Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
DaveS

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black
Disco2 to Freelander2

Me - DaveS on 08 Jan 08 wrote:
Hey! Dave here, new to this forum.

I have a FL2 for the day when my D2 goes to the dealers at the end of Feb. It will be the decider on whether I buy a TD4 GS or not.

Well I have deliberating long time now obviously, very impressed with my day in a Freelander, the auto box seemed to be the same as the Disco3 that I had - Mega!

I did not want to end up with a less effective towcar than my Disco2 Td5 though with 2500cc pulling 1500kg (loaded) caravan, and self levelling suspension so this stalled me a bit...

...Until the last bank holiday weekend in Devon. My Td5 was gutless up hills and seemed happy forever at 40mph. On LR site it says Td4 is 160PS so more power it seems. Has anybody else stepped down from Td5 and can offer a towing comparison please?

Also - can the bluetooth PTI be retrofitted?

And do the rear seats fold flat, I forgot to check

Cheers

Post #19760 9th May 2008 3:20 pm
muddywheels

England 

Hi

I have owned a Manual FL1 and 2 Auto Td5 Disco's - all bought new or demo's. The last was a Metropolis with everything!

I have only towed a trailer so I can not comment on caravan towing.

The rear seats do fold flat.

I use a bluetooth earpiece at present but plan to get a Tom Tom with built in Bluetooth that will do me fine.

I felt the Disco3 was too dear and with the price of fuel wanted better economy. The Manual GS FL2 I have now is the best LR I have ever owned - even better than the Metropolis or the Landcruiser I had before buying LR's Shocked

I have no worries with the FL2 - the vanners will give you their opinion on towing Thumbs Up

Post #19761 9th May 2008 3:53 pm
Matei

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

I don't think the PTI can be retrofitted on a GS. I think you have to have at least the XS with the Alpine cd-radio. FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #19762 9th May 2008 4:04 pm
muddywheels

England 

Matei wrote:
I don't think the PTI can be retrofitted on a GS. I think you have to have at least the XS with the Alpine cd-radio.

You may be right.

I had a Jaguar and they told me Bluetooth had to be prewired at factory - not sure if LR same though.

Post #19769 9th May 2008 5:42 pm
Matei

muddywheels wrote:
Matei wrote:
I don't think the PTI can be retrofitted on a GS. I think you have to have at least the XS with the Alpine cd-radio.

You may be right.

I had a Jaguar and they told me Bluetooth had to be prewired at factory - not sure if LR same though.

I am prrety sure as in the LR spec (at least for here) the PTI cannot be instaled but it seems that there are other kind of bluetooh that will work. There were , I think abt three kind of bluetooh that the dealer was offering - not PTI as the PTI has to use the buttons of the Alpine kind of central console.
There also might be some aftermarket PTI systems approved by LR as you wouldnot want your warranty invalidated (considering that halfof the FL2 is electronics)
Surely in time electronic compsnies will come up with something. FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #19787 9th May 2008 7:43 pm
shar

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

Yep done it , disco 2 auto to manual GS FL2 and i tow a twin axle caravan with the FL2 its an absolute dream to tow with , and believe me it's no step down , we did struggle with mpg whilst towing but has since been back into the dealer and we are now getting around 26 mpg towing , the van weighs in at 1665 fully loaded and you don't no it's on the back you put your foot down and the car just goes it's a real workhorse and we are delighted with our FL2 Thumbs Up

Post #19799 9th May 2008 10:01 pm
DaveS

Thanks for your replies chaps, I think I will look at ordering once the Colonel in Chief has test driven one tommorow! I was going to spec up a nearly new GS a bit, hence the retrofit BlueTeeth question, but the savings - if any, would be negligible on new.

