Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > Picked one at last!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Col1nw3bb

United Kingdom 

Very true. But the retailer needs to do their bit as well. Clearly gsm server operate efficiently!

Post #256328 10th Mar 2015 9:58 pm
Col1nw3bb

United Kingdom 

Had full intention of giving the car a good wash n vacuum this morning but rain was against me.

So instead i dug out the soldering iron for a bit of repair and preperation.

First up the dead spare key, really simple job in the end. With the key blade removed i put some circlip pliars in the slot and prised it open. Carefully working around the edge it came apart. Quick desolder on the two battery tabs and solder new one in. The case even clipped back together without glue 👍

Next job was a bit of prep for the gvif install on wednesday. Run the cables for power and rear camera. Pulled apart the apple tv and swapped the mains power board for a dcdc unit and tested on a 12v adaptor. Should be a quick job on wednesday now. Will try to take lots of pics and do a write up when i do it.

Post #256994 15th Mar 2015 7:15 pm
Col1nw3bb

United Kingdom 

Been a while since ive updated. Lack of progress last few months as my time and money has been spent getting my poor Lab help at the vets, not on the car.

However i come across an offer to good to turn down on ebay tonight. Managed to bag a twin exhaust rear box for £110 delivered and a pair of genuine HST tail pipes for £47.49! Bargain after seeing new prices, even with the Duckworth discount.

So i need some help from those who have experienced this conversion. Ive heard two storys, first is one pipe is a larger diameter and slides in to the other meaning you just need the clamp for the petrol model, although im thinking this may only apply to a new replacement box where the pipes flared. Second version is you need a sleeve of correct internal diameter and a couple of U clamps or a welder.

Any advice people? Should state this is a used original box cut off car not a new replacement unit.

Thanks
Colin

Post #269877 17th Jul 2015 7:03 pm
Still Lost in France

France 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Col1nw3bb wrote:
Also when my 9yr old Lab tryed to investigate it earlier he nearly busted his legs up, so telescopic ramp for him.l

We've got a 9 year old Golden Retriever who finds it difficult getting in and out of the back, have you any information on the telescopic ramp?

Post #269912 17th Jul 2015 11:36 pm
Col1nw3bb

United Kingdom 

Hi i went for this one http://www.easyanimal.co.uk/deluxe-telesco...amI0xl4WnM its the most expensive but the reviews were outstanding. I can say even with 40kg of lab on it theres hardly any flex which is great as it can put the dogs off if it bounces.

The freelander is an inch or two past the max load height for this model which means the ramp is slightly steeper than reccomended. My guy has no problem going down but needs a little support above the tail to stop him slipping going up, despite the excellent grip on the ramp. It seems this model is on offer at £74 right now i paid £90 and think its worth every penny. They do a xl model for £130 which offers a narrower incline however it wont across the boot so youll have to fold a seat down. The standard one fits perfect across the boot and when strapped to the back seats with a luggage net takes minimal space up.

Post #269913 18th Jul 2015 12:08 am
Still Lost in France

France 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

That looks ideal, thanks very much.

Post #269936 18th Jul 2015 9:44 am
Sidetops

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

npinks wrote:
I hope you got a receipt for the warranty as it's going to break Confused

Gosh, that's harsh! Twisted Evil

Looks very nice, well done! Is it manual or auto?

Post #270121 20th Jul 2015 11:23 am
Col1nw3bb

United Kingdom 

Thanks. Its an auto. Was looking for a manual but quite glad i didnt get one after driving it. Dont think my club feet would do to good on a manual one. Lol.

Expecting the exhaust parts tommorow. So hopefully theyll be there once i get back from the vets. And i can fit in the afternoon.

Post #270178 21st Jul 2015 1:11 am
Sidetops

By choice I wouldn't have anything else! Manuals seem a bit antiquated by comparison, perhaps like comparing a rotary phone with a smartphone Very Happy

A bit less economical than the manuals though, and the VED is more expensive, but well worth it! I'm getting a quite respectable 37mpg on average on a run (the trip computer has registered as high as 44mpg before), around town 32mpg.

Side steps going on soon, and I think colour coded top half mirror covers and door handles.

Click image to enlarge

Post #270184 21st Jul 2015 9:10 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Looks good, is that Bali Blue? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #270188 21st Jul 2015 10:12 am
Sidetops

No I believe its Baltic blue. Looks almost black in some lights, but quite different in direct sunlight.

Post #270238 22nd Jul 2015 8:42 am
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

no that is Bali Blue, looks gorgeous in sunlight but unfortunately purple on a cloudy day... Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #270838 27th Jul 2015 11:41 am
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

Sort of Cadburys chocolate wrapper?

Post #270841 27th Jul 2015 11:50 am
Col1nw3bb

United Kingdom 

Little update. I planned to meet my brother at his bodyshop tonight to service the freely and fit the dual exhaust. We planned to start at 17:30. But he got held up in a late meeting so we kicked off at 19:30.

Started with the exhaust, id already paid a local exhaust place the cheap sum of £10 to flare a small section of stainless and two clamps so i could sleeve it both ends. So we cut the old off, and the sleeve was no good. Not really upset about a tenner lost but a bit Censored id paid for a part to do the job and now i was stuck late at night cause it was not flared enough. So new plan, luckily we had left the centre pipe to long in case this happened. We also hand a hand flaring tool we could use on the new box but not the sleeve because we needed leverage to use it. So new box flared but it just wouldnt go any far enough .24 mm short. So we hatched plan 3, put four short slits on end of centre pipe so we could hammer the new box on for a tight seal this worked out well, untill we went to get the exhaust paste only to find it had been used and noone reordered it! Plan 4 weld it! Exactly what i didnt want to do as when i sell the car i now have to cut it off and weld the old back on, DOH!

Had i wanted to weld it to begin with the job wouldve been 30mins tops. But with all the Censored about trying to avoid welding it and looking for clamps/paste/flaring tool it took 3.5 hours. Needless to say we have postponed the service and the exhaust dosnt blow now!

Anyway. Quick pic. Love how it looks!

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #271324 1st Aug 2015 1:19 am
Col1nw3bb

United Kingdom 

Fitted some painted mirror covers today, also now have the hst front spats primed and waiting for the rest of the kit to turn up on ebay.

Ive got a week off now and looking for a project i found some hid lights with drl for £200 on ebay. Uk spec so i was happy at the price. Now hunting for a drl controller, i plan to rewire the lights internaly so they plug and plan on my 2010my after ccf config. This will save money on parts for wiring loom adaptors and add value should i remove them when time comes to sell the car.

Post #274845 5th Sep 2015 7:41 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>