« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > Picked up my new toy
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
tunaz100

United Kingdom 
Picked up my new toy

Hi all after much deliberation on hat spec to get I've collected my black FL2...

What a car fantastic ride compared to my A4 S-line, getting 34 mpg on my daily 160 mile motorway commute and having an auto in the traffic jams of Manchester is a dream!

I love the retro fitted alpaca seats with the black carpets especially as I'm not siciplined enough to keep a cream floor clean! The seats have been done on sides and back as well so the smell is great when you get in!

To finish it off I got steps, clear indicators, privacy, chrome mirrors and the Thule roof rack system and I've ordered the armrest from Wood Company...

Some early pics posted in the gallery (pre indicator and M'way grime!), will post more when I get the armrest fitted next week...

Post #21658 5th Jun 2008 11:01 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Another black Fl2 looking good Thumbs Up .

You've got to keep the shine alive for best results though. I'm plagued with my local hard water leaving loads of water marks after a wash, so I now rinse with couple of buckets of softened water from the kitchen tap . Then a quick wipe down with turtle wax "wax it wet" keeps her looking shiney n bright Cool .
I'm seriously considering fitting a second outside tap just for softened water to save paddling in and out of the kitchen.
And before the anti black brigade get all clever, the main problem area for water marks is the privacy glass, all the little white circles really ruin the look. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #21659 5th Jun 2008 11:30 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

nice looking car Thumbs Up

though I think the leather is not to my liking, but it could be due to been used to seeing it without the black carpets.

you can get filters for your hose pipe CG to filter the deposit out of the water, just attach it to the hose when was you get to the rinsing stage of your wash, also drying the car as soon as possible will stop the water etching (which can damge cars as its tiny mineral deposits. Thumbs Up

Helps keeping a black car clean and shiny Cool Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #21660 5th Jun 2008 11:40 pm
tunaz100

United Kingdom 

This is my 6th black car in nearly as many years so I'm used to the washing regime what a glutton for punishment!! I have used Turtle Wax Nano-tech extreme on my previous Akoya silver Audi and it always came up great so going to give it a go with the FL2...but I think I'll treat myself to a new leather to wipe it down!

As for the pale leather/black carpet combo, a few cars ago my 307cc (yes why you might ask!) was black with pale grey leather and black carpets and I loved the combo so wanted similar again as I had a black with black leather and headlining in my 325ci and it was a bit depressing, the pics don't do it justice mind you and most of the complements I've had since getting the car have been the seats so no regrets!

Any recommendations on a wax that doesn't require a re-mortgage to buy, for me to do the FL2 and wife's clio (oh I wish she hadn't sold her RX-8!!)

Only thing left to do is upgrade to 18" wheels but think that can wait a bit... do they affect the cosseting ride has anyone driven both?

Post #21661 6th Jun 2008 9:08 am
Cameo

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey
Re: Picked up my new toy

tunaz100 wrote:
Hi all after much deliberation on hat spec to get I've collected my black FL2...

What a car fantastic ride compared to my A4 S-line, getting 34 mpg on my daily 160 mile motorway commute

Good choice Thumbs Up I also changed from an A4 S-Line (B6) and the ride is so much better. It's great not having to avoid broken tarmac or a large pebble which will cause the suspension to crash through the cabin. I'm also enjoying the better economy (frequently less than 25 mpg in the Audi) and lower road tax- who said 4x4 are worse than a family saloon for the environment Laughing

I'm liking the contrasting interior too but the beige is a definite no-no with my 2 year old son.

Enjoy the FL2 experience Cool

Post #21662 6th Jun 2008 9:15 am
tunaz100

United Kingdom 

This is my 6th black car in nearly as many years so I'm used to the washing regime what a glutton for punishment!! I have used Turtle Wax Nano-tech extreme on my previous Akoya silver Audi and it always came up great so going to give it a go with the FL2...but I think I'll treat myself to a new leather to wipe it down!

