Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Anyone replaced 17 inch wheels with bigger ones.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Uncleron

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Bali Blue

pab wrote:
I currently have 17" GG ATs on the Freelander. As an all-rounder for on- and off-road use I agree - they're brilliant and are an ideal all terrain tyre (which is what I want). But for road use only I wouldn't buy them (or any other AT for that matter). IME wet grip is significantly less than a good road tyre (as reflected in the AT's wet braking rating) and the blocky tread means fuel consumption is slightly worse too.

It's horses for courses - if you want an all-rounder for on-road and mild to moderate off-road use the GG AT is ideal. But for road use I'd stick with a road tyre.

I would have to agree with PAB here.......

I fitted my larger 245/70 X 17 General Grabber AT’s just over a year ago now as one of the key reasons I bought my Freelander 2 was to also be able to do Green Road runs and miss out on as few of the ‘challenges’ as possible hence the larger size to help increase ground clearance where I can.

The GG AT’s have been great all rounders and definitely have much more traction off-road but there have been a few moments in wet conditions on standard roads through the year where I can just sense that these tyres just don’t have the same level of grip on wet or greasy roads as my previous dedicated road tyres had in the same conditions.

Post #228609 8th Jul 2014 5:11 pm
Gordy

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Lago Grey

Thumbs Up something I've been considering myself was the change to a larger tyre/profile to increase ground clearance slightly and above tyre doesn't knock speedo out too much either.

Post #228969 12th Jul 2014 11:33 pm
Uncleron

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Bali Blue

As I said previously I have found an improvement with the larger General Grabber AT's off road and the 245/70 X17's are about as large as you can go on standard suspension I reckon.

I took some pics and posted them on a previous posting if you want to see these tyres and just how much clearance is left on standard suspension if you are interested Gordy ;

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic16044.html

Post #229056 14th Jul 2014 12:41 pm
Gordy

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Lago Grey

I'll have a rake through the forum bud and catch a glimpse of these larger tyres

Post #229530 22nd Jul 2014 12:09 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12