« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Rear-seat entertainment
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
oakwood

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Rear-seat entertainment

Can anyone give more details on the rear-seat entertainment system? The brochure and website are vague, giving little more than photos of the screens in the backs of the front headrests. The dealer knows no more.

They work with wireless headphones.
I presume these are included in the pack, but how many sets (2?).
You can buy "additional head sets", but can the system work with 3?

It mentions that you can plug in a DVD player, but:
can the system work from a DVD placed in the normal CD system?

Is the system any good?!
Any other comments appreciated.

This system may seem an extravagance, but when you drive for 10 hours or more with kids in the back, it would be a great bonus to the sanity of both the kids and the front-seaters. Also, the drivers will be able to listen to something else without having to listen to a Disney soundtrack without pictures.

Post #37205 16th Feb 2009 12:59 pm
phil_wkl

Australia 

See here for more info:
http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic3170.html

You get two sets of headphones, don't know about adding more. You have to plug in a source using AV inputs so no, not from the CD player or the DVD Sat nav. Phil

Post #37207 16th Feb 2009 1:21 pm
zone30

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

Consider Ipods... I think it'll cost you less, it's portable and each kid can watch their own movie.
My dealer says the screens are very small anyway, so consider the larger roofmounted sytems as well. Not only are they bigger, but I think if in a few years you want to, you can replace it with a newer model.
I've read the following comment you should consider: "do you really want those screens so close to your head?".
If you're still not sure, buy a loose system to see if your kids are using it.

Myself I, plan to switch the front unit with a 2din nav/entertainement system as I will use it when I'm waiting for my kid to get ready after football training practice.

I also bought a removable DVD player you can strap on the headrests for €90 in the ALDI approx. 1 year ago. My son, who's 18 now, has used it an impressive 1 time, the day after I bought it, so I didn't bother buying a fitted system. And since he's a teen and naturall lazy, he's usually laying down in the backseat anyway, so a loose system makes more sence.

I myself started using it 3 months ago when waiting on my son and watched my first complete movie in multiple 10 to 15 minute bits.

Post #37208 16th Feb 2009 1:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks

United Kingdom 

I was looking in to the RSE the other week, if your looking at the dealer prices forget about it, they are too expensive for what it is. If your lucky you could get one on Ebay for around £250, which would need a DIY install

For the same money you would pay a dealer, you could get a better fitted system, including a DVD player in each headrest, or hidden away have a look at the Rosen system for the FL2

With the LR RSE system, you just getting rear monitors, which you then have to plug in the DVD player, and the DVD player would then have to have a audio lead to plug in to the AUX slot to power the sound through the AUX of the cars radio/or rear sear wired headphones.

I don't know how many set of wireless headphone could be connected, but i would assume 2, which are provided.

The CD player in the front of the car is just that a CD player, no dvd would be read, and the DVD player for the satnav would only read satnav disc aswell.

I know a member Carlfraz, got his system installed with digital TV, DVD player hidden away and was looking at a link for the front sat navscreen for £1500'sh IIRC Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #37210 16th Feb 2009 1:27 pm
oakwood

Thanks for the comments. You've got me thinking now.... It seems difficult to get to the point where all the options decisions ae made. Not easy!

Post #37213 16th Feb 2009 3:49 pm
zone30

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

oakwood wrote:
Thanks for the comments. You've got me thinking now.... It seems difficult to get to the point where all the options decisions ae made. Not easy!

There-in lies the fun of buying a new car Very Happy

Post #37214 16th Feb 2009 4:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
phil_wkl

Australia 

£1500 is a lot different to £250? which dealer would install a DVD system for that price? Phil

Post #37226 16th Feb 2009 6:51 pm
Barton Freelander

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Lago Grey

Here's what i went for a roof mount dvd with wireless headphone or it played though FM on the radio.supplied and fitted for £400. Very Happy

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Freelander2 GS TD4 Manual in Lago Grey Smile .Roof Mount DVD 9.2''Screen~Window Tints~Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth~Retro Fit Sony Satnav~iPhone Dashmount~Side Steps~Woodco Armrest~Mudflaps~Land Rover Sunglass Holder~LED Interior Lights~Private Plate.Evoque Collected 17th Sept 2012.

