Home > United Kingdom > towing and the law
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
r055

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
towing and the law

any towing experts here to clarify my thinking is correct? Question
i passed my test after jan 1997 which means I have restrictions on what i can tow.

we're about to part with money to buy an ifor williams horse trailer which has an unladen weight of 1000kg.
The approx. weight of the FL2 is 1700kg?
combined, that is obviously 2700kg

Does that mean i can tow it home (empty) from the sellers legally?
i am going to take my trailer test before the horse goes anywhere near it.

TIA

Ross

ps. details below on law...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Drive...G_10013073

direct.gov.uk wrote:

Category B: Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM and with up to eight passenger seats
Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.

For example:

a vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.25 tonnes could be driven by the holder of a category B entitlement. This is because the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes and also the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle
Whereas

the same vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes when coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.5 tonnes would fall within category B+E. This is because although the combined weight of the vehicle and trailer is within the 3.5 tonnes MAM limit, the MAM of the trailer is more than the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle
Vehicle manufacturers normally recommend a maximum weight of trailer appropriate to their vehicle. Details can usually be found in the vehicle's handbook or obtained from car dealerships. The size of the trailer recommended for an average family car with an unladen weight of around 1 tonne would be well within the new category B threshold.
 07 Fl2 GS
88 Galv chassis Landy 110 double cab

Post #20417 19th May 2008 11:11 am
muddywheels

England 

Quote:
Category B: Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM and with up to eight passenger seats

Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.

I am not an expert but I read this as you can tow a trailer up to 1700kg MAM with a FL2 of 1700kg unladen weight = 3.4 tonnes.

Post #20419 19th May 2008 12:00 pm
Matei

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Maybe tis helps
http://www.ifor-williams-trailers.co.uk/brochures/ltt.pdf

As the FL2 has a MAM of 2505 Kg it would seem that the trailer would have to be under 750 MAM.
Might be wrong
Edit
Also saw there that you could tow up to 3500 kg trailers "if accompanied by a driver who has B+E" ? FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #20421 19th May 2008 1:05 pm
muddywheels

England 

Matei wrote:
Maybe tis helps
http://www.ifor-williams-trailers.co.uk/brochures/ltt.pdf

As the FL2 has a MAM of 2505 Kg it would seem that the trailer would have to be under 750 MAM.
Might be wrong
Edit
Also saw there that you could tow up to 3500 kg trailers "if accompanied by a driver who has B+E" ?

Having read the guide again total MAM for vehicle and trailer must not exceed 3.5 Tonnes - therefore max up to 995 Kg MAM trailer - so you would be breaking the law even if trailer empty unless you have a B+E passenger.

To be safe I would ring DVLA and check the regulations Thumbs Up

Post #20424 19th May 2008 1:50 pm
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

I'm waiting for CG to say its against the law to tow any caravan......

Post #20427 19th May 2008 2:10 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

no need you said it for me At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #20434 19th May 2008 3:12 pm
rmbillington

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Just had a look at the DVLA site, out of interest. How confusing? Confused Wish I hadn't bothered.

How does anyone know what they can and can't tow.

By the looks of things, if you pass your test after Jan 97 (did mine end of 96, so lucky I guess) then you couldn't tow a large trailer with a disco, without passing another test. What a pain in the Censored !

Sounds like a con to me, more money from more driving tests and lessons. Do we really think that this makes our roads safer, which is the point of driving license restrictions isn't it?

Rant over, sorry Very Happy

Rich

Post #20449 19th May 2008 6:05 pm
r055

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

rmbillington wrote:
Just had a look at the DVLA site, out of interest. How confusing? Confused Wish I hadn't bothered.

