Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Spaniels
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 31 <123 ... 293031>
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 

luckily, we have tiled floors in the kitchen, laminate in the lounge and hallway and only carpets upstairs, which we both agree is a no go area for pets (unless i take the rabbit upstairs to give the kids a bite goodnight)

also the previous owners did the Colditz treatment on the gardens as they had a German Shepard and a black lab, which was very lucky at the weekend when the neighbour fed the rabbit in the morning and left its cage door open all day

Post #227320 17th Jun 2014 1:12 pm
muddywheels

England 

Mudslinger - yours sounds like he was related to my parents second dog Laughing

I have friends with cocker and king Charles and they seem well suited as family pets. Everyone I know with Springers says they never tire and don't like being home alone Confused

For me the best dog is a Labrodor but swmbo wanted a westie and I have to say she picked a good one Embarassed

This was my best friend for 12 years Bow down

Click image to enlarge

The big guy below was a rescue and unfortunately didn't settle due to psychological issues but now happy with another family - the little girl is now 2 and has got us well trained Embarassed

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #227325 17th Jun 2014 1:45 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

we had a Springer for 12 years and can agree with what has been said that they do not like being left alone in the house for long periods.

if they are off working stock they will get bored and may cause a bit of damage ( ours did ) and that is why gamekeepers usually kennel them outside.

we then had a westie for 16 years and if we were having another dog it would probably be another westie.

both dogs have their own special lovable characteristics, the spaniel loyalty, obedience, and eager to please.

the westie stubborness, affectionate, and generally happy to be part of the family.

I certainly miss both my dogs and am still contemplating having another, as a home is not a home without a dog !!

Iain

Post #227328 17th Jun 2014 2:50 pm
mudslinger

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra Black

Just as a little postscript,
re the Spaniel, he had an outside kennel and only came in the house in his final 2 years, was of working stock and was just was not happy indoors, one day when we had to leave him due to a family emergency , came home to find find him wandering the yard blood all over his mane and mouth two broken teeth and his kennel gate in tatters 2 inch weldmesh gnawed through, woofing with excitement on our return,
see how clever I am was the expression on his face, pesky steel gate NO PROBLEM .. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

ending in an emergency trip to the vet .!!
(the vet had us on his Christmas card list as well ..!) Censored Censored Laughing Wales
Were the mud is thicker, and the ruts are deeper.
(And we have the water to wash it off, and more on the way..! )
Sd4 and chrome Ar*e piece, Auto box for best fun
09 Xs Gone
12 xs Gone
HSE with Leather seats and 4 years warrenty.. staying for now !

Post #227352 17th Jun 2014 4:43 pm
Graham t

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

@MW
Hey fellow Westie owner! Here's Merlin just turned one. From a time when dinosaurs weren't just confined to zoos!

Post #227371 17th Jun 2014 4:55 pm
Graham t

God I need to get a grip on this post replying lark, especially if trying to include an image! Big Cry From a time when dinosaurs weren't just confined to zoos!

Post #227372 17th Jun 2014 4:56 pm
archie98

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Any dog will not like being on it's own unless from an early age it is taught that it is ok to be left on it's own,my dog is now 11 year's old and semi retired but we have always made the max time left is 5 hours and we have never had a problem,The problem with chewing anything it can can it's teeth round is because it is bored there are plenty of things you can buy to keep it amused,

Post #227374 17th Jun 2014 5:00 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Yep, 5 hours is near to the max that we would leave our cocker - and that's after her daily walk! Any longer and I ask my parents if they can look after the 'Granddog'. Laughing Sadly, we plan our lives and holidays around the dog! It's the third kid we never had. Rolling Eyes Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #227379 17th Jun 2014 5:46 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Morning walk before work, then 3-4 hours then lunch time walk, then 3-4 hours till home time and evening longer walk is what I think can be done

I could if I wanted take him to the office, but that could be a rod for my own back as he won't be use to been left when required.

I have family who can come house sit if out longer or take him in for the night/weekend etc

Holidays we caravan mainly, so no issues there, apart from when the kids want to go swimming or the cinema, but with sky HD in the 'van movies can be at the site

Abroad then either a family member of kennel

Just got to agree on a cage or not, I'm pro cages but the wife is against, but I'll get my way Whistle

Post #227380 17th Jun 2014 5:57 pm
muddywheels

England 

I had the lab when I was going out to work but we lived above swmbos business so he normally only spent half a day alone - sometimes all day weekends but we had him from 6 months, was never caged and never chewed Cool

I now work from home but the parson/jack Russell I got from rescue at 6 months couldn't be left alone at all ever - we tried cage and he used to cock his leg through bars and spray everywhere. If I went to the loo he shredded cushions off sofa. The couple who took him sleep with him and take him to the bathroom, etc..... Rolling Eyes

The westie will go in her cage or can be left out and doesn't chew or create - she's totally laid back Very Happy

Ruby says hi to merlin graham Bow down Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #227384 17th Jun 2014 6:38 pm
Graham t

We were recommended to use a cage but, when he was about 6m, we decided to try without. Left him alone one evening & he mullahed the hall carpet & underlay so back to his cage. Our trainer told us that until they're two they should be caged at night & when left alone. He's quite happy & goes in of his own accord in the evenings. Longest we've ever left him is 4hrs. From a time when dinosaurs weren't just confined to zoos!

Post #227387 17th Jun 2014 7:02 pm
Graham t

Unnecessary quote removed

And Hi to Ruby! Thumbs Up From a time when dinosaurs weren't just confined to zoos!

Post #227388 17th Jun 2014 7:04 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Initially, I though keeping her in a crate was cruel but all my friends said that she would like it - and she did! Come bedtime she'd go to her crate which we kept in the kitchen. We covered the crate with sheets and it made her feel secure, like it was her own personal space. She used to sleep at night in the crate as well as when we went out for short periods. After about 9 months we started leaving the door of the crate open but she still stayed in there. We bought her a nice bed and left it in another corner of the kitchen and eventually she started using that so we removed the crate. Now, she has a bed in the kitchen, one in the lounge and she isn't allowed up on the sofa or bed until her 'Blankey' is on it. If it's not on, we get the 'cocker bounce' (owners will know what I mean) until the blankey is laid out. Mr. Green Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #227393 17th Jun 2014 7:51 pm
ad210358

England 

Two more Westies, Poppy and Pippa.

And one of Poppy a couple of years in surveillance mode in France?

Post #227401 17th Jun 2014 8:29 pm
muddywheels

England 

Laughing Sorry Nick - we appear to have gone Off Topic

Here's Ruby with Bertie (a friend) Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
 Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #227411 17th Jun 2014 9:19 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 31 <123 ... 293031>