Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Feelander 2 Hesitation / Judder / Stuttering fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 18 of 25 <123 ... 171819 ... 232425>
Print this entire topic · 
jenks1950

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Hmmm strangely about 6 or 7 weeks ago I started to notice an occasional misfire and a couple of times there was no power for a few seconds when I pressed the throttle and once it stalled soon after starting when I went to move off. So I was starting to think about fuel filters, air filters, turbo hoses, MAF sensor, crankshaft sensor etc etc

Now this may be the kiss of death, but it hasn't occurred at all for the past few weeks, so I am wondering whether it may have been a dodgy tank of fuel as the improvement seems to coincide with a fresh tankful. I haven't recently used supermarket brand. Normally Shell.

"So the Jury is still out for the time being!!"

Steve

Post #331502 19th Sep 2017 9:55 am
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

My Freelander 2 always misbehaves if I use supermarket fuel... and usually results in the need to have the fuel filter changed when it starts to get cold weather.

Shell, BP or Jet - and I never have an issue... now tell me all fuel is the same!!!! 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #333053 11th Oct 2017 12:45 pm
DarrenDW

United Kingdom 

Hi everyone,

Did this ever get solved? Happens on my early 2014 SD4 auto very gentle acceleration when pulling away (sometimes) or turning tight onto a road and accelerating. I have got a dealership warranty but don't want them to have the car for ages and not finding the culprit as i need it for work. If it is "just one of those things" then i will learn to live with it Smile

Post #334720 8th Nov 2017 4:56 pm
jenks1950

jenks1950 wrote:
Hmmm strangely about 6 or 7 weeks ago I started to notice an occasional misfire and a couple of times there was no power for a few seconds when I pressed the throttle and once it stalled soon after starting when I went to move off. So I was starting to think about fuel filters, air filters, turbo hoses, MAF sensor, crankshaft sensor etc etc

Now this may be the kiss of death, but it hasn't occurred at all for the past few weeks, so I am wondering whether it may have been a dodgy tank of fuel as the improvement seems to coincide with a fresh tankful. I haven't recently used supermarket brand. Normally Shell.

So a bit of an update on my experience...............
Since reporting the above, I continued with this slight and occasional misfire. I ran a few tanks of expensive diesel thru and thought that things improved and for a while I thought (or imagined) that using the expensive stuff had improved matters but then the symptoms returned.
Last week I had a service done by local non LR Indy (previously always carried out by main dealer) I free issued a full set of genuine filters even though the fuel filter was not due according to schedule. It is only a week since I have had the car back, but it seems to run much better. Engine picks up well and no sign yet of any misfire.........anyway everything crossed at the moment, but it makes you wonder whether the Main Dealer has cut corners when servicing and not renewed filters to schedule

Steve

Post #334732 8th Nov 2017 8:40 pm
DarrenDW

United Kingdom 

Cheers for the update! So do you think it was the fuel filter?

Post #334734 8th Nov 2017 8:42 pm
jenks1950

Well it has only been one week, but that is what I am starting to think...............certainly new air filter and fuel filter has got to be a good place to start before looking for something more obscure

Steve

Post #334736 8th Nov 2017 9:18 pm
DarrenDW

United Kingdom 

Fingers crossed, i'll see if it improves over the next week or so/gets on my nerves. Only had the car a week, might have a look at the air filter and see what condition it is in.

Post #334737 8th Nov 2017 9:43 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I have had problems in the past (eg "reduced engine performance" message) that went away after a new fuel filter was fitted.
Also a LR Assist guy once told me that the car is quite sensitive to poor fuel filters and that in the early days they had a lot of problems with diesel waxing in cold weather in the autumn when it starts to get cold (remember that winter diesel has anti waxing agents added). Apparently the early filter design was changed (presumably too fine?) . 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #334749 9th Nov 2017 9:48 am
DarrenDW

United Kingdom 

Any update @jenks1950? Temperature seems to make a difference, it has been fine over the past week or so when it has been below 10c.. Today temperature has been 14-15c and its been playing up! Learning to live with it now but if you managed to get to the bottom of it, ill send it back under warranty for it to have the work done.

Post #335542 20th Nov 2017 8:32 pm
jenks1950

DarrenDW
Well it is still only 3 weeks and about 750 miles since filters were changed but the car has not missed a beat in that time, so keeping everything crossed Confused

A couple of things I have been thinking about (and from searching on the forum some others are thinking this way anyway) The fuel and air filters are only scheduled for a change every two years. That means it only takes a garage to skimp on a service and then you could have 4 years without a change which is a long time. Since yours is a 2014 MY then this probably doesn't apply to you, but must be worth a check. In future I will be changing all filters annually.

I was interested you noted your problem might be temperature related. I seem to remember that this was a problem experienced by 2011 MY vehicles only. Do a search and I think you will find quite a lot of information. Alternatively it could be a faulty sensor or something in which case there should be a fault code logged

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic16502.htm...on+misfire

Steve

Post #335572 21st Nov 2017 10:13 am
dorsetfreelander

I had the hesitation problem on an early 2011 model and yes, it only occurred at warmer temperatures. Despite various trips to the dealer and contact with LR support LR never found a fix for the problem although mine was better after they "recalibrated the airflow". I got a LR Assist guy to do it at one point (whilst visiting for some other problem) and it took about 5 minutes with his computer linked up. I believe that it only occurs if you have a certain level of software/ECU combination. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #335581 21st Nov 2017 11:05 am
richard93vogue

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Sumatra Black

Stuttering and stalling have come and gone on my 2007 petrol over a few years. Each time it has been when fuel is low and or just fueled up. Happened to me just the other week, gauge said 1/4 tank and the freeway went into a steep downhill run (trucks in low gear type thing...) and it went fine for a few minutes, slowly behind a truck, then it stalled still saying 1/4 tank, but must have been too steep and uncovered the fuel pick up. A tow to the next town (2 minutes away...how embarrassing) and filled up, back on the road again. Other times it has stuttered on the flat even stalled but fired back up and kept going and I put it down to inconsistent fuel quality.

Post #339584 16th Jan 2018 7:58 am
iaint

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

I've had a problem since I bought my FL2 and it seems very similar to a lot of posts on this thread. I get intermittent hesitation between 1800-2000rpm only during warm weather (car can be completely cold). No issues at all during the winter or cold spells. I've been monitoring it for three years, but it's not bothered me enough to take it to the dealer. I have however had issues with exhaust gas temp sensors and asked the auto-electrician to check for other codes which might be related to the hesitation. Unfortunately he found nothing.

Can anyone summarise this thread and advise if a fix is available for these symptoms? I'm going to be selling it soon, so would rather give a new buyer some assurance that it's been dealt with if I can.

Post #352846 6th Jul 2018 3:30 pm
dorsetfreelander

The summary is simple, LR don't know how to fix it but the best theory in town at the moment involves the throttle pedal. see
http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic16502-150.html 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #352847 6th Jul 2018 3:40 pm
iaint

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

Thanks for the update. I'll take a look.

Post #352849 6th Jul 2018 4:37 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 18 of 25 <123 ... 171819 ... 232425>