« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > If outside temp reaches 28°C the problem starts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
The Road Toad

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Narvik Black
If outside temp reaches 28°C the problem starts

Once the outside temperature reaches 28°C or over I hear a bleep and the dials on the display all go to zero , system check in progress, then everything comes up again. This keeps repeating itself until it stops resetting and the display and dials are at zero but car drives normally. Unfortunately at this point I have no indicators or lights which is not good especially with a caravan on the back on a French country road.
No one seems to be able to come up with a cure because in this country it is difficult to replicate the problem.
Any ideas? Tattoos - Why would you choose to look like the wall of a public toilet?

Post #227566 19th Jun 2014 7:17 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Sounds not entirely dissimilar to this:
http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic19970.html

What kind of fault codes are you getting?

Post #227569 19th Jun 2014 7:40 pm
alex_pescaru

Re: If outside temp reaches 28°C the problem starts

The Road Toad wrote:
No one seems to be able to come up with a cure because in this country it is difficult to replicate the problem. Any ideas?

You can simulate the outside temperature by warming up the underside of the left wing mirror, where the exterior temperature sensor is located. That small bump is the sensor.

If you reach 28 and the problem appears, then it may be software related, because the rest of the car (the hardware) is at lower temperature.
If you reach 28 and the problem do not appear, then it may be hardware related, because it seems it really needs to be 28 in order for the hardware to warm up and manifests itself.

Post #227577 19th Jun 2014 9:21 pm
The Road Toad

Thanks for that information - I initially thought that he 'bubble' was part of the hinge for the mirrors but then realised that it is not there on the offside (right hand) mirror.

The CANBUS connectors that are in the passenger footwell - one can be easily removed and reseated but the other 2 larger ones appear to have a lever arrangement to remove and seat them - can this be done yourself or is there a special tool? Tattoos - Why would you choose to look like the wall of a public toilet?

Post #227621 20th Jun 2014 8:35 pm
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black

I know this probably won't help..... I've just had a problem with my fuel gauge and the garage tried a software update. It didn't work but the software update was for the instrument cluster. One of the glitches it fixes is steering column locked error messages. Have you had any error message appear on the dashboard?

The post before seems a good idea about warming up the sensor, have you got an hair dryer you could use? Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.
Gone MY2010 Freelander 2 Manual TD4.e S, Alaska White.

Post #227622 20th Jun 2014 8:53 pm
The Road Toad

Stevie5tapes
Thank you for your input.
When the beep sounds and everything goes off on the dash it just says System Check in Progress just the same as when you first start the engine and then everything comes back up as normal - until the next time which, when it starts is every 15 seconds or so.
I am going to try to simulate 28ºC + with the a hairdryer tomorrow.
I still wonder if it is one of the CANBUS connectors in the passenger footwell but not sure how to disconnect and re seat them. Tattoos - Why would you choose to look like the wall of a public toilet?

Post #227631 20th Jun 2014 10:20 pm
The Road Toad

alex_pescaru
Have tried the hair dryer on the exterior temperature sensor and after a long wait the dash was showing 31°C but everything was normal on the dash.
Interestingly though when I switched the ignition on and then restarted the temperature display was showing 51°C!
I decided to go for a run and after 4 miles the reading came down to 25°C which is about what it is today here in the UK. Tattoos - Why would you choose to look like the wall of a public toilet?

Post #227644 21st Jun 2014 12:16 pm
The Road Toad

Update
Last week I fitted a second battery earth lead to the starter motor as suggested elsewhere on the forum.
Today the outside temp reached 31°C so off I went for two drives and there were no errors.
I am not totally convinced yet as I did not have the air con on as I think there may be a problem with the air con compressor which is getting checked next week - loud fan like noise from drivers(right hand) foot well area which stops if I switch off air con.
Not sure if it is the compressor or a fan. Tattoos - Why would you choose to look like the wall of a public toilet?

Post #229734 24th Jul 2014 5:16 pm
The Road Toad

Another hot day yesterday, 28ºC, and a long drive down the M40 and back again to collect the grand children and no problems! Tattoos - Why would you choose to look like the wall of a public toilet?

Post #229876 26th Jul 2014 7:14 am
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

I'm surprised this hasn't been a big issue out here in Australia. My temp gauge regularly reads mid 40's in summer.

Post #229957 27th Jul 2014 1:07 pm
The Road Toad

Agreed, it is a strange one and the only other person with this problem is in Canada and has listed hers under the Maintenance & Mods section.
I am hoping that the addition of a second battery earth lead may have cured it but won't know until I can test it with the air con running. Tattoos - Why would you choose to look like the wall of a public toilet?

Post #229995 27th Jul 2014 4:56 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1