Home > Technical > Losing power after warm up - especially on hot days
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
lafras

South Africa 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Lago Grey
Losing power after warm up - especially on hot days

Hey guys

I've got a TD4s Auto, 2007 with 136000km on. It had some dirt in the diesel tank, which I got cleaned out. After this cleaning service it started doing something really strange: In the mornings when I ride to work it's got loads of torque and power as you would expect, but after the engine warms up, especially during slow driving, it starts losing power - more so on hot days. When I say it looses power I mean from standstill to 100km/h in over 20seconds. There is no torque or power across the entire rev range.

Landrover did read the codes, with P02E1 coming up (Diesel intake air flow control). They cleared the error and updated the software and told me she'll be fine now. But symptoms remain. Somebody suggested replacing the Mass flow meter at the air intake, which I did. Symptoms remain the same.

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks
Lafras

Post #256581 12th Mar 2015 7:10 pm
RichP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Fuel filter?

Post #256611 12th Mar 2015 10:13 pm
lafras

The Bosch service centre replaced the fuel filter as well as air filter after they cleaned out the tank. Apparently there is a little platic filter inside the tank which they cleaned as well.

Post #256620 13th Mar 2015 3:01 am
RichP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Your symptoms may be a coincidence, I would take it back if it was me.

Post #256623 13th Mar 2015 6:44 am
lafras

I did take it back, but Bosch's computer did not even pick up any faults and they haven't got loads of experience with Landies. I'm thinking that it could be something to do with the intercooler not getting enough ventilation and hence causing the reduced power issues when it is hot. There is no smoke or any funny noises from the engin when 90% of its horses goes on holiday...so I assume it insn't a turbo or diesel pump issue.

Post #256634 13th Mar 2015 7:54 am
cwhit

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

I had this problem on an 07 s model. I took the engine cover off, and there was a wire which had been disconnected. I re connected it, and the car then went like a sports car. I believe this wire affected the variable vane turbo. Maybe you could check to ensure decent connection. Only takes 5 minutes.

Post #256637 13th Mar 2015 8:36 am
lafras

Well, I've removed the cover as per photo attached. All the wires seem to be perfectly solidly connected. But I couldn't find the turbo??

Post #256670 13th Mar 2015 11:20 am
JeandreDiedericks

South Africa 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Barolo Black

Did you ever solve this problem, im also in South africa and experience exactly the same symptoms.

Post #354091 28th Jul 2018 5:20 pm
lafras

Hi Jeandre. I spent a fortune - including replacing the throttle control body, mass airflow sensor, and I cannot even remember the rest. I thought the car was fine (admittingly it was winter at the time). Then I sold it after I couldnt convince my wife the car is now reliable again.

However the guy that bought it from me experienced the same symptoms when summer came. Long story short, he had a proper Landrover diagnostic computer which he drove the car with during hot days to see if the computer would log something.. He was lucky to get a fault code one day: CAM POSITIONING SENSOR or CRANK POSITIONING SENSOR. After replacing this relativy cheap sensor, the car was like new. Good luck.

Post #354095 28th Jul 2018 8:56 pm
JeandreDiedericks

South Africa 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Barolo Black

Thanks for the feedback. Mine throws an 02 sensor fault internittently. Ill take it to work and put it on the proper diagnostic machine. I've unplugged the 02 sensor for the last few days but the same thing still happens.

In fact i had the camshaft position fault a few days ago which it refused to start until after i cleaned it.

Post #354105 29th Jul 2018 6:48 am
Dick E

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

I have exactly the same problem. A few weeks ago i had a guy come round and done a carbon engine clean. A couple of weeks later after half an hours driving with everything working as it should it lost all power, as if it had gone into limp mode but now warning light on. The next day same thing, at first full power, after about 30 minutes, a real lack of power.
Took the car to my local dealer who plugged it into diagnostics. No faults showing at all. Going to try changing the fuel filter, just in case, then see what happens.
I have read that several other people have suffered the same problems and changed everything possible but even doing this has not cleared th problem. I'll take my time changing things, one at a time to see if i can find out what's wrong.
In the meantime if anyone else has had this problem and found a cure i'd love to hear from them...........any ideas anyone?????

Post #354106 29th Jul 2018 7:12 am
Worms

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Interesting the mention of plastic filter in the fuel tank. Years ago in my petrol 90 I battled for a long time with problems in hot conditions and eventually traced it back to a gel that formed around the nylon mesh in-tank filter, apparently caused by the sugar ethanol mix in Kenyan petrol. Since the Bosch centre mentioned above thought to clean the in-tank filter, I wonder if there are also issues with various biodiesel additions in SA fuel? 2005 D3 2.7 Auto
Previously:
2010 MY FL2 TD4e GS - Now gone at 199,500 miles, about 135,000 of them mine.
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel

Post #354108 29th Jul 2018 7:14 am
rogerlock

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

I too have this problem of loss of boost when hot, has any one found a sure fix ?

Post #355273 20th Aug 2018 1:58 pm
Dick E

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

I just wish someone could come up with an answer for this.
next weekend i'm replacing the cam sensor the crank sensor and the the maff sensor. lets see what happens after that. One thought from a mechanic friend......could it possible be the cat partially blocked??? Not sure how to even check for that. Thsi is such an annoying fault!!!

Post #355322 21st Aug 2018 7:44 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

rogerlock wrote:
I too have this problem of loss of boost when hot, has any one found a sure fix ?

Take off the under side cover, crawl under and locate the Turbo Vane Lever, spray with easing oil and then work backwards and forwards. Spray with a light lubricant and work backwards and forwards. Re-fit cover and road test.

Now tell us the result. A simple fix Very Happy or now only a bad back and multi lacerations. Rolling with laughter FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #355323 21st Aug 2018 8:10 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>