Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Photos, Videos & Media > Land Rover Off Road Capabilities- Model Comparison video
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
griff9of13

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Galway Green
Land Rover Off Road Capabilities- Model Comparison video

Check out 3.30 minutes, a Freelander 2 takes on a pretty stiff cross axle course that later on (4.50 minutes) sees a Defender struggle:

gone MY2010 GS TD4 Manual Stornoway
arrived MY2013 GS TD4 Manual Aintree Green

Post #241572 18th Nov 2014 7:32 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

The Defender has only one diff lock as standard (in the centre), so cross-axle obstacles can indeed catch it out. The FL2 uses the brakes to deal with that situation, so fares better. But fit a Defender with another couple of diff locks and it would be a different story!

Post #241577 18th Nov 2014 7:44 pm
marklad2020

Switzerland 

It seems that as soon as the wheels start spinning the Freelander driver backs off and takes another run at it. The correct procedure is to keep on the throttle for a few more seconds and wait until the TC kicks in to lock the spinning wheels and get you moving again. Had he done that I think the Freelander would have tackled that course much more quickly.

Post #243544 4th Dec 2014 11:57 am
D-Man

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Completely agree, Mark! 2011 SD4 HSE Auto
(Previously 2007 TD4 XS Manual)

Post #243545 4th Dec 2014 12:52 pm
rjc1944

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I think that's one reason that driving the Freelander off-road is so simple that it feels like cheating. The "correct" method, i.e. using the electronics, is sometimes counter-intuitive to what you need to do on a "simple" off-roader without all the gizmos. OK, the Freelander will clear the obstacle quickly but what's done it, the driver's skill or clever electronics?

Does it matter?

Is this why some of the "hard-core" Landy folk see our precious Freelies as "not real Land Rovers"? Ours - 2008 Stornoway Grey HSE Auto
Tricia's - 2006 Royal Blue Beetle Cabriolet Auto
Mine - 2014 Vespa GTS 300 Super Sport Matt Black
Ours - 2007 White Bailey Pageant Champagne

Post #243549 4th Dec 2014 2:37 pm
EYorkshire

I agree, does it matter, no it doesn't.

Off roading is deemed as a 'macho thing' and needs the 'macho man' to come out of a situation with him thinking "It was all down to me" and I want anyone watching to think it was all down to me.

I would be happy to experience it, successfully come out of it, and thinking "What a little beauty" and all I had to do was steer and use my leg(s).

Post #243559 4th Dec 2014 4:14 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

There seems to be a common misconception that driving an 'old style' 4x4 off road is hard, whereas driving one with lots of electronics is easy. Sorry, but that's b******s! What's driving the move to ever-increasing use of electronics isn't driveability, it's marketing, fuel consumption and cost. In terms of capability the venerable Defender is still a match for anything else in class, and whilst it's somewhat (understatement!) less comfortable it's not hard to drive.

One can, in fact, make a strong case for something like the Defender being easier to drive off-road, for all kinds of reasons:

1. In the FL2 I've got 4 settings for the terrain response, plus HDC and DSC - decisions, decisions. In an old-timer I've got a diff lock - if slippery, engage, if not, don't, simple!

2. Old-timers tend to have lots of ground clearance, so one has to be much less careful about choosing a line. The FL2 can bottom out in ruts left by the old timers.

3. Old-timers are much less vulnerable - clip a tree in an FL and that's a £1,000 bumper moulding destroyed, or worse. Clip a tree in the old-timer and the steel girder of a bumper just bounces off.

4. The old-timer will have low range, which greatly increases its capability when the going gets really tough.

5. Diff locks are better than brakes at managing traction - 3 locked diffs and you've got as much traction as it's possible to get! Terrain response is good, diff locks are better when the going gets bad.

Yes, the FL2 is very capable and very nice to drive. But old-style technologies wrapped up in a modern package would be just as capable and easy to drive, if not as good in the showroom.

Post #243569 4th Dec 2014 7:02 pm
taztastic

England 

Well said Pab,
I remember years ago when Mercedes switched from manual to electric diff locks, the diff was the same but the action of flicking a switch rather that pulling the diff lock physically just wasn't the same, it also detaches you from the environment, people go on LRE days and coo at the things the cars will do, if they had a better understanding of what was actually going on they would better appreciate what they have and what's it doing for them.

No HDC ... No DSC ... No TR
Just good old fashioned Diff locks and a low range transfer box, simplicity in itself to use, I was also taken out in a G wagen with retro fitted portal axles from a Unimog, there is nothing on earth that would stop that thing, shame they are expensive to maintain or there would be one on the drive.

Post #243572 4th Dec 2014 7:18 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Agreed, my son in Botswana has a Landcruiser with a simple diff lock system that he reckons can get him out of most things and it doesn't need fancy software programs and updates that you can't get in Africa anyway. Oh and they don't have the equivalent of LandRover Assist so it had better not fail.

Post #243578 4th Dec 2014 8:23 pm
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

Agree about the diff locks. My Jeep has them and they are fantastic. The thing that lets the Freelander 2 down a lot is no low range. If you watch that video, the Disco's traction control kicks in with barely one rotation of a wheel where the FL2 wheels get quite a spin going before the TC kicks in to get the opposite wheel having a go. A FL2 regularly spins up clouds of dust waiting for some traction where a Disco with low range can grab traction with hardly any spin at all.

Post #243919 7th Dec 2014 12:37 pm
scrimple

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Ipanema Sand

All this said though guys, in reality when would you ever encounter situations like in the video. I, and probably a lot of other freely owners buy a freely knowing that in most driving situations you know you will come out the other side. Even towing a 1.5 ton caravan across a very muddy camp field with ruts up to the rims (which I have done on more then one occasion), I have never been in a situation where the freely has not sailed through without hesitation.

It may not be the most glamorous car, it certainly is not the sportiest or fastest but for me, it is the only car I will ever need.  MY2014 SD4 XS
Ipanema Sand

MY10 TD4-e GS Manual
Lago Grey Now retired after 8 trouble free years

Post #243932 7th Dec 2014 2:04 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1