Whistle ) these have shrugged off all that have been thrown at them.

When the going gets very muddy, they do clog and you have a feeling of sliding but once they clear themselves you can feel them bite back in again and correct you.

The pic below is a potato field where I was laying irrigation drip, you can see how the mud has filled the tread as I had slowed down. Once I had pulled away and given it a few more revs they cleared themselves again.

The only 'bad' point I can lay my mind on at this point in time is the fact that a lot of stones seem to get caught in the tread and once you get back onto tarmac there is that clicking noise made by them as the wheel spins. I now carry a horses hoof pic (the wife doesn't know this yet Whistle ) to pick them out when I can't take the noise anymore.

Thats all I can say about them at this point in time, I have to say that I am very impressed with their overall performance on and off road. They haven't brought down my fuel economy and give a pleasant comfortable ride. I would most definitely recommend them to anyone looking for an AT tyre as a potential option.

As time goes on and if others would like, I can update you all on how they are holding up.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #266912 15th Jun 2015 4:58 pm
Tony L

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Santorini Black

Had these on my FL1. They did 38k miles and got me through some serious snow at times.

Post #266937 15th Jun 2015 8:26 pm
Tarrel

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Fuji White

I also had them on a Disco 3. Hardly any sign of wear after two years / 20,000 miles.

Post #268067 25th Jun 2015 9:12 pm
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

A guy that does overlanding in the deserts out here swears by them. The big problem in those conditions is a stake through the sidewall and he reckons those tyres are tough. They cost a lot out here or I might already have a set.

Post #268618 3rd Jul 2015 10:45 am
Orkney Keeper

Scotland 
Toyo Open Country AT update

Hi any update on the Toyo's as Im about to reboot my hippo and any additional info would be appreciated. I drive on and off road inc snow. cheers Thumbs Up

Post #308764 10th Oct 2016 4:26 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1