Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Discovery Sport Thread **ALL HERE**
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 109 of 127 <123 ... 108109110 ... 125126127>
Print this entire topic · 
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Its not a dpf as such, its an SCRF thats the issue, it doesnt passivly regenerate just active regens with over-fueling, this ends up with diesel in the sump.

big argument on other forum - but the heat from a good long motor way run does little to help

longer trips will mean less interrupted active regens , so maybe your oil dilution will be reduced.

I think software will reduce this problem, others seem to think nothing will improve until the scrf is moved closer to the turbo,
Its a complicated issue, you have to cook a dpf ,close couple it to the turbo and hope it gets long journeys.
scrf is more of a catalytic principle using adblu before the filter instead of after, with more active regens. the scrf box is under the car on a DS At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #336410 2nd Dec 2017 10:46 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Andy131 wrote:
It's a September 2016 ex LR flees car with 7k miles - and has no spare, I was hoping to be able to buy the parts to fit one.

Mmmmm service plan
Bought the ewok with 45k on the clock freshly serviced, the week before I got rid I had her serviced again as part of the serving plan. Two days after getting rid I got a call saying the service plan had expired and that I owed £500 for the service
Appears that they have a 50k limit that wasn't mentioned in the paperwork I was given. See you in court sunshine.
But once bitten twice shy. Or as is often quoted repeating the same action (mistake) and expecting a different result is insane

I drive 40 motorway miles each way to and from work, so DPF shouldn't be a probe

As you say see you in court: Your new car was sold fully serviced and your next service would be in one year or at 60,000 miles. You also were told the car had the added benefit of a service plan (that runs out at 50,000 miles) that was obviously mis- sold unless you were to only do 5,000 miles ever again. I think you will be able to clearly put in a counter claim for the mis-selling. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #336411 2nd Dec 2017 11:05 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

I'm surprised by this. Surely the dealer would know whether or not it had a service plan and check before going ahead? I always make sure when I take the car in that they know it has a service plan (OK, I'm doubly careful, since the ONLY paperwork I have is a confirmation e-mail from the salesman, and I had to ask for that). Ditto if I expect an item to be done under warranty. If they decide they want to charge me I'd expect them to tell me BEFORE they start work! Mind you, I'm pretty happy with the dealership so far - maybe I'm just lucky, although I go there because I'm happy with them, and they're not my nearest dealer.
Mine is also an ex-demo car (dealer not LR) and I was a bit surprised to find on line that the warranty runs from the date I bought it, not the date of first reg. I haven't mentioned this to the dealer Whistle Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #336447 2nd Dec 2017 3:47 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

I won't mention the dealer - but
We paid £27k for a two year old car that 7 months later was worth £18.5k, LR assistance said the car was dangerous, but not in writing, he just said get it too the garage ASAP, the garage had two attempts at fixing it, and again it was reported at the service, but because it would turn up at random (nothing for 3 weeks, then 4 times in a day), no fault found.
Gill refused point blank to drive the car, I have taken her 15 year old Micra to work rather than drive the Ewok, when she didn't need it.
We bought the car with 2 years warranty, 2 years LR assistance, and the remainder (2 years) of the service package. The service package paperwork just said transfer the package to me, no details of how long it would last and no details of any mileage limit.
The dealer did check before starting the service and it was within the time period, only when they submitted the claim to the people underwriting the service agreement was the 50k limit exposed.
In the end I was desperate to get rid, even in negative equity "we by any car" was my next step - and just buy an old banger.
Farnells at Bradford came up trumps, right spec, Gills colour, and a finance deal that I could afford, - still wary of the ignium engine.
Remember I had a relatively bomb proof FL2 that did 185k hard miles. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #336451 2nd Dec 2017 4:25 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Dealer's fault then! They should check more carefully. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone

Post #336452 2nd Dec 2017 4:42 pm
landerthree

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

DirtyDuck wrote:
snerkler wrote:
Hi,

My FL2 Metropolis is coming up to the end of its PCP and I'm toying with options. Top of the wish list is the DS HSE Dynamic, although not sure if it'll be out of my price range. However, I have a question about the new engines, and gearbox.

