« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > MY13 Play DVD whilst driving- pls assist
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Freelander2innerwest

Australia 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black
MY13 Play DVD whilst driving- pls assist

Hi I'm Adam, a new freelander 2 owner and new to the forum.
I have a HSE lux with DVD player feature on the front screen. I can play DVDs only when parked.
The girlfriend wants to watch a movie when we cruise up the mountains next weekend....so how do I disable the system to allow me to play dvds while we drive?
I'm sure i need to access the service screen and enter a numerical code as with Range Rovers etc. Does anyone know how to do this and what the access code is plus how I enable DVD playing when driving?

Your help is much appreciated. Thumbs Up

Ps. I do not plan to watch the movie while driving...it's a chick flick I'm sure.

Post #192807 27th Jul 2013 1:28 pm
j77

Scotland 

Welcome to the forum Thumbs Up

You need to search for TV in motion.

http://www.tv-in-motion.co.uk/range_rover_tv_in_motion.html this is just one of many companies.

Also pop over to babyRR.com it's a popular mod over there. I'm not very technical but hopefully I've helped a bit Thumbs Up 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #192827 27th Jul 2013 6:14 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Freelander does not have dual view screens and as a result the DVD function is disabled whenever the car is moving. This is to prevent the driver from being distracted while the car is in motion. Don't think it is possible to enable video in motion on the Freelander, also the same on Discovery.

Post #192836 27th Jul 2013 7:00 pm
j77

Scotland 

It can be done on the Evoques without dual veiw TV so I would imaging the Fl2 would be the same. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #192839 27th Jul 2013 7:31 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Possibly could be done but not heard of it being done in a Freelander.

Post #192841 27th Jul 2013 7:45 pm
pressureman

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Indus Silver

My query is more the reverse of this thread !

How do you watch a DVD, or listen to the radio for that matter, for more than a few minutes when parked (without the engine running)? I cannot find anywhere in the owner manual, how to delay the shut-down of the system when the engine is stopped. My old 2007 SE carried on for about 15 minutes as long as you left the key fob in its hole. However, my 2013 Lux has a smart key and no fob receiver so the radio switches off as soon as you stop the engine. The radio has to be switched on again but only stays on for a couple of minutes before the 'system will shut down in 1 minute' warning comes on.
Grateful for any help and advice. Is this an LR secret or is it just me being thick (about evens, I reckon). 2007 SE Manual : Gone and missed but 2013 HSE Lux is better!
Series IIa : Gone but hopefully still alive.

Post #200287 22nd Sep 2013 8:52 pm
unciepaul68

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Is interested to know too. Rolling Eyes using the radio whist cleaning the car which can take some time! May have a look at the menus later...

Post #200401 23rd Sep 2013 6:22 pm
unciepaul68

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

It would seem possible. I only used the touch screen.

Without ignition
Press Power Button to turn on system
Press and hold for around 5+ seconds the on screen power icon
Let go & you are left with the LR logo PLUS the power button icon too.
Left it for at least 3 mins and it didn't sleep

Post #200410 23rd Sep 2013 6:41 pm
pressureman

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Indus Silver

Hi unciepaul, I suspect I may have been a bit premature with this! LR and the stealer clearly don't spend any time charging the battery as part of the pass-off or PDI. The low voltage message appeared and probably caused the system shut-down warning. I coupled up a CTEK charger and let it run through to 14.7v. It did need a fair bit of charge but seems to have sorted out the problem. I will keep an eye on the battery to make sure it was only lack of charge on delivery and not a potential issue (didn't intend that to be a pun)! 2007 SE Manual : Gone and missed but 2013 HSE Lux is better!
Series IIa : Gone but hopefully still alive.

Post #200438 23rd Sep 2013 8:12 pm
english yeoman

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

most ICE has either this feature or will only play when the handbrake is applied.

To get round the issue (only for passengers of course, not for watching the inbetweeners in traffic Wink ) you'll find a wire coming out the back of the unit which connects to either the speedo or more usually the handbrake / handbrake light.

This wire tells the unit that you are stationary or parked up and essentially 'grounds' the wire and allows the dvd to play.

To bypass this takes minutes at the most. Splice (strip the plastic but don't cut through) the wire and run a second piece of wire (anything you find in the garage or spare drawer will do) and attach to the spliced section and tape up with electricians tape (or solder if you're ambitious) - then simply tape the other end of the wire to any part of the metal chassis (or metal support struts) of the car and this automatically grounds the wire.

Hey presto - the dvd now plays ALL the time! Bonus.

Post #201748 2nd Oct 2013 8:27 pm
garioch43

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

If you did this modification, had an accident and your insurance company found out, you'd be in deep doo doo. Thud garioch43

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE - Santorini Black/Black Leather
2002 MGF 1.8i - British Racing Green/Cream Leather with loads of walnut and chrome bits

Post #202203 7th Oct 2013 11:49 am
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

english yeoman wrote:
most ICE has either this feature or will only play when the handbrake is applied.

To get round the issue (only for passengers of course, not for watching the inbetweeners in traffic Wink ) you'll find a wire coming out the back of the unit which connects to either the speedo or more usually the handbrake / handbrake light.

This wire tells the unit that you are stationary or parked up and essentially 'grounds' the wire and allows the dvd to play.

To bypass this takes minutes at the most. Splice (strip the plastic but don't cut through) the wire and run a second piece of wire (anything you find in the garage or spare drawer will do) and attach to the spliced section and tape up with electricians tape (or solder if you're ambitious) - then simply tape the other end of the wire to any part of the metal chassis (or metal support struts) of the car and this automatically grounds the wire.

Hey presto - the dvd now plays ALL the time! Bonus.

This doesn't work on 2013 FL2 as it is a software function.

But the DVD will still play up to speeds of 6-7Mph before the screen goes blank. But you still get the sound, and the screen comes back on under 6-7mph. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #207649 18th Nov 2013 9:38 am
ccsnet

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

At OP.... personally I'd be asking the question 'why don't you want to talk to me on our trip'.....

On a side note prob best to leave it off when you consider the following is just about using a phone.....
http://news.sky.com/story/1170006/mobile-p...-total-ban

T Terran

'The' Car For The Modern Day UK Roads ( ie all the pot holes )

'A Freelander that leaks oil is just marking its territory' - Wise words

Now a member of the FL2 'Silly Bill' Club

Post #207675 18th Nov 2013 12:35 pm
Dyl1

Australia 2015 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Anyone got anymore info on enabling this?

Preferably without pulling the dash apart... MY15 Santorini Black/Almond | Clearview Pack

Modifications - Grill painted matte black

Post #261191 21st Apr 2015 9:29 am
english yeoman

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

based on my post above and the fact it switches off at 6-7 mph this proves the shutoff is grounded by the speedo. The software disables the screen when the car hits this speed effectively UN-grounding the system. Splice the wire (normally green and attached to the Speedo/Handbrake input on the stereo unit) and tape an extension to the chassis to ground the system despite the speed. Sorted in 10 mins.

Post #261194 21st Apr 2015 9:57 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>