« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Replacing halogen headlight with bi-xenon original headlight
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Udash

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver
Replacing halogen headlight with bi-xenon original headlight

I have been looking at the wiring diagrams of the halogen and Xenon and comparing them because both look very similar. When I look carefully it turned out to be basically same except the auto levelling part of the xenon light, so bought a pair of Xenon headlights from ebay for £340.
Once I got them I compared the physical connector and again found that its same so after powering each line separately with the car, finally I connected the xenon unit to the wiring plug.
First I turned the head lights on using the keyfob and xenons came ok. Then I turned the ignition on and then checked the high and low beam, both worked on the (bi)xenon and also headlight levelling using the manual control worked fine. At this point I thought this can’t be this easy. Very Happy When I started the engine and few seconds later xenons started flickering. Big Cry
So far I managed to workout few points.
1. If I feed the power directly to the xenons from the battery then no problem even when the engine running.
2. I used a parallel 20W bulb with the xenon to see if the problem is due to xenon being 35w compared to 55w but didn’t work.
3. When fed via the low beam wiring I have seen higher voltage then when I seen on the battery so looks like it’s a regulation or overvoltage issue.
4. Low beam wiring on both xenon and halogen is activated via same transistor (BTS 443)in the main junction box so looks like software playing a part.

I am still at the very early stages of finding a solution to this and will keep on working as time permits. Has anyone done xenon conversions and had issues with flicking and any solutions?

Also could someone with factory fitted xenon check these please,
1. Do they starts very blue (like 6000k xenon first )and then within few seconds turn white.
2. Does the xenons emit a low humming sound? Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto
Zermatt Silver
Side Steps & Mud flaps

Post #46876 25th Aug 2009 8:59 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I have read that xenon need some sort of software switching on in the cars setup

basically does the have xenons yes/no Thumbs Up

Unfortunately I have a little wait till my new car with xenons Whistle Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #46879 25th Aug 2009 9:23 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

this flickering has been reported before, sadly no cure has ever been mentioned . Someone said it was to do with the bulb monitoring circuitry but who knows??? At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #46882 25th Aug 2009 10:14 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

npinks wrote:
I have read that xenon need some sort of software switching on in the cars setup

basically does the have xenons yes/no Thumbs Up

Unfortunately I have a little wait till my new car with xenons Whistle

Like the new signature NP Thumbs Up Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #46883 25th Aug 2009 10:31 pm
Bartosz

Poland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Sumatra Black

through a computer program that must service the car has headlights xeon and should be ok Mr. Green

As for the "hum" is minimal but how to determine how big? Rolling Eyes

and so the margin is not thinking about mounting sensors on auto leveling headlights? _________________________
2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S auto Sumatra black, 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, 6 CD Changer, wood effect fascia kit , spoiler , sport grille ,tungsten handles , bluetooth kit, clear side repeaters,front and rear lamp guards, bumper styling cover, roof rails - SOLD ! Sad

Post #46888 26th Aug 2009 4:31 am
Udash

Ballasts used in the xenon are Philips XLD 145, and that works between 9 to 16 volts, so I am planing to use the low beam wire to activate a relay (and a resistor to simulate a bulb) and then use power feed from the battery power the xenon via the relay. I can do all the modifications within the xenon light unit(dont have to do any changes to the wiring loon of the car) so whenever i want will be able to swap back to the halogen unit.
Only thing i dont know is how bigger the wattage of the resister needs to be to stop ECU to think that the low beam bulb has blown out and logging events to the error log. Hopefully dont have to waste 50w for each just to fool the system.Will let you know how this goes.

Bartosz, hum is very low, can't hear when engine is running and actually its quiter then the humming noise made by the engine before starting and after turing off.

When I bough the car I wanted a adaptive one but could not find any from the new staock so option was waiting for 6 weeks or getting a one without xenon day later so went for the second option. Maybe should have waited like npinks. Smile Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto
Zermatt Silver
Side Steps & Mud flaps

Post #46893 26th Aug 2009 8:30 am
alex_pescaru

You don't need to put any aditional resistor for blown bulb checking.
The current sensing / open circuit of the BTS443 is not used in this application (FL2 circuits).

As for your questions, yes on both: bluish first then white and a very low humming sound.

For the flickering issue, you know, when the bulbs are old, this (flickering) is one of the common symptoms.
If it's not the case, probably the balasts are leaking high frequency harmonics into their inputs - that higher voltage you've measured.
My oppinion is that the balasts (and their switching electronics) are influencing the BTS443 from CJB and the BTS443 is cutting the supply for reverse current protection.