Firstly, my FL2 has the 2.2 SD4 which has 190bhp and 450Nm torque IIRC but the DS engine I'd probably be looking at is the TD4 180bhp which has 430Nm. For those that have gone from the Old FL2 SD4 to the new 180hp TD4 did you notice a reduction in drive/power? I know there's the 240hp Diesel but it's very pricey.

Also, I'm concerned that with the loss of HP and torque, as well as the extra 3 gears that it will be forever changing gear, especially with just the slightest hint of acceleration. Is this the case?

Any help appreciated.

Can't comment on the engine, but the gearbox is superb - you won't notice the gear changes. However, you will (may) notice that the ride is not as comfy as your FL2 - we test drove and test drove the DS until we decided it wasn't for us - ride too firm, seats too firm and not big enough (I am a big but not enormous guy), and a bit too "pretty" to be used for a utility vehicle, but that is a personal view that you don't need my opinion on. So we have bought a late used FL2 instead.

The handing of the DS is superb, and for the handling you get the ride is good (way better than an X3 for example).

Words that might describe an FL2 - comfy, laid back, rugged, muddy.
Words that might describe a DS - sharp, taught, good looking, clean.

Just my take .....

Take a ride through the DS forum - way more opinion/facts than I can give not having actually owned one! But don't expect fuel economy anything like book is something that seems pretty clear (and more off than most cars these days)
I have the FL2 SD4 HSE Its been in the dealers the last 2 days for warranty work on the transfer box.I had the DS td4 manual curtesy car i found it very nippy and a nice ride so much so that when the warranty runs out on my FL2 i was thinking of looking at buying one but reading a few posts on here have made me have second thoughts but there fun to drive

Post #338131 28th Dec 2017 9:59 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Andy131 wrote:
It's a September 2016 ex LR flees car with 7k miles - and has no spare, I was hoping to be able to buy the parts to fit one.

The only way you can fit a spare, as far as I can see, is to take out the third row of seats. In which case you'd have to fabricate a new floor for the boot. Someone has done this on the DS forum - I'm a bit surprised no-one has come up with an "official" kit to do this - I think there is a demand.
It might be possible to fit a "skinny" spare underneath, but you'd have to fit a different exhaust, and maybe other bits too, as it's factory fit only.
I'll attach a picture of the spare in my DS boot - not much room for anything else! It will also go upright between the second row of seats and the boot cover, but it blocks out the entire rear view, and you have to push the seats right forward which takes out most of the leg room.

Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone

Post #338133 28th Dec 2017 10:23 pm
Tradewind 35

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Thanks for photo Past Master. What a completely useless design for a 4 x 4. I would not go anywhere without a proper spare and have had occasion to use my spares twice on the Freely 2. 'fraid for me a DS is probably the most undesirable vehicle Land Rover have produced in the last thirty years. Does not seem to be covering itself with glory as far as build and reliability go judging by the forum feedback - but not as bad as the D5 which seems absurdly dire . I could I suppose live with the hideous harse end but no way would I put up with such poor reliability and inadequate build quality. It has taken some real effort on the part of JLR to turn out so many poor quality vehicles these days and I do not think customers will forgive them in the longer term.

Post #338304 31st Dec 2017 3:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Smallmankey

Wales 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Mauritius Blue
Discovery Sport Courtesy car

I had a Discovery Sport as a courtesy car a week or so ago, while my Freelander was in the Main Dealer for a service.
Was looking forward to driving it, have sat in a few but first time I have driven one and sad to say felt a little disappointing.

Don't get me wrong, it was nice and refined (an SE Tech Td4 manual 180 bhp) but didn't feel anything special.
It didn't seem to have as much go as my SD4 and just felt like a normal car (just a little higher). Certainly when I picked up mine again felt like I was really in a Land Rover again, with the old command driving position they used to go on about.