How does anyone know what they can and can't tow.

tell me about it... Rolling Eyes

what if i take the spare wheel off the Trailer to save some weight? Rolling Eyes
i just want to bring it home then i'll look into a test. 07 Fl2 GS
88 Galv chassis Landy 110 double cab

Post #20455 19th May 2008 7:00 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

muddywheels wrote:

Having read the guide again total MAM for vehicle and trailer must not exceed 3.5 Tonnes - therefore max up to 995 Kg MAM trailer - so you would be breaking the law even if trailer empty unless you have a B+E passenger.

To be safe I would ring DVLA and check the regulations Thumbs Up

I tend to agree with this, MAM is Max Allowable Mass, not the actual mass, so you could be solo in your FL2 at just over kerb weight lets say thats is around 1800kgs, but for the sake of the calculation the weight still has to be the max permissible which is 2505kg, doesn't leave enough in the 3500 for the trailer.

As for licences and course etc, well having a professional interest in driver training then I'd say there is some benefit to be had. The change in driving dynamics when you load a vehicle up to its max and the place a maxed out trailer behind it too is something that does take some people by surprise, and thats before we mention reversing with a trailer. Not that that is meant to discredit anyone here, but some folks do need help with these matters ...

Post #20469 20th May 2008 3:14 am
jules1967

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

I can't remember the exact figures but I do know that ifor williams trailers are quite heavy. We have a 'Cherval Liberte' which is a lot lighter and with a 16 hand horse on board we aren't that far off the max weight limit of the FL2.
I seem to remember working out that if we'd had bought an ifor we'd have had to get a disco or another Jeep as we'd have been overweight for an fl2. 07 Freelander 2 TD4SE Tambora Flame, side steps, privacy glass, mud flaps, boot liner and a tow bar. Ok it's the Wifes but she lets me drive it occasionally - if I've been good!

Post #20471 20th May 2008 10:51 am
Matei

jules1967 wrote:
I can't remember the exact figures but I do know that ifor williams trailers are quite heavy. We have a 'Cherval Liberte' which is a lot lighter and with a 16 hand horse on board we aren't that far off the max weight limit of the FL2.
I seem to remember working out that if we'd had bought an ifor we'd have had to get a disco or another Jeep as we'd have been overweight for an fl2.

Now now disco or another Jeep . Disco and Jeep in the same sentence Question Embarassed FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #20477 20th May 2008 12:20 pm
jules1967

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

Matei wrote:

Now now disco or another Jeep . Disco and Jeep in the same sentence Question Embarassed

Ah I don't know. CRV and FL2 or X5 and Disco in the same sentence would be seriously our of order I'll grant you and the Jeep is a bit of a tractor compared to the fl2 but it's still on the right side of 4x4 respectablility with its low range, locking diffs and other gizmos. And to be fair, it has a much better towing limit Very Happy 07 Freelander 2 TD4SE Tambora Flame, side steps, privacy glass, mud flaps, boot liner and a tow bar. Ok it's the Wifes but she lets me drive it occasionally - if I've been good!

Post #20490 20th May 2008 3:24 pm
Matei

jules1967 wrote:
Matei wrote:

Now now disco or another Jeep . Disco and Jeep in the same sentence Question Embarassed

Ah I don't know. CRV and FL2 or X5 and Disco in the same sentence would be seriously our of order I'll grant you and the Jeep is a bit of a tractor compared to the fl2 but it's still on the right side of 4x4 respectablility with its low range, locking diffs and other gizmos. And to be fair, it has a much better towing limit Very Happy

Point taken Thumbs Up
Just take out the X5 &NR=1 FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #20493 20th May 2008 3:41 pm
Martin
Site Admin & Owner

United Kingdom 

http://www.l-busters.co.uk/page5.html

Post #20532 20th May 2008 10:01 pm
zarapip

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

If it looks and is legal,ie lights tyres,mud gaurds,reflectors etc and you drive sensibly and safe, the law is unlikly to stop you as they do not want the agro of taking your outfit to a weigh bridge to have all the wieghts checked FREELANDER 2 2010 HSE LARGO GREY ALMOND LEATHER

Post #117260 17th Oct 2011 10:42 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>