« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > High level brake light FL2 '09 TD4 HSE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
kimosabe

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver
High level brake light FL2 '09 TD4 HSE

It's not working and I can't see how to change the bulb, if it is a bulb and not an LED. There aren't any accessible screws and I can't find the fuse. It's mounted under the rear boot spoiler and has an integral jet for the wash/wipe.

The other brake lights are working.

Any clues folks? Whereabouts unknown stop going to follow stream until reach civilisation stop message ends

Post #192345 23rd Jul 2013 7:16 pm
ad210358

England 

Access is via the internal door panel along the top, no screws it just pops off with care Thumbs Up p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #192359 23rd Jul 2013 7:41 pm
kimosabe

Thanks, I'll have a look at it tomorrow and get back to you if I come unstuck. One concern I have is that breaking the seal between the fitting and boot lid could induce a leak. Mastic seems like a very odd solution for something which should be easily reassembled. Also considering an LED upgrade. Whereabouts unknown stop going to follow stream until reach civilisation stop message ends

Post #192397 23rd Jul 2013 10:06 pm
ad210358

England 

The seal is not a sticky seal, more like a compressed foam ring. Two clips hold the light in, it's in the Handbook on how to do it if you have one. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #192399 23rd Jul 2013 10:15 pm
kimosabe

UPDATE: (is there a sticky on this forum for this?)

For anyone who may need to know, the way to change the high level brake light bulb is:

Estimated time: 5 minutes or less. Cost: About £3 or £4.

1) Buy a new bulb: RU955 12v 16w W2 .£3.00. And have a small amount of mastic sealant handy.

2) TOOLS: Panel clip remover. Buy or borrow from a mechanic the panel clip pry tool which you are going to need to use to remove the 3 panel clips from the bodywork when they come off the panel during removal. You'll thank me for this because you won't be able to replace the panel if you don't have one of these tools.

3) REMOVE THE PANEL: Open your boot and you'll see a horizontal panel in the middle, at the top of your rear windscreen. It's about a foot long, directly behind your rear brake light unit and it's secured from behind with three panel clips. Carefully wrap your fingers over the top of the panel and pull starting from one end and working to the other. You will need to give a series of short tugs for the panel to pop off. When it does, you'll see that a couple of the clips have not come away with the panel. Use your panel clip remover for this. They slide back onto the panel very easily and obviously. Thank me for 2. Wink

4) RELEASE THE LIGHT UNIT: There is a lot of stuff going on under the panel but you don't need to touch any of it. Beside both of the two large plastic boxes, the one on the right is coloured red, there is a small access hole. Put your finger into the holes and you will feel a very obvious button. It's white in colour. Press the buttons in, towards the centre of the assembly. This will release the red light unit from the boot lid.

5) REMOVING THE BULB HOLDER: Close but don't shut your boot lid and you will see that the light unit is now sticking out a bit. Gently pul it away from the lid and you will find a black plastic tube for your washer fluid and a thicker black cable which runs to the white plastic bulb holder. Note the exact position of the bulb holder. The bulb holder is held on by three blocks and it twists off. Unscrew it and replace the bulb. (TEST THE BULB BY HAVING SOMEONE PRESS THE BRAKE PEDAL FOR YOU) You'll need to know which slot in the light unit that each of the blocks needs to fit into. Replace the bulb in the hole and twist the bulb holder back into place. This may take a couple of attempts if you have misaligned the bulb holder.

6) REPLACE THE LIGHT UNIT: It fixes to the boot lid with two clips. Just push it back on and it should click back into place. Some people have mentioned that there is a gasket around the light unit which prevents water from entering the boot via the light unit. You may wish to use a clear mastic sealant for this. Run a small bead of sealant around the light unit before snapping it back into place.

7) REPLACE THE PANEL: The panel is also held on to the adjacent panels by slide fasteners. Make sure you have located the panel correctly before snapping the panel clips back into place. You will need to be quite forceful so use the heel of your hand to bang the panel clips home.

Cool TEST THE BULB AGAIN: Check all of your bulbs at least once a week, if not every time you get into your car.
http://www.iam-bristol.org.uk/index.php?op...p;Itemid=1 Whereabouts unknown stop going to follow stream until reach civilisation stop message ends

Post #192713 26th Jul 2013 3:53 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i need to swap out my old tailgate bulb to get it working

am i correct in saying the bulb is this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Automotive-RU...B0094I5J96

sounds like i might need a panel clip remover tool and some sealant (any idea what brand/type)

starting to think that the garage might as well done this, it looks complicated Embarassed Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #232897 27th Aug 2014 4:34 pm
taztastic

England 

Yes, that bulb is correct

it's a doddle Nick, the clips are a pain as mine always stay in the door when I pull the trim off. Thumbs Up

Post #232909 27th Aug 2014 7:35 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

Whistle MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #232912 27th Aug 2014 7:55 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Cheers for the video link LRnut Bow down

Now now, do I stay red or go clear Cool Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #232913 27th Aug 2014 8:25 pm
LR NUT

No worries pal Thumbs Up

I'd say smoke her out gloss black I did mine ages ago and matches the black pack Laughing

I did the edges heavy where no light is emitted and two lights coats where the light it emitted! I don't think any light has been comprised tbh

MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior

Post #232926 27th Aug 2014 10:02 pm
taztastic

England 

Have you got shares in Irn Bru Shocked

Post #232929 27th Aug 2014 10:09 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

All scots have Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #232930 27th Aug 2014 10:11 pm
LR NUT

Rolling with laughter

It's like water to us Thumbs Up

Funnily enough there used to be a L322 Range Rover in Java Black with the no plate 8 ARR I've not seen it for a while now but noticed it's no longer on a landie! I have very good reason to believe that they are related to the actual Barr family

MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior

Post #232931 27th Aug 2014 10:20 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1