« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Gearbox Oil Leak
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Jumplead

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue
Gearbox Oil Leak

I collected my new Freelander 2 GS TD4 manual 2 weeks ago. After 350 miles a seal in the transmission transfer box to the rear failed coating the underside (and exhaust) in gearbox oil. The smell of gearbox oil alerted me to the fault and luckily I was only a mile from home. Next day Land Rover Assistance transported the car back to the dealership and provided me with a Freelander 1 to drive around – all very efficient.

Seven days have now elapsed with no sign of an outcome in sight! Apparently these transfer boxes are “sealed for life” units and LR are very concerned about the premature failure. I’ll put on a further post when it’s sorted.

Not a good advert for LR’s new baby Sad

Post #1448 27th Jan 2007 7:32 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Yikes.... I've been getting a noticeable hot oil smell, better go and take a look underneath ....

Post #1449 27th Jan 2007 7:55 pm
avtur

avtur wrote:
Yikes.... I've been getting a noticeable hot oil smell, better go and take a look underneath ....

I've found traces of oil on the sumpguard under the engine/gearbox. I can see the gearbox output to the propshaft and rear drive; that appears OK, Can't see where the oil is coming from but I managed to run my fingers down what I think is the body of the cat' and there is definitely oil there.

Post #1450 27th Jan 2007 10:52 pm
Jumplead

Best you get your Landy into the dealer asap! It's all warranty work, but if they've got a problem, best they know soonest....

Post #1452 28th Jan 2007 1:18 am
avtur

Jumplead,

I hope your problems are being fixed, just wanted to thank you for making your post. I too have experienced a smell of burning oil (which I'd sort of put down to new car smells - although I probably knew it was more than that). However, because of your post I decided I should look more closely and as a consequence I did find traces of an oil leak so the car is back at dealers.

On my car it's probably not transmission oil (will post when we are sure what it really is) but this has without doubt saved me an on-road breakdown .... thanks ...

Post #1499 1st Feb 2007 2:44 am
Jumplead

Hi Avtur,

Since my first post, my car is still in with the dealer!

LR technical are now involved.

My Freelander had only covered 450 miles, how many had you covered?

Post #1549 4th Feb 2007 10:13 pm
avtur

Jumplead

Just in case you haven't picked it up in other threads my leak has been traced to hydraulic fluid for the clutch system.

As at today car has been off road for 1 week, waiting for replacement hydraulic pipes, there is talk that parts may arrive Wednesday car returned Thursday, but I'm not holding my breath.

Car has covered 1400 miles, but thinking back I first detected the 'odor' that turned out be hydraulic fluid burning on the exhaust, within 200 miles.

I’m being kept mobile by LR hire car through Enterprise Rental, (FL1, that’s now covered 950 miles in a week) miles that I would much preferred to have driven in my FL2)

What sort of job is the dealer doing about keeping you informed?

Post #1558 5th Feb 2007 10:57 am
Jumplead

Now have my FL2 back!

Problem was with an oil seal on PTO output shaft to the rear axle. The seal should have had a metal coil spring inside, but was left during my units assembly. Hence LR’s technical Dept’s interest I guess, – could have meant a re-call?!

Anyway, all fixed now and it’s a joy to have it back. The dealer has been great.

Jumplead
Very Happy

Post #1633 12th Feb 2007 10:58 pm
defkalion

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

avtur wrote:
Jumplead

Just in case you haven't picked it up in other threads my leak has been traced to hydraulic fluid for the clutch system.

As at today car has been off road for 1 week, waiting for replacement hydraulic pipes, there is talk that parts may arrive Wednesday car returned Thursday, but I'm not holding my breath.

Car has covered 1400 miles, but thinking back I first detected the 'odor' that turned out be hydraulic fluid burning on the exhaust, within 200 miles.

I’m being kept mobile by LR hire car through Enterprise Rental, (FL1, that’s now covered 950 miles in a week) miles that I would much preferred to have driven in my FL2)

Hi avtur,

Haven't heard from you for a long time.
Have you got your car back? Everything works fine now, or should we all be alert about oil leaks?

Post #1675 17th Feb 2007 9:27 am
avtur

defkalion wrote:
avtur wrote:
Jumplead

Hi avtur,

Haven't heard from you for a long time.
Have you got your car back? Everything works fine now, or should we all be alert about oil leaks?

Hi defkalion

Yes, car is back with me, leak turned out to hydraulic fluid from the clutch system. Car was off road for one week because of that problem but have had it back for 10 days now and that problem seems to be cured. However I'm still seeing the traction warning message, I'm making notes of when it happens and dealer is researching it further (I hope!)

Post #1677 17th Feb 2007 11:46 am
ledzep

Belgium 

Hello Avtur,

I also received this message (only once uptil now). To me it happened when I had to insert the key several times in a very short period (it came out (to hasty I suppose) and I had to put it back in). On other (similar) occassions the start button did not function. After retreiving the key, waiting a few seconds and putting it back in everything returned to normal. It is of some concern to me as we are planning a holiday and there is no other way to start the car except for this Evil or Very Mad button.

The creaks (see previous post) haven't disappeared. The car will go in for a full day end of the month to examine this problem.

Post #1682 17th Feb 2007 11:04 pm
cotefarmboy

United Kingdom 

I maybe paranoid but I am noticing a hot oil smell from my car, it is only a few days old with less than 200 miles on the clock so assume it is just new components getting hot for the first few times but reading this thread made me worry a bit. Where should I be looking to see if I have the fault mentioned at the start of the thread?

Post #1852 7th Mar 2007 4:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
avtur

cotefarmboy wrote:
I maybe paranoid but I am noticing a hot oil smell from my car, it is only a few days old with less than 200 miles on the clock so assume it is just new components getting hot for the first few times but reading this thread made me worry a bit. Where should I be looking to see if I have the fault mentioned at the start of the thread?

The problem that Jumplead had concerned oil from the transferbox. If there is leak from here it will either drop to the ground on onto the rear of the large sumpguard. (it will probably also get spalshed around by the drive shaft too). If you crawl under you can get a good view of the output shaft from the transfer box to the rear of the car so any leak from there would be quite easy to spot. My hydraulic leak from the clutch also caused fluid to run onto the sumpguard and traces of that could be seen from the same position as looking at the transfer box. You can get under quite easily even parked on flat ground but if you run a wheel up a kerb you get an even bigger crawl space. If you do crawl under make sure handbrake is firmly on!!

Post #1854 7th Mar 2007 7:35 pm
colin

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black
oil smell

avtur wrote:

Please contact barry Jenkins at L R about you oil smell tel 01926 691848 he would like to know about this.
Thanks Colin

Post #2902 7th May 2007 3:00 pm
colin

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black
Re: Gearbox Oil Leak

Jumplead wrote:
I collected my new Freelander 2 GS TD4 manual 2 weeks ago. After 350 miles a seal in the transmission transfer box to the rear failed coating the underside (and exhaust) in gearbox oil. The smell of gearbox oil alerted me to the fault and luckily I was only a mile from home. Next day Land Rover Assistance transported the car back to the dealership and provided me with a Freelander 1 to drive around – all very efficient.

Seven days have now elapsed with no sign of an outcome in sight! Apparently these transfer boxes are “sealed for life” units and LR are very concerned about the premature failure. I’ll put on a further post when it’s sorted.

Not a good advert for LR’s new baby Sad

Post #2903 7th May 2007 3:00 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>