« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Intermittent fault with electronic parking brake
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
younger

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black
Intermittent fault with electronic parking brake

Hi, I have a new Freelander manual my14, and have an intermittent fault with the epb not auto releasing when pulling away, it comes up with a warning message on the dash 'park brake auto release unavailable' . The car has been back to the dealers twice and they can't replicate the fault and it's not logging any codes. The dealers say that this fault has not been known before and they have been in touch with Landrover technical and they can't shed any light on it. Anyone else had this problem?

Post #229533 22nd Jul 2014 5:36 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Take a picture of the message as proof and if they can't fix it, ask for another one! Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #229541 22nd Jul 2014 7:28 am
wurzel153

2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue

My new my14 had a fault with the parking brake. It would on occasion not release when trying to reverse even if the button was pressed. I don't remember an error message on the dash but my dealer reset the parking module which solved the issue. My dealer told me that the updated freely has faults with the handbrake similar to the disco faults. They told me that when the hand brake will not release when reversing that i need to drive forwards and then go backwards or it can stick on. Dealer also advised me not to park forwards into a parking space in case the fault occurs again. Good luck.

Post #229542 22nd Jul 2014 7:45 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

"Dealer also advised me not to park forwards into a parking space in case the fault occurs again"

WTF????? I'd be inclined to say that I've logged the fault and if it occurs again I want a new car! Exclamation
Are we all now to be advised only to reverse into parking spaces? Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #229567 22nd Jul 2014 1:17 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

They'll be telling us not to go off-road next! Rolling Eyes Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #229576 22nd Jul 2014 3:56 pm
EYorkshire

If Landrover software design team went to the trouble of implementing a fault message regarding the handbrake then it must be known what can cause it to appear. Maybe the dealer hasn't a clue but I would doubt they enquired further.

Post #229577 22nd Jul 2014 4:04 pm
Vince

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red

Only time i've had this was when i tried driving away with the door open!

Post #229711 24th Jul 2014 12:21 pm
younger

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Thanks guy's for your help, I did get a photo which I have shown to the dealer, they have been in touch with landrover technical but they don't know. Called landrover assist out and it failed on a very short test drive with him, as it is still doing it it will be going back soon, for another look.They have ruled out a faulty door sensor. Sometimes think we should of kept our 07 plate freelander which was wonderful hence buying another one.......will keep you posted.

Post #229745 24th Jul 2014 6:03 pm
Bullfrog Boy

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Orkney Grey
Electronic Parking Brake not working properly on my vehicle

Hello,
I am new to this forum so please bear with me. I have just found this Forum and was wondering if you ever had a satisfactory resolution. Reason being is that my Freelander is currently in the dealers while they are trying to find out what is causing it to display the same problem. They say that they have never experienced this problem before. I took my vehicle out for a test drive with the technician in the passenger seat. He witnessed the problem and saw the message displayed on the dash.

The latest suggestion is that the components are overheating which is causing them to shut down and fail to release automatically. This (apparently) is not a failure but is what the system is meant to do. That is meant to explain why there is no fault code.

The problem has appeared many times and never in a situation when it could have become overheated so I do not accept their views.

What was the outcome in your case?

Cheers.

Post #316762 3rd Feb 2017 5:59 pm
taztastic

England 

Welcome to the forum Bullfrog Boy, well done for searching and finding a starrying point, I hope you get a good answer to your problem, you deserve it Thumbs Up

Post #316766 3rd Feb 2017 7:09 pm
Bullfrog Boy

Hi, thanks for your support. As yet I am no further forward with a solution to this problem but I anticipate that someone on this forum may have welcome words of advice.

Cheers.

Smile

Post #316809 4th Feb 2017 1:48 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

words of advice. That's something Chicken George may take up. Laughing

Just to be sure I tested mine with bonnet on safety catch and got a warning message and EPB released.

Won't release with door open so you may have a false door sensor reading. Maybe disconnect battery for 10 mins and hold leads together. A bit like resetting your computer when it fails to load software properly.

Keep us posted of how you cure it Thumbs Up FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #316884 5th Feb 2017 3:15 pm
Bullfrog Boy

Hi, thanks for your comments.

My vehicle is still at the dealers so I can not try the things you suggest. I expect that I will get a call from Jaguar Land Rover on Monday telling me that they can do no more as (in their opinion) there is nothing wrong with the vehicle.

I find it impossible to accept that my Land Rover can not deal with normal application of the parking brake.

Re your first comment, I have seen that Chicken George appears to be quite prolific.

Thanks again.

Cheers.

Post #316889 5th Feb 2017 3:52 pm
Bullfrog Boy

For those who asked for an update since my last email.

My vehicle is still with the dealership. I have been told that on 03/02/2017 Land Rover technicians gave the dealership details of two more tests for them to carry out on my vehicle. As yet no one will explain to me what those test were nor what the results showed.

On 10/02/2017 the Dealership informed me that after he had been test driving my vehicle (when no fault had showed) the Technician parked it outside the workshops for a short while. He then went back to my vehicle and as soon as he attempted to move it, the parking brake fault appeared and they said that the data logger had recorded the fault. They had passed that information back to Land Rover and were waiting for instructions as to what to do next.

Today, 13/02/2017 the dealership has contacted me and said they had been told by Land Rover to take a “known, good, parking brake module” from another Land Rover and swap it onto my vehicle. They did this and the fault still showed. They are now awaiting further instructions from Land Rover.

They say they will get back to me on Wednesday.

Post #317422 13th Feb 2017 3:35 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Meanwhile in Apollo 13 .......................................... FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #317424 13th Feb 2017 3:59 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>