« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Paint on tailgate issue - ALL HERE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 10 <12345678910>
Print this entire topic · 
D-Man

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

wurzel153 wrote:
Well my 1 year old MY14 is going in tomorrow to get the boot repainted for a second time. I noticed today how much the boot strip expands in the sun. At one point you can see the rubbed off paint, then when the sun comes out it gets covered over. About 6mm of movement on the right hand side.

Very poor design. Also noticed that when warm the strip is stood off from the boot but when cooler it sits tight against the paint.

Mine is doing exactly the same thermal expansion/contraction - noticed last week when trying to show a mate the damage on a hot day and we couldn't see it!
It's a huge amount of movement for a mainly plastic part - guess it must be the chrome strip forcing it and that probably accounts for the change in gap size too since the strip is curved. 2011 SD4 HSE Auto
(Previously 2007 TD4 XS Manual)

Post #261271 21st Apr 2015 8:45 pm
D-Man

Wurzel.....did yours get done? How is it? 2011 SD4 HSE Auto

Post #261814 26th Apr 2015 4:05 pm
wurzel153

2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue

It's still at the Harwoods paint shop being done. It's then going for a service and a new brake pedal. So I shall get the fl2 back around the 30th. Can't wait to get rid of this evoke loan car, (still to embarrassed to drive it).

Post #261828 26th Apr 2015 7:13 pm
D-Man

That's taking them a long time! Mine's scheduled this Thurs and Fri, also at a Harwoods as it happens, which is how long they say they need. Not sure what I'll get to drive while it's in.... 2011 SD4 HSE Auto

Post #261832 26th Apr 2015 7:32 pm
wurzel153

Long time indeed. But customer relations are involved with the paint being fixed this time. Don't know if that makes a difference but it was mentioned that the boot might need replacing. I think they may change all the associated parts just be sure The paint dosnt rub again.

Hopefully you won't get an evoke, I asked for the fiat 500 but they ran out of those.

Post #261837 26th Apr 2015 7:51 pm
D-Man

Involved in mine too......
See how long it takes I suppose. 2011 SD4 HSE Auto

Post #261841 26th Apr 2015 8:03 pm
wurzel153

Car still not finished yet. But I spoke with the manager at the paintshop, he said a modified spacer kit is available from Land Rover, he did not know if it had been ordered for mine (useful). They also have clear corner gaskets that they can stick on but they are visible.

So d-man. Make sure they order you this apparent modified spacer kit as Otherwise the paint will rub off again.

It would be good to know if Dan from duckworth could confirm the part number for this modified kit. (If it exists).

Post #262055 28th Apr 2015 11:51 am
wurzel153

Well.
Further to my previous comments about these modified spacers. Land Rover have just told me they used this spacer kit the last time my boot was repainted and that failed to prevent the problem recurring. I have now been told my car has been repainted again with the same spacer kit and it appears Land Rover forgot to contact the technical team to address this problem.

So my car is being returned to me, Land Rover relations have told me that they will speak to the technical team and advise that the fix for the rubbing boot strip does not work and they will let me know what the result of that is at a later date.

Banging Head Banging Head Banging Head Banging Head Banging Head Banging Head Banging Head Banging Head Big Cry

D-man. Let me know how you get on with yours, you may want to contact relations asap as I expect they will just fix yours in the same way without even contacting the technical dept.

Post #262075 28th Apr 2015 2:27 pm
D-Man

Thanks for that!
Mine is going in Thursday/Friday- they seemed to say they're doing something different from last time so we'll see (last time was different spacer kit as per yours) - suggested to me a replacement handle assembly maybe? I'll let you know when it's "done" and I can see what's been done/parts list! If it is the same as before I'll be back on to Customer Relations I guess.....are you going back to hassle them? 2011 SD4 HSE Auto

Post #262115 28th Apr 2015 10:02 pm
wurzel153

Update.
Car returned with the boot repainted, quite possible the worst paint job I have ever seen, orange peeled with bubbles that can be pressed in with a nail.

Also I was told by the paintshop that the wing (damaged at dealers previously) was fixed. But it is still as it was with a big scratch so totally confused on that one.

The boot strip itself is fixed really tight to the boot. The whole point of this fix was to stand the strip away from the boot to stop it rubbing.

What do you guys/gals think of the paint finish, I'm not impressed. see photo.

Post #262257 30th Apr 2015 10:56 am
taztastic

England 

That paint finish is ... err...disgusting and I am surprised that a dealer has given you the car back in that condition, you can see from this list that there are many causes, usually operator error, they've given your car to the lacky for a quick blast over.

Quote:
From DuPont:

Origin and Potential Causes:
Improper gun adjustment and techniques. Too little air pressure, wide fan patterns or spraying at excessive gun distances causes droplets to become too dry during their travel time to the work surface and they remain as formed by gun nozzle.
Extreme shop temperature. When air temperature is too high, droplets lose more solvent and dry out before they can flow and level properly.
Improper dry. Gun fanning before paint droplets have a chance to flow together will cause orange peel.
Improper flash or recoat time between coats. If first coats of enamel are allowed to become too dry, solvent in the paint droplets of following coats will be absorbed into the first coat before proper flow is achieved.
Wrong thinner or reducer. Under-diluted paint or paint thinned with fast evaporating thinners or reducers causes the atomized droplets to become too dry before reaching the surface. Too high viscosity.
Low shop temperature.
Too little thinner or reducer.
Materials not uniformly mixed. Many finishes are formulated with components that aid coalescence. If these are not properly mixed, orange peel will result.
Substrate not sanded thoroughly

Post #262259 30th Apr 2015 11:14 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

that is terrible, i would have them sand it back and polish out the finish at a minimum or respray it Shocked Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #262266 30th Apr 2015 11:45 am
Stuartc

Australia 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

I'm not sure what I'm looking at but clearly there's a mismatch in paint quality!!!
If that was mine I'd KILL!!!
I think this is appropriate for your dealer!!!
 MY15
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Surround Camera System
InControl Apps soon to be replaced with CarPlay (WIP)
Meridian Premium Surround Sound
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Meridian Rear Media with WIFI
Factory Powered Tailgate
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
Reverse Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Electrochromatic Wing Mirrors (WIP)

Post #262270 30th Apr 2015 12:04 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

^^
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

I get a better finish out of a spray can! That's shocking to hand a car back like that! It's an embarrassment to the dealer I really don't know why they do it! MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #262271 30th Apr 2015 12:07 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

My Ex girlfriend had a 6 month old black BMW 3 series, and after a fairly simple accident it went to BMW dealers body shop for the insurance repair.
When it came back the rear quarter, boot and bumper had all be renewed and sprayed. The effect was the same as you have on yours..... horrible orange peel effect, more grey than black and very distinctive from the rest of the car.
Their paint shop manager tried to fob us off with the excuse that it was because of the different painting techniques used in the body shops compared to the factory paint booth.
We eventually got the most senior manager from BMW import depot, who was responsible for the quality of all cars coming over from Germany. He agreed that the paint job was appalling and nowhere near standard.

In front of us, he proceeded to tear shreds off the body shop manager who could only mutter on about his profit margins. End result was the car was cut, resprayed and polished and given back to us immaculate.
The body shop just hadnt put the effort in as they were concerned about the profit margin against their department.

Post #262275 30th Apr 2015 12:25 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 10 <12345678910>