As for the pale leather/black carpet combo, a few cars ago my 307cc (yes why you might ask!) was black with pale grey leather and black carpets and I loved the combo so wanted similar again as I had a black with black leather and headlining in my 325ci and it was a bit depressing, the pics don't do it justice mind you and most of the complements I've had since getting the car have been the seats so no regrets!

Any recommendations on a wax that doesn't require a re-mortgage to buy, for me to do the FL2 and wife's clio (oh I wish she hadn't sold her RX-8!!)

Only thing left to do is upgrade to 18" wheels but think that can wait a bit... do they affect the cosseting ride has anyone driven both?

Post #21663 6th Jun 2008 9:21 am
xxtrail

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

It looks great Thumbs Up , the Alpaca really lifting the interior and you've gained a rear pocket to the driver's seat (thought it's omission was very mean of LR, and the lack of adjustable lumbar support). If it's not impertinent, can I ask the 'fitted cost of the leather to the seats and doors, and who did it. Question

I keep thinking about steps as the wife moans every time she gets in or out. Though she'd probably still moan if I had them fitted, as she'd likely enough try to step over them, rather than on to them. Whistle Was GS TD4 Auto, Privacy, Santorini with Tundra & Alpaca, Cold Climate Pack. Traded for Discovery Sport HSE Auto.

Post #21664 6th Jun 2008 9:24 am
tunaz100

United Kingdom 

The leather cost £1050 and the dealer sorted it as part of the deal so no idea who did the work but I found a local firm on the wirral that did the work as well and they were pretty similar at £1150 which is good, as it is the whole seat rather than just the facings...

The only obvious problem is longevity but the dealer has warranted it for 2 years whilst the LR warranty is current and life's too short to worry about it too much if it needs a bit of refurb in a couple of years I won't be too bothered, the other problem will be when me and the wife decide to reproduce as I'm sure it will require purchase of about a million leather wipes as well as nappies as she's already decreed she's having the FL2 in 2-3 years time after I've put about 60000 on it!!

Post #21666 6th Jun 2008 9:59 am
chicken george

I like the fact the black carpet remains, very sensible, but I'm not a fan of light coloured interiors anyway they just seem like hard work!
I once owned a blue astra with blue seats and blue dash but thankfully a white headlining At work
At home

Post #21667 6th Jun 2008 10:04 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Don't get me wrong the cream and black does make a nice change

I have the Half Cream leather, but my carpets are cream too seeing it with balck stands out to me personally.

regarding your question on wax, there is a range of waxs called collinite, I read up on waxes prior to getting mine and it gets really really good reviews from the detailers that use it

I opted for Collinite 476s (large tin £24 small £15) they say put 2 very thin layers on and buff off (leaving 24 hours between each coat or as much time as you want). this leaves a really nice wet looking gloss and its quite heavy duty too so it should last up to a year.

The Collinite 915 Marque D'Elegance get really good reviews too

I not done my FL2 yet, due to having some paint work done on a scratch, but on the brothers brand new black volvo it was very glossy Cool Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #21668 6th Jun 2008 10:07 am
chicken george

xxtrail wrote:

I keep thinking about steps as the wife moans every time she gets in or out. Though she'd probably still moan if I had them fitted, as she'd likely enough try to step over them, rather than on to them. Whistle

Get her one of these ( not that I'm calling your wife a dog)
 At work
At home

Post #21669 6th Jun 2008 10:32 am
xxtrail

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Already got that exact ramp CG, and it's for the dog (almost 13) not the wife. The problem with the ramp is it's heavy and bulky and the dog prefers to be lifted in/out rather than walk up/down it. The FL2 boot loading height is a bit of a pain.

Suppose I could tell the wife to wear shorter skirts so they don't get mucky from the sill lip. Wink Was GS TD4 Auto, Privacy, Santorini with Tundra & Alpaca, Cold Climate Pack. Traded for Discovery Sport HSE Auto.

Post #21673 6th Jun 2008 11:31 am
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

Yeah. But black?? Rolling Eyes

Post #21675 6th Jun 2008 11:46 am
chicken george

snappa wrote:
Yeah. But black?? Rolling Eyes

You really want that kick in the goolags don't you? At work
At home