« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Landrover Service vs Porsche
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue
Landrover Service vs Porsche

My son recently bought a used Porsche from a Official Porsche Centre. I used to be impressed by LR but the difference in level of service with Porsche is very noticeable. Any problems bring it in even on a Saturday and we will get someone to look at it. They even call you to see if you are happy with the car and have events where you can take your car in and have it up on a ramp and a technician will talk you through it .

Compare that with "LandRover don't know how to fix it and we are short of courtesy cars and the next time we have a technician in on a Saturday is in three weeks time etc......." I sometimes wonder if the product is getting too divorced from the support network. Oh and the servicing costs were lower than LR too.

Post #235784 24th Sep 2014 6:49 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Go buy one then, might stop your doom and gloom outlook of LR Rolling Eyes Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #235797 24th Sep 2014 7:35 pm
dorsetfreelander

So you are happy with LR service then?

Post #235800 24th Sep 2014 7:48 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

So they should. Porsche are on another level when it comes to the brand name and status in premium terms. Yes the Range Rover is premium and I would have one over a Cayenne no sweat but Porsche have to go the extra mile really.

I would say the same of Aston Martin or Ferrari. I dare say there are plenty of dealers that don't live up to the expectation but they really should with the exotic brands. Indeed, they ought to at LR (and some do) as I'm sure some budget brands will have dealers that offer better service. It's just that the more premium the brand, the higher the expectation. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #235801 24th Sep 2014 7:48 pm
dorsetfreelander

The price of Porsches are not that different to LR now.

Post #235803 24th Sep 2014 7:51 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

It's not the price so much as the name and what the brand means. An Audi R8 V10 is not as premium as an Aston Martin Vanquish in that sense or whatever Aston's equivalent is. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #235806 24th Sep 2014 7:54 pm
taztastic

England 

dorsetfreelander wrote:

Yes, excellent customer service from Hunters in Garstang, always treated with respect, very informative and they go out of their way, I had Mercedes before the Land Rover, now they really were condescending fools.
Every garage is different and every customer is different.

Post #235807 24th Sep 2014 7:57 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

dorsetfreelander wrote:

To be honest, yes I am, I am on my 3rd FL2, I have had the first launch model which had its issues as expected, one in between which wasn't too bad and now the HSE lux which so far doing nothing wrong

I guess it's how I speak to my dealer, the relationship that I have built with them over the past years and how the fight my corner when it comes to warranty claims and LR policy's

So yes, I'm very happy with LR, the dealership I use and when I have needed, LRCS Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #235810 24th Sep 2014 8:00 pm
dorsetfreelander

I have been treated with respect and think my LR dealership is very good and attentive. However when they tell you that LandRover don't know how to fix your car where do you go?

Post #235812 24th Sep 2014 8:01 pm
taztastic

England 

I worked for a company that made state of the art 3D imaging equipment, sometimes we had faults reported that we simply didn't have an answer for, far too complex a machine to foresee every eventuality.
Some of the issues that LR experience will be similar, they may not have seen them or the techie who has may have moved on.
The important part is that they try and resolve the issue with little or no inconvenience to you and I hope you get it resolved. Thumbs Up

Post #235818 24th Sep 2014 8:08 pm
bish789

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

Bear in mind number of Porsches on the road compared to LR. I see maybe a Porsche every couple of days. Less for them to look after so possible to spend the time. I've had two Porkers, and to be honest felt more ripped off by them than I ever have at my LR dealer.

Post #235858 25th Sep 2014 5:52 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

interesting, I've been toying with the idea of buying a Boxster to replace my MX5 when the time comes to change.

so may be a pleasant experience awaiting at the Porsche dealer !!

Iain

Post #235877 25th Sep 2014 9:14 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Dealer quality is very much down to individual dealers. The only LR service centre I've dealt with is TVLR, and I'm certainly happy with the service received there.

When I had my Subarus my local dealer (sadly no longer a Subaru dealer) was very good, but I recently accompanied my brother when he took his Outback to a certain other Subaru dealer in Yorkshire and they were dreadful. Took ages to check the car in as they'd somehow lost his details from the system - despite the fact he'd used them for servicing and even bought cars there in the past. Meanwhile I was out on the lot looking at a new Forester and despite walking right past me a couple of times the salesman didn't bother to come over and talk to me. Then, to add insult to injury, when we went back to pick the car up my brother was told he'd have to come back again because they hadn't changed the plugs as they'd run out! I don't think he'll be using them again.

As for the hesitation problem, yes you'd think LR would have it fixed by now. But as Taz said, sometimes it's not that easy and these things happen.

Post #235885 25th Sep 2014 9:51 am
athelstan

Premium Brands - Customer Service.
I can report two experiences, one relating to Aston Martin and the other Bently.

In the IOM my friend has a Bently (£260k paid) purchased new in 2011 from the island's only official dealer. From the very first week he experienced ECU failures. Car back to dealer, again and again with continued electrical failures. His 'phone calls to me and my visits were full of his emotional pain. Eventually after 10 mths of hell and VOR the dealer called in the manufacturer. They sent an engineer to the island. Car handed back as "all fixed now Sir". A few weeks of no problems and then he was on his way to the airport and the Bently came to a full stop. He remained loyal but his golfing mates made his "rounds" jovially hell. Almost to the second anniversary and after more visits by Bently factory staff, and a return to factory visit for his car he at long last had the Bently he could be proud off - and still is.

Here in Switzerland a friend had a new MY2013 Aston Martin DB9. It too had numerous electrical problems from new but the straw that broke the camels back was when the Service Manager said we need your car for possibly a week. No problem he said. He was then handed the keys to the courtesy car. A KIA. He pushed the keys back across to the Service Manager and said "you have just lost a private client forever, and, this garage and it's associate garages can also forget any business from any of my companies". He sold the DB9 and has issued directives to all his managers that no business must be placed with any of the outlets of the group of garages in question.

Now to Land Rover:
In Switzerland I have experienced shocking customer service and dreadful vehicle servicing/warranty repairs from two garages here, and, had to fight the distributor over the appalling interpretation of the inclusions/exclusions re a major warranty repair. We now use the only official LR dealer in Liechtenstein.

As Tastaztic said: "every garage is different and every customer is different".

Post #235889 25th Sep 2014 10:12 am
MightyMildred

United Kingdom 

Mr MM part exed his v8 vantage and Nissan GTR for a new Vanquish in Skyfall silver.
Hmmmm the garage we use (which shall remain nameless because we have a driving day there soon!)
Has been ok.... But nothing to make us feel special or like a loyal customer. I don't know anymore... Perhaps we expect so much these days. Hahahaha.
The AMV has appalling trim- where the airbags meet, there is an unsightly gap. The right window rattles and whistles, there is no clock!!! Arghhhh. Just a piddly one on the satnaff...
Mmm better go now as this has turned into a review of the vanquish...
Oh and another thing, it cannot put it's power down. Scrabbly & badly behaved.

Post #236081 26th Sep 2014 10:52 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1