« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Tips & Tricks > Off-roading
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Matei

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue
Off-roading

There are comments about off-roading all over the forum so maybe it would be a good ideea to ask the more experienced off-roading members to post here some of their tips and tricks that are not covered in the small Off-Roading guide from LR. FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #20403 19th May 2008 8:01 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

tip one. remove caravans or any other unnecessary weight At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #20406 19th May 2008 8:09 am
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

Also re-spray vehicle silver so scratches etc show less

Post #20407 19th May 2008 8:26 am
CY

Scotland 

Take off your side steps if you can, you'll only scrape or damage them.

Know your vehicle's limits and if you don't know if the vehicle will make it then don't try it. Always walk a route before you drive it if it looks difficult.

Never go off-road on your own - have a group of vehicles with you.

"As fast as necessary, as slow as possible."

Keep your thumbs outside the steering wheel over bumpy terrain.

Er... "CY from DISCO3"

Discovery 3 TDV6 SE

Post #20412 19th May 2008 8:45 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

If you have a HST or FR2 with extra plastic bits stuck on to make it look like a HST - You own a Town SUV so dont bother even thinking off-road. Laughing
ps - clear indicators are allowed Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #20413 19th May 2008 9:23 am
mikello

Canada 2007 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Nazca Sand

CY wrote:

Know your vehicle's limits and if you don't know if the vehicle will make it then don't try it. Always walk a route before you drive it if it looks difficult.

If you exercise rule number one, then the second rule is not really mandatory. Well, with one exception - if you go some place where cell phones are not working, you better have at least two vehicles Smile

Post #20438 19th May 2008 3:39 pm
rmbillington

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

mikello wrote:
CY wrote:

If you exercise rule number one, then the second rule is not really mandatory. Well, with one exception - if you go some place where cell phones are not working, you better have at least two vehicles Smile

Even if you follow rule number one, it still isn't wise to go alone, especially as you can't fit self recovery things like winches to FL2s (unless someone can tell me differently). Look what happens on a well used route, that someone said you could pass alone in a Freelander Offroading mishap

One bit of advice I'm really glad I followed was to make sure you always take a shovel/spade and a good, proper tow rope/strop with a means of attaching it to your car. Or was that 2 bits of advise? I'm glad we took both, or we would never have gotten my brothers car out.

Rich

Post #20446 19th May 2008 5:50 pm
Matei

rmbillington wrote:
mikello wrote:
CY wrote:

Even if you follow rule number one, it still isn't wise to go alone, especially as you can't fit self recovery things like winches to FL2s (unless someone can tell me differently). Look what happens on a well used route, that someone said you could pass alone in a Freelander Offroading mishap

One bit of advice I'm really glad I followed was to make sure you always take a shovel/spade and a good, proper tow rope/strop with a means of attaching it to your car. Or was that 2 bits of advise? I'm glad we took both, or we would never have gotten my brothers car out.

Rich

Now these are some nice off-roading photos Thumbs Up
Really would not like to this on my own. A BIG Brother is allways usefull Exclamation Exclamation FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #20450 19th May 2008 6:09 pm
rmbillington

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Matei wrote:

Now these are some nice off-roading photos Thumbs Up
Really would not like to this on my own. A BIG Brother is allways usefull Exclamation Exclamation

What we didn't get a photo of, was me stepping of the bank, onto what I thought was solid ground, and going knee deep in mud, I couldn't get out for lauging.[/quote]

Post #20451 19th May 2008 6:12 pm
Matei

What color is yur interior as mine is alpaca and will get dirty even if I drive barefoot? FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #20453 19th May 2008 6:22 pm
mikello

Matei wrote:
What color is yur interior as mine is alpaca and will get dirty even if I drive barefoot?

I have the same interior color. I just use three disposable car seat covers whenever I go offroad - two to cover the seat and one to cover the floor. 95% of dirt stay on the covers, the rest can be easily vacuumed. After the ride I just trash them. It is quite cheap and effective.

Post #20465 20th May 2008 12:49 am
mikello

rmbillington wrote:
Look what happens on a well used route, that someone said you could pass alone in a Freelander Offroading mishap

That's one badly looking mud puddle. I had to turn around and go a different way once due to a similar puddle although it was only about 100 meters from a paved road. I personally prefer not to go to mud unless I can walk through it (literally) and I see that it is not too soft, not too deep and that it has firm bottom.

But if you are committed to go through such obstacles, then you better not to wheel alone for sure.

Mikhail

Post #20466 20th May 2008 1:05 am
mikello

rmbillington wrote:

Rich

I took a few pieces of advice myself and whenever I go offroad, I carry an axe (used it several times), shovel (used it once), good knife (use it all the time), and a bunch of stuff I have not used so far and hopefully will never have to use - tow strap, anchor, hand winch, hand saw, extra clothes, first aid kit, tire repair kit, matches, etc.

One thing I still do not have is an air jack. It is quite expensive but it might be very useful in a situation when you can not use a normal jack - in a mud puddle, for instance.

Mikhail

Post #20467 20th May 2008 1:23 am
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Be very cautious around water, you're better off not being first into the water then you can gauge depth, current flow etc on other vehicles. As with other obstacles get out and look and use something to gauge the depth or this might happen to you ...

not good when you remember the air intake is directly behind the left hand headlamp ... this motor was towed backwards out of what very nearly turned out to be a watery grave. The engine did ingest water and was lucky to survive ... so around water be it a puddle or flowing make sure you know how deep it is ... this motor had 200 miles on the clock!

Post #20468 20th May 2008 2:46 am
Matei

I really did intend this topic to be very serious but just could no resist

http://www.kontraband.com/show/show.asp?ID=9034

Maybe off-roaders in hot climate might make use.

Edit:
Wish they would make dehydrated fuel Big Cry FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #20492 20th May 2008 3:36 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>