Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > My Second FL2/LR2 -- a 2015 in Aintree Green!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
michaelryan55

United States 2015 LR2 2.0T SE Auto Aintree Green
My Second FL2/LR2 -- a 2015 in Aintree Green!

Hi all,

Today I collected my second LR2 (and fourth LR product overall... also counting an older Range Rover and a 2013 Evoque). It's a 2015, so it's certainly one of the first of it's sort in the good ole USA. Built 30 July and just arrived and Land Rover Chicago yesterday... so, of course, I had to make time out of my schedule to go pick it up! ...who am I kidding, I was actually already off of work today, just happened to be perfect timing that the LR2 arrived in time to pick up during this little mini-vacation.

For MY15 they have simplified packages and equipment to assist with build-out of the model, I'm sure. Here in the USA we can pick from a "base," HSE or HSE Lux, although our base model comes with a fair bit more equipment than it does in any other country (save Canada, where I think cold weather package is standard now -- don't quote me on it, though).

Exterior: Aintree Green Metallic
Interior: Almond leather
Carpet: Nutmeg
Wood trim: Dark Chestnut

Powertrain combo is the North America market standard 2.0 petrol EcoBoost with 6-speed automatic. I must say, I think the operation of the 2.0 in the LR2 is much quieter than I remember in the Evoque. And, even with two fewer cylinders it is so much smoother than the 3.2 petrol of yore that I had in the prior LR2 and a Volvo XC70 before that.

As for the optional packages, it has everything that can be fitted to the US-spec "base" model:

Hard disc satellite navigation with voice control]
    Climate comfort pack (heated seats, steering wheel, washer jets, heated windshield
    HD Radio and SDARS receiver (pricey at $750 but this has been a 'must have' for me since it launched in '01.
    Protection package (loadspace net, rubber floor and cargo mats -- kind of a waste but supposedly they are required on all 2015 cars destined for USA
    Wheel locks (again, nothing I'd normally fit but required for a 2015 order it seems)

Total of $42,558

With LR2s in short supply, best I could swing was a $2,000 discount... the service at Land Rover Chicago was phenomenal, as it was with my Evoque purchase. Everything from valeting your other car as you arrive to getting you out of there quickly. For any of you in the USA, they also offer Jaguar and Volvo. Although their location isn't super friendly to those of us who prefer suburbia to city life, they are right off of I-94.

Here are some pics!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #231654 15th Aug 2014 2:37 am
Badger1970

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

Great colour combo there - personally, I think that Aintree Green looks better than the Baltic Blue that I chose.

Interestingly, we cannot spec Almond/Nutmeg over here anymore - it has to be Ivory/Ebony, which means that the door cards are now black. For me, that makes the interior too dark, so I guess the USA has snapped up the remaining Almond interiors?

Enjoy your ride Thumbs Up Foraging near Gaydon....
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
MY13 HSE Lux SD4, Baltic Blue - current, 30,000> miles without fault
MY12 HSE 2.2 SD4, Sumatra Black - gone after 10 months/43,000 fault-free miles

Post #231658 15th Aug 2014 6:35 am
MidlandRover

England 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Absolutely stunning Thumbs Up , enjoy. FL2 SD4 Metropolis Auto Santorini Black / ivory completely stock.

It's true that light travels faster than sound, some people look quite intelligent until you hear them speak.

Stop global winging.

Post #231668 15th Aug 2014 10:06 am
Graham t

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

Nice colour- enjoy! (Petrol engined FL, who knew?!) From a time when dinosaurs weren't just confined to zoos!

Post #231670 15th Aug 2014 10:51 am
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

nice Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

but the steering wheel is on wrong side Laughing 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #231671 15th Aug 2014 10:55 am
Pedro

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

Looks fantastic ! FL2 HSE Auto Galway Green
Evoque SD4 Auto Blue.
FL1 HSE TD4 Manual Black - Gone.
RR Classic V8 EFI - Gone

Post #231700 15th Aug 2014 6:49 pm
ad210358

England 

simont wrote:
nice Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

but the steering wheel is on wrong side Laughing

It has to be their, it's a bu」」er to reach the pedals else Whistle

Post #231709 15th Aug 2014 8:01 pm
Tradewind 35

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Proper job Michael. Happy rough with the smooth.
Robin

Post #231718 15th Aug 2014 9:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
michaelryan55

Badger1970 wrote:
Great colour combo there - personally, I think that Aintree Green looks better than the Baltic Blue that I chose.

Interestingly, we cannot spec Almond/Nutmeg over here anymore - it has to be Ivory/Ebony, which means that the door cards are now black. For me, that makes the interior too dark, so I guess the USA has snapped up the remaining Almond interiors?

Enjoy your ride Thumbs Up

Yes, it does appear that the US market is the last with the almond/nutmeg combo... Canada can still get almond but with ebony trim.

There's nothing wrong with Baltic Blue... I think both are great choices. My 2012 FL2 was Baltic Blue with Almond/Nutmeg. Unfortunately I only held that one for a year or so before I got an Evoque. The Evoque is a phenomenal "looker" and the driving dynamics are awesome if a car-like ride is what you are after, but I prefer the command seating position of the Freelander and Discovery families, even if the Evoque kills them in available technology and all that... at least it'll be changing when the Discovery Sport comes out. I don't think I will be one of the first in line to get a Disco Sport, but it should at least be a compelling vehicle.

