Home > Wheels & Tyres > Replacement tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Kempy

United Kingdom 
Replacement tyres

Hi all,

I know there are lots of replacement tyre threads here but I couldn't find advice for my needs, so here goes....

I have a 2011 Freelander XS SD4 which has covered 34k miles on its Pirelli Scorpion Zeros (235/60 R18 V103) but fronts are now gone and rears not far behind. Probably about 95% usage is tarmac with only minimal time on rough tracks (so probably different to most on here !)

I'm considering a change and the Michelin Latitude Sport 3's look interesting - with better economy, wet weather performance and sound compared to the Pirellis.

Grateful for any recommendations/opinions.

Post #254343 22nd Feb 2015 1:51 pm
Kempy

United Kingdom 

Hmm.........>150 views and not a single comment/opinion......can only think I'm the only FL owner on here honest enough to admit that he doesn't spend much time offroad and wants tyres to suit Embarassed

Thanks.

Post #254657 24th Feb 2015 8:13 pm
WarriorBez

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

I've had the following tyres on my Freelander...

Wranglers-good until they get noisy!

Pirelli scorpion for 4 years.....happy with them

Cooper discoverer....fitted today....excellent tyre but more off rad than tarmac Black FL2
L200 Warrior

Post #254659 24th Feb 2015 8:25 pm
donksey

United Kingdom 

These are very popular with folk on here.
I had 4 fitted a few weeks ago and I am very happy with them.

http://www.generaltire.eu/www/generaltire_...er-gt.html

These look interesting too.

http://www.generaltire.eu/www/generaltire_...r-hts.html

Last edited by donksey on 24th Feb 2015 9:18 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #254667 24th Feb 2015 9:17 pm
archie98

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

These are what I had fitted 

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #254668 24th Feb 2015 9:18 pm
MidlandRover

England 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Another vote for the Grabber GTs, good in dry and wet and very good in the small amount of snow this winter. FL2 SD4 Metropolis Auto Santorini Black / ivory completely stock.

It's true that light travels faster than sound, some people look quite intelligent until you hear them speak.

Stop global winging.

Post #254677 24th Feb 2015 10:22 pm
Chris B

United Kingdom 

Latitudes are good, I have a uni mate who works for Michelin. I have stuck with Wranglers because I had a brand new spare and only needed to buy 3 to get new rubber - anything ekse was a full set of 4. Agree that the Wrnglers got noisy so you did OK Gone... 2013 XS TD4 Manual Firenze Red
Gone... 2008 (09MY) XS Td4 Manual Stornaway Grey
Prior... 2003 G4 Discovery 2, 1998 Disco 1 and 1997 Disco 1 Company car before that
Also gone in Nov'13, after 7.5 yrs, to new owners with time for more TLC - 1980 Series III 88
Current 2015 Discovery Sport HSE 2.0

Post #254682 24th Feb 2015 10:57 pm
submarine

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Grabber GT good for me, and I drive in a spirited manner, cheap too and had no problems in the small amount of snow / large amounts of rain that I've had. Pirellis previously, think the GT's are better. Can't comment on road noise as they were drowned out by a rear diff whine lol, but the GT's aren't noticeably noisy on 17" wheels.

Post #254683 24th Feb 2015 11:03 pm
edamball

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Re: Replacement tyres

Kempy wrote:
Hi all,

I know there are lots of replacement tyre threads here but I couldn't find advice for my needs, so here goes....

I have a 2011 Freelander XS SD4 which has covered 34k miles on its Pirelli Scorpion Zeros (235/60 R18 V103) but fronts are now gone and rears not far behind. Probably about 95% usage is tarmac with only minimal time on rough tracks (so probably different to most on here !)

I'm considering a change and the Michelin Latitude Sport 3's look interesting - with better economy, wet weather performance and sound compared to the Pirellis.

Grateful for any recommendations/opinions.

I am in the process of selecting replacements for all four tyres on my HSE TD4 and like you I almost solely an on road user and have been recommended Pirelli Scorpion Zeros at £120 ea by our local tyre fitters. I recall having these on my D3 a few yers back and being happy with them.

Post #254699 25th Feb 2015 7:16 am
MidlandRover

England 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Still batting for the Grabber GTs, paid £105 each for 17".
Think you would get more mileage out of them than the Scorpions. FL2 SD4 Metropolis Auto Santorini Black / ivory completely stock.

