Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Flat battery again
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Cobbet1

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 S Manual Aintree Green

Well it's let me down again a few times, had a 250 mile run on Saturday, ok Sunday, failed to start yesterday , charged for a good 8 hrs , wouldn't start this morning, went to work in daughters car , before trying to start it again checked battery , 12.2 volts, battery has indicator on it green for good , red bad etc , it's green and was yesterday , am now thinking starter or issue with steering lock as per other post on here ,
Going into dealers on Friday, hopefully will be resolved as starting to lose the faith in this car now

Post #246892 30th Dec 2014 3:03 pm
EYorkshire

I know the battery is fairly new but it still could be that its duff, the green indicator is only showing that you have one good cell out of the six.

Post #246901 30th Dec 2014 3:43 pm
taztastic

England 

What is the open circuit voltage of the battery? as I think it should be 12.6v if it is healthy.
As EY has said, the green indicator is nonsense in reality and tells you very little.

Post #246906 30th Dec 2014 4:01 pm
Cobbet1

Just taken it off charge and it reads 13.4 will test it again tomorrow before trying to start it, could be duff battery I guess as it starts on the button when it's just been charged , literally is just over a year old though

Andy

Post #246920 30th Dec 2014 5:42 pm
Thehorse

United Kingdom 

taztastic wrote:
What is the open circuit voltage of the battery? as I think it should be 12.6v if it is healthy.
As EY has said, the green indicator is nonsense in reality and tells you very little.

There is a 0.022V/degree temperature coefficient on a lead acid battery, so the quoted 12.6V 100% nominal battery voltage at 20degC would actually be 12.16V at 0 degC hence batteries struggle in the winter.

The way I decided my battery is probably shagged is by timing how long it took to charge it. It went from 12.0V to 13.5V in well under an hour - charge current dropping from 5A to <1A in this time. If it still had a reasonable capacity it would have taken much longer with the charge current staying higher.

Post #246928 30th Dec 2014 6:40 pm
Cobbet1

Ok , think you guys might be right and it's a duff battery, tested this morning before starting car , battery connected overnight it read 12.2v , left meter on when turning it over failed to start 1st time dropped down to 11something when cranking , 2nd time down to 7 odd , so looks like battery even though it's only a year old , but still concerned that there may be a drain that's caused battery to die in 1st place.
It's still booked in at dealers on Friday for diagnostic / software update , but will get battery checked today at local tyre place when it's got enough charge to start it.
If it's just battery at least that's an easy fix, unfortunately can't find the receipt so can't go back to where I got it

Edit
Found the receipt took battery to supplier they tested it and it says it's ok , explained it won't hold a charge etc and they have agreed to replace as a gesture of goodwill, however they didn't have a battery on the shelf of Same amps , so will get one in for me on Friday Smile
So will have to swap it over on Saturday as car at dealers on friday

Post #247086 31st Dec 2014 12:50 pm
Cobbet1

Car into dealers today, explained possible battery drain , battery issue, they say battery is shot, ok all good should get that swapped by supplier tomorrow, asked them if they could check for a drain anyway whilst they had car, wouldn't do that as battery shot!!
So basically will put new battery on tomorrow but still not sure if there is a drain that has caused the battery to die or if the battery was just duff
Guess time will tell, but was trying to get this sorted before going back to work properly on Monday
At least they didn't charge me anything.

Post #247369 2nd Jan 2015 8:47 pm
Cobbet1

update
new battery fitted on 3/1/15 been starting ok since, so as suggested battery was to blame

Andy

Post #250345 25th Jan 2015 6:35 pm
RichP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Result! Thumbs Up

Post #250372 25th Jan 2015 8:15 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12