« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Basic questions from a new guy
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Purplemadboy

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red
Basic questions from a new guy

I have had my FL2 for a week now , messing about with this and that , love the car . My questions are regarding the car being an automatic , I have driven an automatic a few times in Canada & America , these automatics are totally different to the FL2 ie nobody uses the handbrake .
My questions are , if I drive in comand Censored on the motorway and I forget to put it back into auto will the car stall or be damaged ?
My second question is , is it ok to be in auto and stop on a hill at lights and put the handbrake and leave the car in "D" ?
I know these are pretty basic , but as I say I'm a nooby to this type of automatic. Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #234355 9th Sep 2014 9:33 pm
taztastic

England 

If you are driving in command and come to a stop the box will drop down to first gear, it will not stall, also if you accelerate and forget to change gear it will do so at the red line, this is brutal though.

I always use the EPB (parking brake) and leave it in D, if it's a long wait I will select N, never had a problem doing so.

The box is clever and will look after itself to a large degree, the LR models with the rotary knob selector are a little more clever, if you have command selected but don't use it the box will automatically drop back into sport mode, I don't think the FL will do this? Might give it a whirl tomorrow just to see. Thumbs Up

Post #234356 9th Sep 2014 9:45 pm
Purplemadboy

Thanks for the info taz Thumbs Up I thought that was the case with the handbrake but the command thing was a different matter . Shocked Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #234358 9th Sep 2014 9:55 pm
taztastic

England 

Don't be afraid to try things out, use the terrain response too and see how it affects the car, GGS mode makes it somewhat lethargic but very smooth, the Sand mode makes it like a child on blue smarties Laughing

Loads of info on here about the terrain response system and how it works, the first time it snowed I went out, found a quiet hill and played with all the settings, it's an impressive car, get the most out of it.

Post #234359 9th Sep 2014 10:00 pm
ad210358

England 

I also if I'm stationary for any length of time will select N, no sense on pumping the oil round the box needlessly.

Post #234360 9th Sep 2014 10:03 pm
leesbay

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

I only use the handbrake when on a hill, all other times its in D when moving or N when waiting for lights to change or R if im reversing Very Happy
keeping it in D with footbrake at the lights just puts unnecessary strain on the box and pump if waiting for periods of 30 seconds or more - FL2 3.2 i6 - There is no Replacement for Displacement

If my wife ever sells my stuff for what I told her I paid for it, there will be some bargains out there!

Post #234362 9th Sep 2014 10:11 pm
Purplemadboy

Good info guys , thought of another question/scenario , when I was reversing up to my caravan after getting the tow bar fitted to checkout the electrics . I got to about 6 inches from the tow bar , I didn't feel confident to press the accelerator enough to ease back that few inches . Would using one of the other settings make that manoeuvre easier ? Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #234363 9th Sep 2014 10:32 pm
ad210358

England 

Try selecting Snow Mode, it takes the edge off the throttle response.

Post #234367 9th Sep 2014 11:18 pm
leesbay

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

I just select reverse gear without touching the gas it will crawl slowly. getting within 6" I usually just pull the van onto the towball by hand or use my motor mover if on an incline.
If you don't have a motor mover maybe get a person to guide you on to the towbar rather than denting the bumper - FL2 3.2 i6 - There is no Replacement for Displacement

If my wife ever sells my stuff for what I told her I paid for it, there will be some bargains out there!

Post #234369 9th Sep 2014 11:27 pm
Purplemadboy

My van is in storage in a huge yard , we are on a slight angled slope on hardcore .if the van hasn't moved for a wee while it kind sinks thus very difficult to pull out by hand . I was hopping that with the camera I wouldn't need use the mover .
I will try the snow option on Saturday as we are going away for a week .
Really looking forward to see hoe the beastie tows Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #234380 10th Sep 2014 7:52 am
ad210358

England 

I can tell you now how it will tow, Brilliantly comes to mind Thumbs Up

Post #234392 10th Sep 2014 9:54 am
Winslet

United Kingdom 

This is my first auto and I was a scared of doing something silly first of all.

I tend to put in N once I have come to a halt (in the same way I do when driving a manual to save the clutch) and put the handbrake on. I love the way it auto-releases BTW. This also spares me blinding the driver behind. The LED brake lights are very bright!

In Command Shift mode I find it also changes down when you slow down if you don't change down yourself.

Never tried the terrain modes (last FL was a 'S' trim and didn't have them). Mild winter prevented that last year. Tempted to try sand mode for a quick getaway though! 2016 BMW X3 30d SE in red
MY2013 SD4 XS Firenze Red, 19" 10 spoke contrast paint wheels, Signature Strips, Grand Black Lacquer trim, Cold Climate Pack - gone!
2007 TD4 S Stornoway Grey - gone!

Post #234431 10th Sep 2014 9:53 pm
Aussie Battler

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Winslet I have a 09 tds and unless I am going off road the trans stays in the auto mode and works exactly the same as any auto ,when off road I use the comand shift as generally the conditions are dry, rough, rocky,rutted and steep .the default position for the comand shift is 2nd so 1st needs to be selected where required .If driving on the highway using comand shift the trans will change if you over rev or labour the engine ,when you apply the brake to stop the transmission selects 2nd . regardles of what mode you drive in the transmission is an automatic and there is no need to put it in neutral when stopped in trafic ,the toque converter stops driving at idle. I have never had a problem with trans overheating driving like this with daytime temps between 30 and 40 c every day .overheating may occure on long steep rough climbs when using the low gears for long periods .
I also have a dealer fitted reversing camera which is beside the number plate light so that when backing on to my tandem trailer I cannot see the ball as well as the image being off centre made hitching up a bit difficult . to over come this I placed the trailer on the ball and I can see the top of the trailer hitch I then got the Missus to put a piece of electrical tape on the bumper at the correct position to aim for when backing up .I also lower the trailer hitch so that the ball bumps the hitch, this works far better than the Missus waving me back until I hit the bumper then giving me the stop signal . Laughing
Doug

Post #234477 11th Sep 2014 2:16 pm
ad210358

England 

Glad you said about Command Shift, default second gear and having to pull the stick to select 1st, mine did that and I was always told it shouldn't.

Post #234486 11th Sep 2014 6:03 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1