Are you sure that the balasts/headlamp assemblies are reliable? Maybe they have some problems and the guy just wanted to get rid of them.
Find a friend with OEM xenon headlamps and make a test with his lamps on your car to see if the problem persists.

Post #46902 26th Aug 2009 4:16 pm
Bartosz

Poland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Sumatra Black

Udash wrote:

When I bough the car I wanted a adaptive one but could not find any from the new staock so option was waiting for 6 weeks or getting a one without xenon day later so went for the second option. Maybe should have waited like npinks. Smile

I order a car like this I can also present either with a manual transmission and the other would have to wait about 20 weeks Whistle
And I wanted to petrol, white, automatic, xenon, sunroof, tinted rear windows ... and not to wait for Big Cry

are days that I regret not having waited but still it gives me much joy Mr. Green _________________________
2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S auto Sumatra black, 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, 6 CD Changer, wood effect fascia kit , spoiler , sport grille ,tungsten handles , bluetooth kit, clear side repeaters,front and rear lamp guards, bumper styling cover, roof rails - SOLD ! Sad

Post #46909 26th Aug 2009 6:41 pm
Udash

Thanks for confirming that the BTS443 don’t actually sense the current and open circuit. I just finished off the wiring as i mentioned in my second post and everting works fine now. Drove for 30 mins and no problem. The units I bought are new ones, didn’t come in the original boxes but certainly haven’t been fitted before.

for testing on one side I used 12 relay and 6w resister to add bit more load on to the low beam circuit and on the other side I just connected the relay and both sides works without a problem so looks like I don’t need to use any resistors, low beam circuit only drives the relays.
Just waiting for some good automotive connectors to be delivered, once I have this I will be able to remove the units out just like a standard unit except for extra connector to unplug.

As for auto levelling I don’t have it but at least have the manual control. According to workshop manual even the automatic levelling is not dynamic and only provides 'static periodic adjustments'
I will take some photos of what i did inside the xenon and post later.
Thanks for all the comments and help.

alex_pescaru wrote:
You don't need to put any aditional resistor for blown bulb checking.
The current sensing / open circuit of the BTS443 is not used in this application (FL2 circuits).

As for your questions, yes on both: bluish first then white and a very low humming sound.

For the flickering issue, you know, when the bulbs are old, this (flickering) is one of the common symptoms.
If it's not the case, probably the balasts are leaking high frequency harmonics into their inputs - that higher voltage you've measured.
My oppinion is that the balasts (and their switching electronics) are influencing the BTS443 from CJB and the BTS443 is cutting the supply for reverse current protection.

Are you sure that the balasts/headlamp assemblies are reliable? Maybe they have some problems and the guy just wanted to get rid of them.
Find a friend with OEM xenon headlamps and make a test with his lamps on your car to see if the problem persists.
 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto
Zermatt Silver
Side Steps & Mud flaps

Post #46913 26th Aug 2009 8:23 pm
Stevea

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Udash,

Good to hear you got them working, congrats... although i have to admit i understood practically nothing of what you've had to do to get them working Very Happy

Look forward to seeing the pictures, as it's something I've been interested in adding for some time now (I regret not adding xenon's to the original spec of the car, but could not justify the additional cost at the time... Sad )

Stevea 2008 SE, HSE wheels, Black Premium Leather, Privacy Glass, Sports Kit, Side Steps, various LED upgrades and Clear side indicators.

Post #46932 27th Aug 2009 12:27 am
Udash

This is what you need to do,
You will need two relays, I got 12v 30AMP automotive ones from maplin
Two silicon diodes 1A 1N4007S, two inline fuse holders, two automotive single connectors and wires in two sizes, I got 17 amp and 3 amp but even 1 amp will do.

First open the cover of the xenon light unit and identify the red and black wires that goes to the xenon ballast. Cut the Red wire between the connector and the ferrite coil and on the black wire remove the insulation so that we can solder a wire.