Gonna have me

Td4 GS Auto
Stornaway Grey
Privacy glass
PTI
(Edit...I cannot have PTI on a GS as I keep being told!!!)
Removable tow bar
Cold climate pack

(all subject to what they say the build time is if theres not one like it in the system, I dont wanna wait forever)

Last edited by DaveS on 11th May 2008 3:52 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #19801 9th May 2008 10:48 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

"Removable tow bar " what a good idea, remove it and throw it away Laughing At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #19806 10th May 2008 12:51 am
Matei

DaveS wrote:
Thanks for your replies chaps, I think I will look at ordering once the Colonel in Chief has test driven one tommorow! I was going to spec up a nearly new GS a bit, hence the retrofit BlueTeeth question, but the savings - if any, would be negligible on new.

Gonna have me

Td4 GS Auto
Stornaway Grey
Privacy glass
PTI
Removable tow bar
Cold climate pack

(all subject to what they say the build time is if theres not one like it in the system, I dont wanna wait forever)

Good choice Thumbs Up

Privacy Glass is usefull and looks nice
As said before I don't think you'll be able to retrofit a PTI but bluetooh should be no problem at all
Cold climate - allways usefull.
Maybe have a thought at the door protections 9called bandous where I am as they are usefull to protect your pride and joy from some accidentall indentations.
If the Colonel is not too excited suggest some side steps or side tubes. Worked for me. Actually it was a must for me and they also help to protect your doors (side steps not tubes). Have to take them ff if I consider any serious off-roading Thumbs Up FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #19816 10th May 2008 11:13 am
DaveS

Yes Matei, I have finally woken up to the fact that I cannot get PTI on a lowly GS Laughing . Definately going to get the protection strips but not tubes - not for me. We have a loaner from the dealer next weekend, I hope that there is no mileage restriction on it Whistle SD4 HSE Lux
Yeti 170 DSG L&K
Freelander 1 Td4 Overlander

Past: Freelander Metropolis, D3, D3, D2, Series 3, Series 3, Freelander 1 (still have this one bought new, the Monte Carlo blue kid)

Post #19887 11th May 2008 3:49 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Have covered over 36k miles in my TD4 GS, no problem. Have towed our single axle 1450kg van for about 2k miles. The real problem is that you don't really notice the van on the back. I certainly can't identify with notion of 40 mph all out, if CG is ever held up by me it will only be because I'm sticking to the speed limit !!!

There have been soem comments about towing mirrors, I haven't had a problem with them. The ones I used on my Mazda 6 previously fit the LR2 no problem. Sorry can't even remember what make they are, but I konw they're nothing special.

FL2 is a great tow car car ... FL2 is a great car ...

Post #19914 11th May 2008 9:35 pm
chicken george

avtur wrote:
Have towed our single axle 1450kg van for about 2k miles. The real problem is that you don't really notice the van on the back. I certainly can't identify with notion of 40 mph all out, if CG is ever held up by me it will only be because I'm sticking to the speed limit !!!

Yes but one day your 2000 mile downhill route will end and you will have to go up a hill Laughing . At work
At home

Post #19918 11th May 2008 10:46 pm
DaveS

CG... Rolling Eyes Laughing

avtur, real good to hear mate. I thought about asking the dealer for a demo car with towbar (weekend away the 'van and a FL2 trial Thumbs Up ) but thought I was pushing it and I bet insurance does not allow this anyway, CG would probably inform the dealer of my intentions in order to keep me from holding up traffic anyway Laughing SD4 HSE Lux
Yeti 170 DSG L&K
Freelander 1 Td4 Overlander

Past: Freelander Metropolis, D3, D3, D2, Series 3, Series 3, Freelander 1 (still have this one bought new, the Monte Carlo blue kid)

Post #19969 12th May 2008 4:22 pm
ChrisC

United Kingdom 

I was doing a search on ownerinfo.landrover.com under the accessories section for the freelander 2 and came across the "Telephone Kit - lo-line" ref LR003995 which looks like a Bluetooth accessory kit to me.

Maybe worth prinitng and taking to you dealer.

Chris.

Post #19972 12th May 2008 5:00 pm
chicken george

DaveS wrote:

CG would probably inform the dealer of my intentions in order to keep me from holding up traffic anyway Laughing

That would be the correct thing to do..my public duty if you please At work
At home

Post #19983 12th May 2008 5:29 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>