Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > things to look for .....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Archer74

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Alaska White
things to look for .....

hi all...... hopefully going to look at a 57 plate td4 at the weekend with 97k on the clock. can anybody point out any specifics i should be looking for on the service history...cambelt springs to mind, and i seem to remember there may be a major service due soonish ?????
nearly got one several months back but went for a subaru legacy auto instead...big mistake, auto that is Smile
thx for help

Post #256446 11th Mar 2015 7:59 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Cam belt is supposed to be changed at 150K. Don't think I'll leave mine that long!

Post #256456 11th Mar 2015 8:25 pm
Dartman the one

England 

It's about a 9 year old car, and at 97K miles anything can happen, same as any car, much depends on the history and who serviced it, service history says the book was stamped, hopefully a bit more than that, but don't count on it. There is no reason to suppose that the cam belt will fail earlier, I'm sure there will be many posts on here if they do, a search says they don't, but many doubters. Just listen to noises you don't think they should be there. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #256457 11th Mar 2015 8:48 pm
Forty_two

England 

My 2008 with 128,000 miles (100,000 of which has been done in my ownership) has only just required a pair of rear shocks. It has a noisy air con pump.

it's an SE with electric everything, heated seats, all still work without any sign of looking like they may fail.

Headed front screen is missing a few elements and the AM band on the radio doesn't work, but I think the AM fails on them all.

Car feels like it has another 100,000 miles in it. I am changing the cam belt on the next service which is around 136,000 I think.

Post #256460 11th Mar 2015 9:14 pm
WarriorBez

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

mine is a 57 plate gs and i have known the car from new....it used to be my wifes and since a year ago it is now my mobile dog kennel and soon to be off road toy

mine is still going strong, only major (ish) thing i have had was the rear diff bearing (£450), the rear wiper motor failed but replaced with one from a new fiesta for £20, its still on the original clutch, the tailgate handle has started playing up and i think this will be due to water ingress, the rear tailgate gas rams are getting tired and so is the drivers electric window but overall it feels strong and hopefully will have another 100k miles in it! its on 116,000 now

All the best Thumbs Up Black FL2
L200 Warrior

Post #256461 11th Mar 2015 9:46 pm
mdpslm

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Our 57 plate is close on 100K miles and going strong, only issues in 2 years of ownership has been wearing out of the hand brake pads, the glow plugs died - not real problems just life.
Other odd thing was that occasionally it would stick in 6th gear but after re-seating the connector for the reverse inhibit solenoid this has not happened again.

I guess this might be too far away from you but is this the sort of thing you had in mind:

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic22534.html

Post #256465 11th Mar 2015 10:59 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Listen for rumble/whining from rear end, at this mileage could be wheel bearings or rear diff noise.
Why did the last owner move it on is always worth thinking about. I got rid of an 08 reg at 99k miles which was going fine but I expected the value to drop as soon as it got to 100k (might have been wrong).
Has it had a tow bar fitted in the past (often a cut out in the rear plastic)?
Is the steering heavy (blocked filter in reservoir). Do all door locks work properly with central locking.
Two keys that work.
Disc condition (feel for pad thickness and an excessive "lip" on disc).
New MOT?
Who serviced it last (did they use the correct oil etc)

The list could go on... 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #256494 12th Mar 2015 10:33 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1