It's true that light travels faster than sound, some people look quite intelligent until you hear them speak.

Stop global winging.

Post #254732 25th Feb 2015 12:38 pm
Jim NI

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Loire Blue

Kempy wrote:
Hmm.........>150 views and not a single comment/opinion......can only think I'm the only FL owner on here honest enough to admit that he doesn't spend much time offroad and wants tyres to suit Embarassed

Thanks.

Seems more like none of the 150 viewers have used Michelin and so couldn't answer your question. I use 19 Contis in summer and 17 Wintracs in Winter, but if you got 34k on Pirellis then that's a result 2014 SE Loire Blue SD4 Auto (MY15)
Gone - 2011 GS Baltic Blue, Retrofit Electric Leather, Side Steps, 19"SC's, Roof Rails, TT Sat Nav Mod, Retrofit Premium Audio, Retro fit 2013 Xenons with DRL & Sig Strip (Clutch at 47k)
Gone - 2007 GS Narvik Black, Privacy Glass, 19" SC's, Side Steps,Roof Rails, Roof Spoiler, Lamp Guards, Retrofit Electric Leather (Clutch at 115k)
Gone - 2007 SE Santorini Black (Clutch at 120k)
BT IID (best money ever spent on a car)

Post #254737 25th Feb 2015 12:56 pm
scrimple

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Ipanema Sand

I have grabber gt on front and have just put 2 scorpion verde on rear.

grip on the verde's seems to be slightly better than the gt's but according to the new euro labelling system the verde's are "b" on mileage against "c" on the grabbers which is why I opted for them.  MY2014 SD4 XS
Ipanema Sand

MY10 TD4-e GS Manual
Lago Grey Now retired after 8 trouble free years

Post #254753 25th Feb 2015 4:40 pm
SakoQuad

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

can't comment on the Latitude Sport I'm afraid but have always liked Michelin tyres.

My MY2010 XS had original Continentals on them that seemed to wear reasonably well but I replaced the rears last year with Michelin Latitude Tours as like you I rarely go off road (wet grass with van in tow is most likely). I will shortly replace the fronts with the same. No snow here to test grip, wet performance has caused me no concerns but then I don't try to drive the car like a sports car anyway!

Wear on the rear tyres seems good - would have to trust the ratings that they are more economical and quieter than other tyres as that would be difficult to know for sure!!!

Post #254768 25th Feb 2015 7:00 pm
taztastic

England 

I'm going to have a look at Nokian zLine SUV summer tyres next time for my 19" rims, very impressed with the winter tyres and they seem to be capable of some innovative ideas with their tyres.

info here

Post #254778 25th Feb 2015 7:44 pm
colinrr

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

SakoQuad wrote:
can't comment on the Latitude Sport I'm afraid but have always liked Michelin tyres.

My MY2010 XS had original Continentals on them that seemed to wear reasonably well but I replaced the rears last year with Michelin Latitude Tours as like you I rarely go off road (wet grass with van in tow is most likely). I will shortly replace the fronts with the same. No snow here to test grip, wet performance has caused me no concerns but then I don't try to drive the car like a sports car anyway!

Wear on the rear tyres seems good - would have to trust the ratings that they are more economical and quieter than other tyres as that would be difficult to know for sure!!!

I had a full set of Michelin Latitude Sport 3s fitted last week. They are really a tarmac tyre as I never seem to get off road these days. (They are the first set of non allterrain I have had in the last 20 odd years). They are quiet, have a good spec and I am expecting them to last well being Michelins. I am also a fan of the Michelin Latitude Cross as shown in the pic of the post above. I fitted these to the wife's FL 1 a few years ago and they are excellent as an all terrain tyre and still like new.

I have had two sets of Goodyear Wranglers. The last set, up to last week, had become very noisy at 3 - 4 mm and I was almost certain it was the dreaded back axle noise but, after reading a number of posts on here, I changed to the Michelins and all the noise has gone! So well done Freel2 Forum. Thank you.

Colin 1982 RR Classic-converted to 200TDi-gone
1992 RR VogueSE- converted to autogas-gone
2000 FL1 3dr (wife's)
1996 Disco 1 300 Tdi(gone)
2007 FL2 TD4 GS auto (gone)
MY 2011 SD4 HSE Automatic

Post #254895 26th Feb 2015 12:30 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1