« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Should I order Privacy Glass
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
GeorgeG

United Kingdom 
Should I order Privacy Glass

I recently ordered a new SD4 without privacy glass, but with this recent hot weather feel I should perhaps have gone for it as I have two dogs. I think I have until Monday to change the order.

As we have gone for black leather I wondered if the factory tint would make the interior a bit gloomy - although it is an HSE with sunroofs which should help. Our local dealer often fits film which has the advantage of being available in three levels of tint, so it would be possible to go for a lighter tint.

On a cosmetic note, we have gone for Orkney Grey and I think it would look very classsy with privacy glass - others may disagree!

Advice from those who have lived with factory fit or retro-fit film type privacy glass would be appreciated.

Post #104256 4th Jun 2011 12:40 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

I would go for it mate. I have not got it on mine as the GS does not have leather (to be honest I am waiting until I can afford a car with air con cooled seats before I opt for leather again). The look of a car with or without privacy glass has never been a point which I have considered (or care about), only the benefits. I had full leather in my Fiesta ST and it was worth getting privacy glass for it no question. Bearing in mind you have dogs as well, its a wise choice. Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #104258 4th Jun 2011 12:51 pm
Wing

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

I have a Lago Grey FL2 with the panoramic roof and factory fit privacy glass. For me, in the short space of 1 years ownership, it's become one of those things I'd specify in all my future car purchases as a 'must have'.
My last Beamer with leather and standard tints was like an oven in the summer and needed good use of the 'all windows down together' function before getting into it. Even then the seats "when wearing shorts" were uncomfortably hot.
Enter the FL2 with all that glass parked in the Sun for hours recently during the hot spell and it was positively cool inside when opening the doors! No rush of hot air, inside temp appeared cooler than outside and the seats were just as cool to sit on. No noticeable effect on light inside the cabin and you don't need to worry that the carrier bag or coat you left on the back seat will tempt anyone giving your car a passing glance. Thumbs Up

Post #104263 4th Jun 2011 2:00 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

I thought I read somewhere that the panoramic roof is manufactured so that it blocks the UV rays and therefore does not allow the sunlight to heat the car up. Clearly the car will heat up anyway but if the panoramic roof did allow UV rays to pass through I suspect it would be unbearable. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #104264 4th Jun 2011 2:11 pm
Triple7

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I told yah already to get the factory privacy glass!

I can tell you now it isn't too dark, it will look awesome with Orkey, the dogs & you will benefit and it is a cheap option.

DO NOT go for the film.

a) It doesn't look as good.
b) you can see all the heating elements & aerial wires in the glass with the film, plus the edging around the windows is visible.
c) It's only slightly more expensive to factory order the privacy glass, than it is to film it by dealership.
d) most important of all, the dogs will scratch the film and that will be that, money down drain.

FYI on sunny/cloudy days the privacy glass looks much darker than it is, guess that's the point!

The thing I don't like about my D3 & this FL2 is the sunshades on the panoramic roof. They let in too much light, would prefer solid screens.
Cool 2010MY Freelander 2 HSE Auto
Santorini Black with Ebony Napoli Leather

Post #104268 4th Jun 2011 2:23 pm
hutchingsp

Honestly, just do it.

IMO with some colours privacy glass makes or breaks the look. My SD4 is Stornoway and looks awesome with the sunroof and the privacy glass.

I suspect you'll be kicking yourself if you don't.

Post #104275 4th Jun 2011 4:05 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

It seems all vote for yes George. The only area I disagree with some of the other members is having it for looks. The benefits are there for leather so that is key for you but I parked near to a Stornoway GS with privacy glass not long back and IMO mine looked far better without the privacy glass. Due to me not needing the benefits I am glad I didn't opt for it but from what you have said, its time to phone the dealer and alter the order. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #104280 4th Jun 2011 5:03 pm
hutchingsp

Pretty much every photo/video on Land Rovers website features privacy glass too. Now of course, if you don't like it don't have the option on it, I wouldn't suggest doing so simply because "Land Rover have it on all theirs", however if you do like it but you're on the fence it's something to keep in mind as to me it indicates that Land Rover think it sells their cars better, albeit probably based solely on looks, plus it suggests people will be wanting it come resale time.

Post #104284 4th Jun 2011 5:37 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

nobody has mention a very important point, with privacy you don't have to clean the insides of the windows or if you do you can miss the odd bit, nobody can see Laughing At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #104287 4th Jun 2011 6:07 pm
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

I had film on all my defenders, because they don't do privacy glass as an option. It does not look crap if you have it done properly. All mine looked spot on, even on the slidey windows.

Post #104290 4th Jun 2011 6:15 pm
BrianAbbott

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Ipanema Sand
Re: Should I order Privacy Glass

GeorgeG wrote:
I recently ordered a new SD4 without privacy glass, but with this recent hot weather feel I should perhaps have gone for it as I have two dogs.

We don't have privacy glass (not wanting to look like a drug dealer/hairdresser/Russian gangster Rolling with laughter ) but we have noticed that, compared to our last car it is quite shaded inside, primarily due to the rear window being near-vertical. Our dog is a lot happier in the current vehicle than the last one. Brian

MY11 FL2 SD4 GS
Extras to same spec as XS apart from the Satnav, plus Xenons.
Ipenema Sand, Ebony.

Post #104291 4th Jun 2011 6:25 pm
Nazca Sand Eddie

United Kingdom 

I can't find the post, but I think someone recently said that one of the benefits of the factory fitted glass is that it helps reduce UV, whereas the film doesn't. Important if a cool interior is your aim.

I have the factory fitted option. It does not make it dark inside, and I think the it tidies up the rear window.

Post #104301 4th Jun 2011 8:37 pm
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Who cares when the climate control is on!! It's so people can't see in!!

Post #104304 4th Jun 2011 8:44 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Film is UV blocking also Thumbs Up

Edit: http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic6559.html

Post #104305 4th Jun 2011 8:45 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

just get factory fit tints - you wont regret it Thumbs Up Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #104308 4th Jun 2011 9:22 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>