Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Driving in Denmark, Sweden and Finland
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
choccymonster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Driving in Denmark, Sweden and Finland

Hi all,

VERY tentatively planning a bit of an adventure road-trip for next year; driving over to Finland to watch Rally Finland in August.

Obviously I could fly and hire a car much more cheaply, but that's not the point. Half the adventure is the journey...... Wink

Loose plan would be to use the Channel Tunnel and then drive up through France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden and then into Finland.

I have driven a fair amount in France, Belgium, Holland and Germany - but never in Denmark, Sweden and Finland.

I know we have a few Scandinavian and Nordic members on here, and wondered if they had any thoughts, suggestions, tips and tricks.....

I am particularly interested in:-

- Rules regarding winter tyres (bearing in mind I am travelling in July/August)
- Toll roads (pricing, use of a windscreen automatic charging device etc)
- Availability/price of fuel (Diesel), and how do the filling stations "work"?
- Parking rules in and around towns/cities (and also at the Rally Finland forest stages if anyone has been)
- The ferry between Sweden and Finland (this is a big cost component of the trip - any thoughts/clever tips for reducing price?)

Any and all advice, thoughts, suggestions, ideas and general abuse gratefully received.

Like I say, am in the early stages of planning - and maybe it all falls into the "too hard" bucket - but I've got to start somewhere.....

Post #242967 30th Nov 2014 12:38 pm
GT_Mac

Finland 

Hi choccymonster,

I did this very trip earlier this year. First of all no need for Winter tyres in August Smile

I will try and answer your questions best i can and sure some others will add when i get it wrong haha.

Chunnel or P&O for the first crossing. Personally i take P&O as it is the cheapest unless you want to use DFDS to Dunkerque but the crossings are not so often.

Remember Euro Headlights or the stickers at least, all the years of driving in Europe i have never bothered or been stopped by the feds for it Smile but the stickers are that not much to buy on the ferry if you can work out how the bloody hell they go on (where mainly)...Short journey through France (supposed to carry an alcohol breath tester) then into Belgium, Holland and then Germany.

Watch your speeds in all of these countries (Germany as fast as you want) and carry first aid kit,triangle and spare bulb kit. Mandatory but again never been stopped for this..its a chance i guess. Fuel prices are more obviously on the Motorway, around 145-8 Euro a litre of Diesel maybe a bit more.

We took the ferry from Puutgarden in Germany across to Denmark, its only a 40 min ferry and cheap enough. I will post the price later when i see the long haired General. When you leave Denmark into Sweden you can take the spectacular looking Bridge. Its a great drive but that bridge cost 50 bucks to get across.

Filling stations in Sweden and Finland are great as you can pay with your Debit Card at the pump and the option of English is there.

We took the overnight ferry from Stockholm to Turku in Finland. Viking Line. They call this the party boat....however don't get too excited lol. It was a good price also..will post that later..

All in all the Freelander 2 was amazing on the Fuel...Both ferries were reasonably priced...i remember saying to the missus holy Censored when i seen the price of the bridge crossing but it was a great drive..so worth it...

Then in Turku you can shoot off to where you want to in Finland...Although i live here now and have done for about three months i am still finding my feet ...as for the rally and towns can't help you there mate...i don't know enough. I know a must is stick to the speed limits, your lights need to be permanently on and the fuel price in Finland is around 1.40 a litre of Diesel and again a bit more at certain places.

If there is anything in particular that you need to find out from this end please give me a shout and i can try and do that for you..

Graham.

Post #243119 1st Dec 2014 11:22 am
choccymonster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Wow!!

Excellent info!!

Bow down

Reassuringly, there doesn't seem to be too many surprises there.

Headlights I'm not worried about as I can adjust those.

Interested in more information about the Germany/Denmark ferry if you have it. I was blindly (and perhaps stupidly) assuming I was just going to drive up into Denmark from Germany. Perhaps I can cut a corner by using the ferry?

I had found the Viking line ferry to Turku and had settled on that. Would be interested to hear more about your experiences with this particular line/boat. What were the cabins like? Taking the overnight boat so I can get some kip whilst travelling.....good idea, or not?

What was the loading/unloading procedures like? Any difficulties (particularly with language and working out where you had to be and when)?

You said the bridge from Denmark into Sweden was "50 bucks" - did you mean that literally?!!? Shocked

Fuel seems "reasonable" at least, and good that I can use the pay at pump with my card (in English).

Lastly, a bit of research suggests that re aren't any toll roads in Finland, but there are in Denmark and Sweden (the bridge for example). I might be doing this trip alone.......based on your experiences, how would I cope with a right-hand drive car at the toll booths?

Once again - epic amount of information - many, many thanks!!

Dave

Post #243238 2nd Dec 2014 12:14 am
GT_Mac

Finland 

You are welcome for the info.

I think the Puutgarten ferry is the best. It leaves every 45 min I think and 24 hours. It cost about 30 euro we think. Can't remeber sorry but it was not much and less driving.

The Viking Line cost 73 euro for us both with the very basic cabin. It was right in the hold of the boat and at the front. Once my good lady realised that we asked to change because of her fear of that. They moved us for free. If you have ever done the Rotterdam Hull ferry then the cabins are the same as that. A bed and a shower and what more you need really. There was entertainment on the boat which was ok..nothing special Wink

I suggest being up early in the morning for a step outside and take your camera Smile the view in the morning as you sail through the islands is amazing Smile Loading on etc was easy. Passport control had booths for either RHD or LHD...all speak English.

The toll bridge I mentioned from Denmark to Sweden was 49 euro. it's about 8km long and then a tunnel if I remember. you can also pay there with your Visa Or Cash at the end of the bridge. No turning back lol. It is manned and like all good Scandinavians they speak English Smile You are also correct with your research. No toll roads in Finland. Just expensive booze Smile might be worth nipping into Tescos before you leave. Also a very good Duty Free shop at Puutgarten.

Feel free to ask more. Think I covered what I know or think I know Smile Sure some real Scandnavians here could offer more...I am just an Englishman living abroad Smile

Post #243383 2nd Dec 2014 11:13 pm
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

I seem to recall it's headlights on all the time, in Sweden at least. Would that make you more likely to get copped for the Euro headlight thing? The Swedes are very nice people but they seemed quite pedantic about doing the right thing.

Post #243984 7th Dec 2014 7:44 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I went last year to Norway via Denmark and Sweden, towing a caravan. Cannot add much more to the excellent info from GT_Mac. Yes, keep lights on all the time (unless you already have DRLs). DO fit lens converters. They just take out the L/H upward "kick" of our dipped lights, converting them to centre dip. You cannot easily adjust the lights to get the same effect. Cheapest fuel was in Denmark, so fill up before leaving in both directions. The Oresundbron crossing (tunnel & bridge, as in "The Bridge") between Copenhagen and Malmo cost us DKK 690 each way (£81.23) with the 'van. The Storebaelt bridge west of Copenhagen cost DKK 350 (£41.78 ) with the 'van. English spoken almost everywhere, so no problem with language (can't speak for Finland) although I guess it would be the same there. When refuelling, I did not use "pay at pump" at all - always used the shop just as we do here, never a problem. The roads are excellent and blissfully quiet compared to UK. Just set your cruise control to the 80k limit (or whatever it is) and chill. Thumbs Up

I'm envious already, just thinking about it! Wink
Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #244027 7th Dec 2014 11:19 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1