Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Discovery Sport Thread **ALL HERE**
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 111 of 127 <123 ... 110111112 ... 125126127>
Print this entire topic · 
Largered

Dorset, these DS's are plummeting in price, or is it because its red ??

....... see top right hand corner for price.......

http://www.usedvehicles.landrover.co.uk/search#/details/2822410

Click image to enlarge

.................. I'm on my way to Reading as I type.........

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

edit @ 11:32, just rechecked the LR site ........ the price has been 'readjusted' ..... when I say Price, I mean the random number generator Laughing ............. but the photo never lies Yawn

Post #344831 13th Mar 2018 11:57 am
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Honest John wasn't very complimentary about the DS in this weekend's Telegraph - apparantly lots of problems with DPF and regeneration. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #344839 13th Mar 2018 12:52 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

dorsetfreelander wrote:
A purely hypothetical question. I had a bad dream last night that I was looking for a DS. However if for some reason I wanted to buy a DS and was researching the possibility I would want one with a proper spare wheel. Now I understand that this is a decision to be made when the car is built so is there any easy way of finding out if a used DS has the spare wheel well short of seeing the vehicle in the flesh. I suspect that the proportion will be quite small.

5 seaters can have the spare wheel stored where the rear two seats "should" be - 5 seat and higher spec (HSE) are rare.
7 seaters without a tow bar and a spare, have a Siamese exhaust - the spare is clearly visible from the back.
7 seaters with a tow bar also have the Siamese exhaust and a fugly tow bracket that requires a bumper cut, the spare is visible from the back.
Those of us with 7 seats and a deployable tow bar have to carry the spare in the caravan, or in the boot with a false floor made from plywood. SWMBO has decreed that I can't take out the two rear seats - that even she admits we will never use.

DS not really a nightmare to own, if you change the oil at 11k miles rather than the 22k that LR recommend, harder suspension than the FL2, better fuel economy, similar driving position, same rubbish dealerships. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #344845 13th Mar 2018 1:42 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

tenet wrote:
Honest John wasn't very complimentary about the DS in this weekend's Telegraph - apparantly lots of problems with DPF and regeneration.

Wouldn't know about the DPF - assuming mine has done a regen in the 3 months and 8k miles that I have owned her, but adblue that needs a 10 litre top-up every 5k miles was a shocker. At least it's easy to do, just like filling the screenwash. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #344847 13th Mar 2018 1:48 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Honest john is obviously very lazy. A grumpy type on the DS forum fed honest John a load of BS and he repeats it vebatim.
any attempts to correct this on the forum is met with a stop from the mod. 'It doesnt
need to be true aslong as it annoys LR'

Ablu use is high and the oil gets diluted during regens. But no Dpf problems for me.partly because the car has a scrf not a dpf, honest john looks a bit silly now. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #344859 13th Mar 2018 4:12 pm
DirtyDuck

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue

dorsetfreelander wrote:
Anyone who has been on a marketing course knows that you always launch your top end products first so as to profit from the "early adopters" , you then work your way down the feature/price range as people aspire to owning one but can't quite afford the top end version.
The second thing is that you decide what your target customer base is. Originally it was farmers and the army then the "lifestyle" market appeared which is much bigger. It is clear to me that the LR market is now all about aspiration and lifestyle, after all how many actually go off road?

Your are right, but round here, the roads are bristling with L200's a old Toyota pickups and the like. So there IS a market for that kind of vehicle, rugged and used as God intended, but the trouble is, LR don't like those kind of customers dragging mud into their showrooms and see more profit dropping them like cold soggy potatoes.

Post #347122 10th Apr 2018 6:18 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Had a look on Broadspeed.com and they are discounting by circa 15% across the diesel model range. Sign of the times post LR laying off 1000 contract workers due to falling sales. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #347391 13th Apr 2018 9:42 pm
landgreen

Canada 

chicken george wrote:
Honest john is obviously very lazy. ...
But no Dpf problems for me.partly because the car has a scrf not a dpf, honest john looks a bit silly now.

The Disco Sport is fitted with a modified diesel particulate filter (DPF) containing an extruded monolith coated with a proprietary cocktail of copper, iron and vanadium compounds. The coating is painted onto the filter to assist the 3-way catalytic conversion of NOx into nitrogen and water. While this chemical process is happening, the carbon particulate matter accumulates on the monolith until an active regeneration is required to oxidise the soot to CO2. This aspect of its operation is no different to any other type of DPF. According to JM, their architecture enables a more compact SCRF® system to be assembled (SCRF = DPF + SCR).

The problem on the DS and Evoque is that this device is situated too far back from the exhaust manifold which both increases the frequency and extends the duration of each active regeneration event. This causes more interrupted regenerations, faster FIO contamination from post-injection of diesel and accelerated oil change intervals. It's all described in this document JLRP00100: https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/download/file.php?id=5997

Reputable journalists don't risk their reputations (or invite legal actions for defamation) by repeating unfounded rumours in the "lazy" fashion implied by this poster. As for denying that the LR cars are fitted with DPFs? Well, that's just plain wrong.