I'm worried that pricing will climb at par or above the Evoque though, so it might not be that far off from a full-on Discovery or a Range Rover Sport, since a high-end Evoque overlaps a Discovery in the USA price-wise... and a RRS is only a little further up (mind you, in base form though).

Post #231982 18th Aug 2014 12:38 am
michaelryan55

Graham t wrote:
Nice colour- enjoy! (Petrol engined FL, who knew?!)

The Canada/Mexico/US Market gets only a petrol variant to choose from! I'm unique among North American customers in that I enjoy passenger car diesels (have had two Grand Cherokee Diesels over the years), but the NAFTA emissions requirements are a pain... even the smallest VW diesels on offer here make use of DEF and SCR that isn't yet needed in every market. Makes the diesel option needlessly expensive on the vehicles that offer it.

Post #231983 18th Aug 2014 12:40 am
michaelryan55

I figured since I'm on the other side of the pond I would introduce you to our family's other car... a 2015 Chrysler 200. As far as I have looked, this model is not key to Fiat-Chrysler Automobiles's global strategy, so I guess I'll give you all a peek.

Underneath it is on Fiat's D-Evo platform, itself a variant of the platform underpinning the Alfa Romeo Giulietta, Dodge Dart, and Jeep Cherokee.

Engines on offer are a 2.0 liter petrol four-cylinder from Chrysler, tuned by Fiat... or a 100% Chrysler affair 3.6 liter V6 that mine has. All normally aspirated at this time. It's the first "car" with the ZF 9-speed transmission, and only the third mass market car after the Evoque and the Jeep Cherokee.

It's a quite large car, and I know that American cars get a pretty bad wrap for build quality and all that -- but it is great. As far as soft-touch materials, and noise while moving at speed, it easily fights above it's weight class. Not to say bad things about the FL2 as I've had two of them, but the interior quality in this mass market car is head and shoulders above the FL2 -- or, if you want to compare it to a more recently launched product, even the Jaguar XF.

As someone who stayed almost 100% Saab loyal until the brand started it's fast disintegration in the last decade, this 2015 Chrysler 200 is almost like an homage to Saab. Yes, it's a much more mainstream car in the North American market, but it is just a bit different versus its competition and, as such, it stands out from the pack a fair bit. Most are front-wheel drive affairs, but all-wheel drive is available provided you go with the V6. All told, prices top out around US$37,000/CDN$39,000/MX$460,000 if you tick every box. This is actually one of the few vehicles that I can remember that is cheaper after exchange in Mexico than the US or Canada.

Of course, in the US and Canada the 200 serves the role of mid-size family hauler... in Mexico it is a much more aspirational car, when you figure Chrysler's best selling vehicle in Mexico is a rebadged Hyundai i10.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Here's some pictures...

Post #231985 18th Aug 2014 12:59 am
Tradewind 35

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

As soon as I saw the first photo I thought - that looks like a Saab. Used to like the old Saab 99 very much - like Volvo they paid attention to occupant safety long before other manufacturers or regulators. The 99 had lots of quirky but often good design features - self repairing bumpers, great seats, proper rust proofing. Great pity that the company went belly up after a poor GM ownership - Volvo were only saved by the deeper pockets of Ford.
It is iindeed a bit of an indictment to say that the interior quality of the 2015 LR2 does not stand up in comparison to the Chrysler. Hope both turn out to be great buys anyway.

Post #232110 19th Aug 2014 10:47 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
michaelryan55

Yes -- the story for Saab was quite a sad one. It's a brand that did a lot of stuff right, but crazy management and the ill-fated tie up with General Motors seemed to do them in. The Top Gear retrospective to Saab from a few years back was a fairly accurate account of what happened.

I know this probably isn't the right forum to say that a 2015 Fiat/Chrysler; has better interior quality than a LR product, but I don't think it's that much of an indictment. Most of the touch-points in the FL2 interior are nearing a decade old... yes, there were great improvements in model year 2013 but at the core a lot of the car is just older. To put that in comparison, the Chrysler 200 has had three redesigns since then: in 2007, 2011 and 2015. So the FL2 is riding off into the sunset with the 2015 Fiat/Chrysler products are fresh designs.

I still like the FL2 more Very Happy . After all, I wouldn't have owned 2 FL2s if I disliked it!

Post #232124 19th Aug 2014 1:40 pm
MidlandRover

England 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

I do like the look of the Chrysler, also liked the Intrepid years ago. FL2 SD4 Metropolis Auto Santorini Black / ivory completely stock.

It's true that light travels faster than sound, some people look quite intelligent until you hear them speak.

Stop global winging.

Post #232136 19th Aug 2014 5:03 pm
djwhyte

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame
Re: My Second FL2/LR2 -- a 2015 in Aintree Green!

michaelryan55 wrote:

Click image to enlarge

What the??? A sticky drink in the brand new car?

I still very tightly enforce a no sticky drink or food policy in my car. The only exceptions are our morning coffee and when my better half is hangry (hungry-angry)! At that point, and for my own safety, I just let her do what she pleases. Razz

I also had a no farting policy, but I struggled to enforce that one since I wouldn't follow the rule myself Very Happy 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #232184 20th Aug 2014 3:31 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>