Positives for the DS are the greater load space (and extra seats, not that I think I'd used them) but apart from that that I don't feel I have the obsolete model in any way.
Even looking at the infotainment the DS, while newer, didn't seem as user friendly to me, with the displays feeling fussy rather than functional, its a car not a tablet computer after all - function is the priority.

Not sure what I will do when it comes to replacing the Freelander (a long while off I hope) as I don't think a Discover Sport would be on the list.

Post #340982 31st Jan 2018 12:53 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Seems its a marmite car.
I personally like mine even after down sizing from a RRS.
But the news on the DS forum isnt good. mind you much of the bad stuff comes from ex owners who have
moved to to other brands.
If the car was as bad as that forum says it would be totally unusable. Whats worse is that even the moderator sees the truth as optional, if you post anything bad it is eagerly lapped up and exaggerated further. Attempts to try and correct any non facts gets you labelled as a trouble causer. Then when you finally get your point across tbe conversation gets steered back to the original non truth within days.

There are issues with oil dilution but this is not unique in modern diesels struggling to achieve euro6. And LR are doing the extra oil changes needed at no cost.

Great car terrible forum. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #340986 31st Jan 2018 2:01 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

The difference is you are comparing a relatively new FL2 to a DS, so the level of sophistication is not such a step change.
I have gone from a high mileage 2008 HSE FL2, with the old info system and halogen lights, to a nearly new 2017 HSE DS.
The improvements are very noticeable.
The 9 speed box is just a gimmick, the fuel economy is not, a modern FL2 would probably get 35mpg (driven unsympathetically) the DS gets 37mpg, but my older FL2 got 28mpg.

The ride height is similar - remember I had 6 months in an Ewok in-between. The suspension is much stiffer - compared to a FL2 with 185K on the clock. The toys are very similar to the last of the FL2. The last two seats are a joke, I am contemplating taking them out so I can fit a space saver wheel in the void.
The shape is a matter of taste - I prefer the FL2 the wife likes the DS.

If you do a high mileage, the FL2 will become unreliable eventually, so Ewok Evil or Very Mad , DS, or X3? etc.

Can't see LR spending money on a FL replacement, when they can't even spend the effort making a Defender replacement. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #340991 31st Jan 2018 2:43 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

New Defender will get a Freelander 3 Variant is my best guess. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #340994 31st Jan 2018 3:17 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I am hoping that Yorky Bob is right, and the new Defender includes a reasonable sized (and priced) version with the classic command driving position and more supple suspension.

Like Smallmankey I have had several DS courtesy cars and likewise found the driving position to 'car like' and the ride hard.

I did get used to each of them after a good few hours, but, and a big but, I felt a sense of relief when I climbed back into my FL2 with it's superior 'command' driving position. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #341015 31st Jan 2018 6:07 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

chicken george wrote:
Seems its a marmite car.

Great car terrible forum.

Agree with the first comment.
The second comment is a little harsh, proof is I still spend 90% of my time here despite no longer owning a FL2.

There are a lot of people on the DS forum who are not what you would call Land Rover types - ie they want perfection, first time, and the thought of ANY maintenance by themselves is abhorrent. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #341018 31st Jan 2018 6:17 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

@ Chicken George - by “SRCF”, May I take that you mean the Selective Reduction Catalyst? If that’s the case, the the SRC is completely different to a DPF, in that it uses urea solution (trade name AdBlue) to convert harmful nitrogen oxides into nitrogen, water and and CO2.

https://www.dieselforum.org/about-clean-diesel/what-is-scr

It does not need regeneration.

A DPF traps diesel particulates and then burns them at high temperatures. This does require regeneration.

Post #341032 31st Jan 2018 7:51 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 109 of 127 <123 ... 108109110 ... 125126127>