Click image to enlarge

Solder thin wire to the red wire still attached to the connector, attach a spade connector to the other end of the thin wire after leaving around 25cm. Mark this as ‘R+’
Solder another thin wire to the black wire where the insulation is taken out, attach a spade connector to the other end of the thin wire after leaving around 25cm. Mark this as ‘R-’
Solder a thick wire to the remaining red wire which basically connects to the ballast and attach a spade connector after leaving around 25cm again. Mark this as ‘X’.
Click image to enlarge

Drill a hold just as below and inset a thick wire and connect a spade connector to the inside end of the wire, this need to be around 30cm long. Mark this as ‘B’

Spade connectors with markings,
Click image to enlarge

On the relay identify the two pins for the activation coil and then solder a diode as below. There’s no specific direction for the diode but you just need to note which pin is connected to the silver band on the diode. The purpose of the diode is the stop the induced high voltages from the relay coil from damaging the other components.
See the picture below. Its pin 85.
Click image to enlarge

This is the top view of the relay, connect the spade connectors to the relay,
R+ wire need to go to the pin connected to the diode silver band side 85.
R- goes to pin 86
B goes to pin 30
X goes to pin 87
Click image to enlarge

Place the relay in the space behind the main beam reflector (I used double sided tape to stick the relay), Connect the automotive connector (male side) to the outside end of the wire ‘B’ after leaving around 8cm. I used some silicon sealant to seal around the wire where the hole was drilled.
Click image to enlarge

Now you can close the cover of the light unit.
Click image to enlarge

Take thick wire starting from the battery positive terminal, take it around the fuse box and then over the left hand light, Just around where the light unit is, remove the insulation and then connect the one side of the inline fuse (I put a 5A fuse inside), connect the automotive connector female side to the other end of the wire. This is for the left hand light. Continue the thick wire over the left hand light unit and then above the radiator take it to the right hand side and then attach the other fuse holder and automotive connector for the right hand light. See the photo below, orange colour wire is the one that comes from the battery, black fuse holder and the new connector which has a yellow seal.
Click image to enlarge

Now connect the head lights as you would do, first connect the new connector, and then the original connector, connect the other end of the batter feed to the battery positive terminal and check the lights. All should work fine now, even when car started.

Advantage with this is that you can remove the xenon units and put the original halogen units within 10 mins and then tuck the battery feed wire under the fuse box and no one can tell anything. I will do the same when I am taking the car for service as not to confuse the dealer’s technicians. Smile

Let me know if you need bit more explaining on any of the steps. Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto
Zermatt Silver
Side Steps & Mud flaps

Post #46984 29th Aug 2009 12:42 pm
srdjo

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Biscay Blue

Hi Udash, hi to all others!

i read posts for replacing the halogens very carefully and have done every step Udash mentioned. When I put the genuine Xenons into my non-Xenon Freel2, flickering starts after about a minute.
I think it is because of the power, something is not working. Confused

please .. have you any idea ?

Post #148620 15th Jul 2012 9:02 am
briangb

United Kingdom 
Tourist Lever

I know this is an old post - but it has been invaluable to me. I am moving to France shortly, and have the problem with the lights needing to be changed to LHD. I purchased a pair of full xenon LHD units from ebay for my 2008 Freelander 2, replaced the oem halogen units, and had the flickering described - pity I didn't search the forum before bought them.

I then found Udash's remedy, carried out the mods and low & behold the lights work perfectly.

Thank you Udash.

However - one question. The lights have the lever inside to change between LHD- RHD, no problem, it's easy to find, but every piece of info I can find regarding the position for each simply says - move to other position to change. I can't find anywhere which is the correct position for each. This is made worse by seeing on the VW forum (don't ask) that for their lights, it's up for the left lens and down for the right lens for Continental driving.

Does anyone know the relevant setting for LHD? Pointing the car at a wall doesn't seem to show any difference but I'm sure the French MOT equivalent equipment might be a little more precise.[/b]

Post #229371 19th Jul 2014 5:30 pm
D-Man

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Udash wrote:

As for auto levelling I don’t have it but at least have the manual control. According to workshop manual even the automatic levelling is not dynamic and only provides 'static periodic adjustments'
I will take some photos of what i did inside the xenon and post later.
Thanks for all the comments and help.

I'd be a little careful about that. As far as I understand, at least in the UK, if xenons are fitted they're required to be self-levelling. I'm unsure as to whether an MOT would pick this up but it may. If out of alignment and stopped for it I'd guess there could be some problems for not complying with Construction and Use... 2011 SD4 HSE Auto
(Previously 2007 TD4 XS Manual)

Post #229625 23rd Jul 2014 6:18 am
ad210358

England 

If a self levelling system is fitted it must work, but if you as cannot test the self levelling as it is not fitted, you have the benefit of doubt. There does not have to be an actual levelling device fitted on the Headlights, the Discovery 4 for one has no device fitted, levelling I'd sone by the suspension.

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4s01000701.htm

Post #229629 23rd Jul 2014 7:12 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>