Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Discovery Sport Thread **ALL HERE**
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 112 of 127 <123 ... 111112113 ... 125126127>
Print this entire topic · 
landgreen

Canada 

My local JLR shop told me that the "dual purpose" DPFs will never work properly for the reasons stated above AND that the company has known this for up to three years. Therefore 7000 to 8000 miles between oil changes is now just a fact of life for most drivers and the only way this can ever improve is if they increase the dilution levels. For obvious reasons this prospect is going down like a lead balloon in some quarters.

Meanwhile the next problem in the stable is the Discovery V6 diesel doesn't work properly either and some of these cars are getting only 4000 to 5000 miles between oil changes. Having abandoned the SCRF experiment, I read that on the D5 they went back to an older-style DPF bolted to the OxyCat with the NOx treatment system (DEF + SCR) further back under the car. I love everything about the 2017 Discovery but until this has been sorted out I think the only sensible thing to do is wait and see.

Post #347814 19th Apr 2018 5:05 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Looks like I am one of the luckier ones regarding dilution.

Got mine with 7k already done, said it needed oil change in 2k miles - so changed oil at 11k (distance to oil change was going up due to my driving "style"). Now 6.5k later she says oil change due in 14.8k miles, so my driving style must be LR specified.
Sad bit is I will be changing the oil roughly every 10-11k because I want to.
Thing is, if you are changing the oil twice as often do you need to use ridiculously expensive oil, or will something cheaper last the course? especially if like some you are thinning it with diesel. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #347821 19th Apr 2018 5:45 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

scrf will not disappear other manufacturers are using it too, not always close coupled either. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #347824 19th Apr 2018 6:11 pm
DennisV

United Kingdom 

Autocar have recently mentioned the same issue in their long term test of the new Discovery: “…newer cars can apparently prompt a DPF declog, even at low engine speeds, by injecting more diesel at low revs to heat up the exhaust gases. When they do that, though, some of the diesel can seep into and dilute the engine oil in the sump. And if that happens too much, you need an oil change at intervals before the expected 20,000 mark”. The author goes on to say “I’ve had a few emails since from people who’ve had similar, either completed under warranty or, once or twice, as something they’ve had to pay for, which seems mean”.

Post #347825 19th Apr 2018 6:13 pm
DennisV

United Kingdom 

Evidently the Discovery Autocar was reporting on had a service at 10,000 miles (not sure if that was the first service) and another at 15,000 miles. “The electronic oil monitor reckoned the oil was degraded or contaminated enough to be changed, so they did it free under warranty”.

OK until the “free up to 50k miles” services run out! Not so good afterwards or if you are sold a car after the get out clause was inserted into the manual and marketing literature and have to pay yourself?

Post #347826 19th Apr 2018 6:25 pm
landgreen

Canada 

chicken george wrote:
scrf will not disappear other manufacturers are using it too, not always close coupled either.

That statement would be good news if you could support it with facts. Which new JLR cars are going to use it? Which other manufacturers use it now or will do in the future?

Post #347998 22nd Apr 2018 6:26 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

https://www.dieselnet.com/news/2016/02daimler.php
https://www.dieselnet.com/news/2015/04sae.php

https://www.oemoffhighway.com/engines/filt...nt-systems

It's more compact but also it means the scr element heats up faster giving better NOx figures on cold starts

Pros and cons on both sides At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #348017 22nd Apr 2018 9:43 pm
Labradorslave

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I think Land Rover need to either improve the quality of their vehicles or make them cheaper. A few people in our village have jumped from the Germans to Land Rover in the form of the Discovery Sport. Without exception, they are all complaining about the quality and reliability. None of them will be sticking with Land Rover. I think this review says it all.

The middle class family market is awash with nice looking cars now in direct competition with the Discovery and Discovery Sport. Hopefully Land Rover will sort it out but history suggests not. Lets hope the new defender lives up to expectations.

Post #349436 13th May 2018 7:16 am
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

I'm an AITCH man rather than a HAITCH man. Perhaps I'm pedantic. Sad MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #349441 13th May 2018 9:13 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Me too! Rolling with laughter Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #349444 13th May 2018 9:36 am
j77

Scotland 

LR has had poor reliability for decades, that’s the reason they’ve finished bottom of every survey.

Out of 10 LRs only one has left me at the side of the road.

Given the reliable BMWs recent electrical issues and Volkswagen now having seatbelt issues on the new polo, not to mention their emission cheating I’ll take my chances with LR. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #349524 14th May 2018 9:33 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

I can only speak from my experience about the Disco Sport - had mine for 12,000 miles,
It's not missed a beat.

Downside - it is far thirstier than the "comparative fuel consumption" figures, but still a lot better than the older FL2.
It drinks AdBlue - not something I was warned about, but think of all the Polar bears I am saving!
There is no spare wheel and no-where to fit one, (7 seats and deployable tow bar!)
I still have to use LR dealers till the warranty expires

She is fun to drive, feels solid as a rock, and bounces well off-road (don't tell the wife) - yes I love it. Maybe not quite as much as a bright orange in-your-face FL2, but give her another 180,000 miles and I will let you know how she gets on.

I learned a long time ago not to trust LR service intervals, so intermediate engine oil changes, and similar for gearboxes, diffs, and Haldex will keep her sweet, but others who have bought one actually believed the sales blurb that said 21k miles between oil changes - and probably the "sealed for life" diff/gearbox. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #349552 15th May 2018 12:54 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

j77 wrote:
LR has had poor reliability for decades

Think you mean from birth Laughing Thumbs Up MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #349555 15th May 2018 1:39 pm
j77

Scotland 

I was trying to be optimistic Laughing

The Fl2 was the best by far.

It’s LRs software that’s causing headaches at the moment, each update kills more than it cures Rolling Eyes 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #349570 15th May 2018 6:56 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

You can probably get this from other sources but I had the latest LR digital mag sent today from Yeovil LR. No doubt other dealerships will be offering their versions.

https://drive.idealershipmag.com/helston/l...l-q2-2018/ 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #349587 15th May 2018 9:23 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 112 of 127 <123 ... 111112113 ... 125126127>