Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Fuel gauge prediction
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tornado34

Fuel gauge prediction

I've read lots of the forum about the lottery that is the FL2 fuel gauge senders / pump / priming /shut down.

In short, I've joined the club and my gauge show 1/2 full and corresponding miles to empty. It works down as I use fuel, but despite brimming the tank, never shows more than 1/2 full.

I will get it in to LR asap, but right now I'm 600 miles from home, facing a long through the night drive with minimal fuel stations.

My intention is to fill up every 200 miles so as to not let the system believe there is no fuel and shut down into limp or complete shut down.

My question, does this sound like 1 (or 2) faulty senders or a failed cross tank pump?

I don't think it's a software issue, why would it be? Nothing had changed or been replaced or updated, so software shouldn't just decide it needs updating.

Post #256567 12th Mar 2015 7:00 pm
tornado34

UPDATE

Started journey home, after 30 miles it still showed 1/2 tank and corresponding DTE (distance to empty). These were both working down as I drove as they should.

At 100 miles I stopped and filled up, again only a small top up would fit it tank. Fuel gauge and DTE, returned to half way and DTE back to corresponding value.

After another 100 miles or so, gauge rose to full and DTE the full value.

Drove remaining distance home, all perfect and arrived home with 1/4 tank showing and correct DTE.

So, now stuck in limbo. I have ext warrty, but right now I'm sure dealer will report No Fault Found as there will be no error / fault code and problem is not showing anymore.

Soooooo annoying, I'm so close to throwing the towel in on LR right now. I have zero confidence in the car and that's not how £20k motoring should feel.

When it works NOTHING can touch a LR, but if you can compromise the AWD a little bit, there are much more bulletproof cars out there. Arrow

Post #256916 15th Mar 2015 7:46 am
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

My gauge was all over the place, dropping to empty when it wasn't. Got it rewired under extended warranty as there is an LR bulletin. Don't think any codes were stored.

Hope that helps. Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #256917 15th Mar 2015 8:08 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1