Post #347638 17th Apr 2018 9:43 am
DennisV

United Kingdom 

Interesting document. I’ve read it through but have I understood it correctly?

A note has now been added to the vehicle handbook and marketing literature to the effect that additional oil services may apply depending on driving patterns?

If the customer bought the vehicle before that note was added they can get free oil changes up to 50,000 miles. If the car was bought after that note was added the customer has to pay for additional oil services.

So there has been no effective modification to eliminate the root cause of the oil dilution problem? They have just shunted the responsibility onto customers while providing free oil services up to 50,000 for those customers where they cannot point to wording saying additional servicing may be required.

If that’s an accurate summary then I’d think that Honest John was right to say what he did. I can see why some owners are going to be up in arms …. especially after they exceed 50,000 miles!

Post #347731 18th Apr 2018 1:52 pm
chicken george

100%v scrf not dpf. Scrf is a particulate filter but not a dpf as such. The only person who states scrf is too far from engine is a forum member with no facts behind him.

Dpf need lots of heat scrf needs less. Knfact too much heat will damage an scrf At work
At home

Post #347734 18th Apr 2018 4:04 pm
j77

Scotland 

My 3.0 D5 had this issue but never really bothered me.

My 2.0 D240 Velar doesn’t seem to suffer from it. Neither does the 2.0 D5 that I’m aware off. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #347735 18th Apr 2018 4:40 pm
DennisV

United Kingdom 

The JLR document states that the frequency of and duration of a regeneration cycle is longer on certain models including DS. It goes on to say that this may result in fuel in oil dilution and when 6.1% dilution is reached the service required message will be triggered. Continued vehicle operation with high oil dilution will result in engine failure.

So, whatever the root cause, JLR themselves acknowledge there is a potential problem under certain usage condition with 16>17 model year vehicles that seemingly did not affect previous models. According to a poll on the DS forum 43% of customers (151 data points) needed the first service before 8,399 miles.

Does anyone know whether changes have been made to 2018 model year vehicles? If so knowing what has changed will tell us what the real cause was?

Post #347736 18th Apr 2018 4:40 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

It looks like it's the documentation that has changed - now they admit that intermediate oil changes may be necessary.

Mines a 2017 and due it's first service in a few weeks, the local dealer has admitted that there are "a couple" of outstanding software changes - wonder if one is oil dilution related?

Answer this one, OK the oil is thin and needs changing - why change the filter? - it's just there to catch solids.
Granted on the DS it's a piece of cake compared to the knuckle shredding that goes on with the FL2 Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #347743 18th Apr 2018 7:03 pm
chicken george

Second oil change is taking a lot longer to come around, (estimating around 15000) maybe software has improved things a bit. adblue usage seems down a bit too. 5000+ mile on one tank.
never noticed a regen happening whilst driving or had any concerns about them

I did a non scientific oil inspection yesterday, drips off the dipstick like oil should and doesnt pong of diesel.

Im quite a diesel engine dipstick user, tractors, combines, loader, bobcat,generator even lawn mower , so Im qualified to evaluate oil on a dipstick, truth and jest combined there 6% fuel dilution would be hard to notice on a dipstick .

Still no issues with car, a clip fell of inside boot after Mrs G overloaded it with shopping,

If you open door on a sidehill dont try and hold it open with your foot pushing lower part of door as its plastic and needs thumping back on after Rolling Eyes , normal door holding behaviour on all other cars Ive had.

My employee has DS 1 year old , zero issues apart from reversing into a post that the sensors somehow managed to miss.

friend had a had a used DS for 6 month, electric tailgate jammed shut thats all At work
At home

Post #347746 18th Apr 2018 7:35 pm
DennisV

United Kingdom 

Andy, re the software update …. Per the bulletin JLR is updating the software to split the service indicator so it can show either a message saying just an oil service is needed (for the oil dilution issue), or a full service is needed (based on time & distance).

CG …. As you say, the threshold of 6.1% oil dilution is impossible to assess visually, however JLR do state that when 6.1% dilution is reached the “service required” message will be triggered and continued vehicle operation with high oil dilution will result in engine failure. That’s a strong statement! I would resent paying for early oil changes even if the vehicle is dated after the get out clause was added to the handbook and marketing literature.

I don’t have a DS, still happy with the Freelander I already have, but the oil dilution saga is relevant to all of us in that it shows how JLR is approaching the issue by hiding behind a newly inserted get out clause in the handbook and marketing literature. Not acceptable if you’ve bought and intend to keep long term what they continually tell us is a premium vehicle?

Post #347811 19th Apr 2018 3:58 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 111 of 127 <123 ... 110111112 ... 125126127>