« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Spare wheel & Repair Kit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
alan1965

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Loire Blue
Spare wheel & Repair Kit

Hi Chaps, Not been on for a while but change of vehicle prompts a question.
Changing my 2007 FL2 in for a Loire Blue XS FL2 on Wednesday which is supplied with the usual Tire repair kit. Because i tow regular i asked about keeping my Steel full sized spare, and the reply was "YES". What a nice bloke!!. When he asked why; i said because of the restrictions on speed when running on a repaired tire. He then pointed to the sticker on my spare and said but that's no different. However i would sooner run on a new spare than a repaired tire using the kit, especially when towing.
So the question; "why is a full sized Steel spare still restricted to 50 Kph/30mph ? is it something to to with rotating mass? alloys v steel!
awaiting your coments

thanks

Post #239945 3rd Nov 2014 8:50 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

I believe it's because it's on a steel rim. You could always look on the well known auction site for a full size spare on an alloy rim to get round the speed limitation.

Post #239948 3rd Nov 2014 9:05 pm
Moleshome

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

I'm sure I read somewhere, probably on here, that the speed restriction was due to the taper on the wheel nuts not matching that on the steel wheel. You'd think if that was the case then JLR would have specified a steel wheel with the same taper.

Post #239956 3rd Nov 2014 9:30 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

I know that for mot purposes, the tyres across an axle must be the same size and aspect ratio. I believe the law makes an exception for different size tyres for temporary emergency use as long as the speed is limited, hence the 50mph/80kph (not 30mph/50kph as has been said earlier) sticker on the wheel. Nothing to do with using a combination of steel and alloy rims (well, at least as far as the mot is concerned). My FL HSE has 18" alloys as standard but the spare is a 17" steel one although both have the same external circumference due to the 17" using a 'taller' tyre. If you had an 18" steel wheel with the same size and aspect ratio tyre there would be no speed restrictions. As others have already said, get a same size alloy spare but if you are worried about a reduced towing speed, aren't caravans/trailers limited to 50mph anyway?

Post #239963 3rd Nov 2014 10:09 pm
alan1965

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Loire Blue

Thanks for the replies. I have been and checked the wheel, and you are correct its 80 kmh/50 mph not 50/30 as i first thought. So that's a result. You can tow at 60 mph on motorways, but with a spare on, 50 won't be a problem. Me thinks its got to be better than a kit repaired tire. Not had any experience with modern systems, hopefully will never need to. Will also check the wheel nut taper difference - thanks for that.
Will wait and see if i can accommodate both systems in the boot of the new motor. Very Happy

thanks again for you views and info, as ever a great site. Thumbs Up

keep it up!

Post #239970 3rd Nov 2014 11:05 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1