Also Audi TT Roadster.Smile

Post #37229 16th Feb 2009 7:56 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

FL2 Rosen Headrest mounted system picture, but they don't quote price on the site i found it on

Click image to enlarge

The sponsors for RRSport http://www.cat-essex.com/ do a RRS one for £999

maybe the FL2 will be similar priced Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #37231 16th Feb 2009 8:22 pm
Ron

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Izmir Blue

There is no doubt the headrest option looks good, but at what price. With 2 kids I have opted for 2 X archos 605's media players.
They come with 160gb hard drive, enough to store about 80 to 100 hours of video (there are a lot of DVD to AVI software converters available free on the internet). also plays MP3, view photos, wireless internet and can even record from freeview or sky. The plus side is that they are easy to carry around and no expensive equipment left in the car. Expect to pay £160 - £200 per device, but there are cheaper ones available without internet and smaller hard drives

Post #37232 16th Feb 2009 8:39 pm
Barton Freelander

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Lago Grey

I have 2 leather headrest mount dvd's sitting in my loft if anyone is interested i had them in my old x-type jag.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Freelander2 GS TD4 Manual in Lago Grey Smile .Roof Mount DVD 9.2''Screen~Window Tints~Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth~Retro Fit Sony Satnav~iPhone Dashmount~Side Steps~Woodco Armrest~Mudflaps~Land Rover Sunglass Holder~LED Interior Lights~Private Plate.Evoque Collected 17th Sept 2012.

Also Audi TT Roadster.Smile

Post #37233 16th Feb 2009 8:53 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

npinks wrote:
FL2 Rosen Headrest mounted system picture, but they don't quote price on the site i found it on

Click image to enlarge

The sponsors for RRSport http://www.cat-essex.com/ do a RRS one for £999

maybe the FL2 will be similar priced

fugly Shocked At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #37234 16th Feb 2009 9:09 pm
chris8of9

Isle Of Man 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Narvik Black
Re: Rear-seat entertainment

oakwood wrote:

They work with wireless headphones.
I presume these are included in the pack, but how many sets (2?).
You can buy "additional head sets", but can the system work with 3?

You get two sets of headphones in the kit. You can get another set if you want, they will still work fine as they take the IR output from top of the screens.

oakwood wrote:

It mentions that you can plug in a DVD player, but:
can the system work from a DVD placed in the normal CD system?

You cannot use any of the in built CD or DVD players. You need to provide your own source. I installed a VEBA DVD player under the drivers seat It takes DVDs and a USB input. You could also mount a multi changer under the seat or in the boot.
oakwood wrote:

Is the system any good?!
Any other comments appreciated.

The system works fine right out of the box so long as you have a source. the screens aren't the biggest. If you want bigger screens you will be forced to use non original headrests.

oakwood wrote:

This system may seem an extravagance, but when you drive for 10 hours or more with kids in the back, it would be a great bonus to the sanity of both the kids and the front-seaters. Also, the drivers will be able to listen to something else without having to listen to a Disney soundtrack without pictures.

All in all I think the system as supplied by LR is good but it could have been better (provision for hardwiring inputs would have been usefull). I have also provided an audio link through the the rear audio jack should I want to use the stereoes speakers as oposed to the headphones.

As Npicks states, I would not pay the money the dealers are asking, but if you can pick up a set on line for about 250 they become value for money. One added bonus is that they are LR, and as such covered by the same waranty and can be replaced / fixed by your dealer.

hope this helps.

Post #37238 16th Feb 2009 10:45 pm
oakwood

Lots of great advice, thanks.

In fact, I have decided to give the system a miss. The final choice was seeing the screen size is only 5.6" compared to my kids' existing portable DVD player which has about 7.5".

This allows me to get the heated seats which my wife will appreciate.

Post #37248 17th Feb 2009 9:40 am
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I have a pair of 6" Alpine screens in each headrest, and an Apline 6 disc DVD player under the passenger seat. I then disconnected the AUX socket from the centre console and connected to the audio output from the DVD player, but hidden under the console. From the outside the AUX socket looks normal.

By doing this, I have the DVD sound in full surround sound through the factory Alpine system, then if little one wants her head phones on, she just used the twin audio headphone sockets in the rear console while we can listen to the CD/radio,

Click image to enlarge
 Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #37296 17th Feb 2009 11:04 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>