« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Using spare wheel space
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Ayjayh

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Ipanema Sand
Using spare wheel space

My MY14 HSE comes with a compressor and gunge instead of a spare wheel which means there is a lot of spare space under the boot floor.
There is a large lump of polystyrene to support the boot floor but a large empty space is left which I could make good use of if it was more accessible. The problem is that you can only lift the boot floor when the boot is empty. (am I making sense?)
I am thinking of cutting the floor panel to make two pieces and then joining them together again with a piano hinge so I can lift the rear portion of the floor when the front part is already loaded.
Has anyone ever done this? Are there any better solutions?

Post #263470 11th May 2015 8:20 pm
hinchy

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Aintree Green

Never heard anyone doing that but you could ditch the compressor and get a steel spare wheel to fill the space, which would be far better. MY13 HSE LUX Aintree Green
MY57 SE Stornoway Grey. Gone
Nissan X Trail
Discovery V8 LPG
Series II Land Rover

Post #263472 11th May 2015 8:49 pm
ricky64

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

+1 get a spare, i had to be recovered 70 miles because i had no spare, the leak sealer wont work if the tyre comes off the rim and if you do just have a flat and use it the tyre becomes scrap. recovered by RAC , the driver commented how common a call out the no spare has become

Post #263476 11th May 2015 9:28 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I had a LR Assist guy visit me a couple of months ago and he showed me in his van a set of spare wheels to fit any LR or Jaguar. His view was that if you have a puncture whilst driving then unless you are lucky the gunge rarely works and a lot of tyre places won't do a puncture repair on a gunge filled tyre so that you might as well carry a spare as you will have to get a new tyre anyway. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #263479 11th May 2015 10:14 pm
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Yup. Spare was the first thing I bought after the car.

But the foldable cover does sound interesting, assuming you have something that is better stored in the cubby underneath than in the normal boot...

In saying that before I got the spare, I hid my wife's birthday present in there Smile Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #263481 11th May 2015 10:21 pm
Tradewind 35

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Get a spare!
I came back to my Freely after late Christmas Eve shopping one year to find tyre flat - nail through corner/sidewall. Would have scuppered a few Christmas holiday plans if I had to wait for recovery and then find a tyre dealer open on Boxing Day that could sell me a new tyre!

Post #263482 11th May 2015 10:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Navigator

Scotland 

Would a cut-out hatch not be a lot easier to make and also allow you to still have stuff in the outer part of the floor when you used it. Everyone can spread it - Anyone can catch it. Stay home - the life you save can be your own!

Post #263485 11th May 2015 11:32 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Agree, get a spare, 27kg. Worth every kg! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #263487 12th May 2015 12:20 am
dpcwright

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Baltic Blue

How is it that vehicle manufacturers can sell a car without a spare tyre? This is both weight and money saving gone mad.
When I bought my Freeloader I made howls of protest about having to pay an extra £185 for what I considered to be standard equipment but to no avail.
It is time we fought back and demanded spare tyres as standard.

Post #263504 12th May 2015 9:28 am
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

Chuckalicious wrote:
In saying that before I got the spare, I hid my wife's birthday present in there Smile

Pop the car in valet mode now that you have a spare Thumbs Up MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #263508 12th May 2015 9:45 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

I think it's more about getting the car to pass, I believe a 1972 emissions 'real world driving' test, which is still being used as the world standard, but actually has no modern day driving representation, by reducing whatever is possible from the car to save weight. While they are at it you get the privilege of paying for a proper wheel.

A bit like restaurants, you buy a main meal with not too many calories and not too much on the plate. But you need a few side dishes, but they come with a few extra calories which now makes the meal's calories look bloated, as well as the price! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #263509 12th May 2015 9:45 am
LR NUT

Lightwater wrote:
Agree, get a spare, 27kg. Worth every kg!

Not all spares are 27kg Laughing MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior

Post #263510 12th May 2015 9:46 am
LR NUT

dpcwright wrote:
Pay an extra £185 for what I considered to be standard equipment but to no avail.
It is time we fought back and demanded spare tyres as standard.

I got mine for free on my new car! I would never drive without a spare it's crazy a bit like having unprotected sex... Well depends who she is Rolling with laughter God knows what I will do on my next LR, certain variations of models do not even have space for a spare Thud MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior

Post #263511 12th May 2015 9:49 am
Ayjayh

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Ipanema Sand

Well thanks everyone for commenting, though it seems my original thread has been hijacked. Maybe I can come back to it later.
However now that we are talking spare wheels, I may as join in.

I have been driving for nearly 60 years and I have never changed a wheel at the roadside.
In fact I can only remember just two occasions when a tyre went flat while driving and each time I was lucky enough to be able to limp to a garage to get the tyre fixed (Maybe replaced, I can't remember now)

My last two cars, a Touran for 10 years, and before that a Passat for 7 years, both came with compressors and gunge and I never had to use it.

Maybe I have just been lucky! Can I ask how many of you have actually personally changed a wheel at the roadside , and how many times in how many years?

Post #263530 12th May 2015 12:37 pm
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

I changed a mates wheel about 15 years ago at the side of the road as he had no idea how to do it, it was night time and had no recovery.

My wife had a blow out on the motorway and thanks to having a spare, roadside recovery replaced it and she was on her way. My dad, who seems jinxed by punctures has also had a few in the last few years.

In general it seems most people use roadside to replace the wheel, which makes sense considering many incidents happen on roads I wouldn't be happy doing it on myself. Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #263536 12th May 2015 12:50 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>