Home > In Car Electronics > Freelander 2 Navigation System
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
dariosto

Australia 
Freelander 2 Navigation System

Hi,
I just bought a Freelander 2 SE. The Navigation System is optional and costs 2500$. Is there any way to install the navi on the car without going trough the dealership?

Post #226119 2nd Jun 2014 12:03 pm
pb1008

2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

If you do a search on the site regarding sat navs, you will find there are much better and cheaper options than the Land Rover unit.

Post #226121 2nd Jun 2014 1:05 pm
le bouch

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black
Re: Freelander 2 Navigation System

dariosto wrote:
Hi,
I just bought a Freelander 2 SE. The Navigation System is optional and costs 2500$. Is there any way to install the navi on the car without going trough the dealership?

Don't know what MY you're looking at, but assuming it has the cubby hole...

TomTom Start 60 - about Ģ120.
Hot Glue gun to fix it to the rear of the cubby hole opening - about Ģ15
Female cigarette lighter socket, secured with cable ties near the passenger footwell fusebox, connected to a nearby Ground and piggyback fuse connector to Fuse 5 - about Ģ7.

Confidence to remove the glovebox and middle facia (both really easy) - FOC Thumbs Up

Last edited by le bouch on 2nd Jun 2014 4:32 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #226128 2nd Jun 2014 2:14 pm
MidlandRover

England 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

And if you pay with MasterCard.........priceless. FL2 SD4 Metropolis Auto Santorini Black / ivory completely stock.

It's true that light travels faster than sound, some people look quite intelligent until you hear them speak.

Stop global winging.

Post #226133 2nd Jun 2014 3:38 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic12741.html
works on all cars with dash cubby hole. ie NOT MY13 onwards. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #226173 2nd Jun 2014 9:50 pm
ccsnet

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

I wish mine had not come with the nav,,,,, its not great.

T Terran

'The' Car For The Modern Day UK Roads ( ie all the pot holes )

'A Freelander that leaks oil is just marking its territory' - Wise words

Now a member of the FL2 'Silly Bill' Club

Post #226220 3rd Jun 2014 9:06 am
agardim

Brazil 2010 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Indus Silver

I have a MY2010 Freelander 2 HSE (comes with a very bad factory satnav). Iīm looking for a long time for a solution that integrates a Garmin BOX with the car systems so I can replace the box that is under the passenger seat and still use the original connectors (original GPS antenna, original screen, original carīs audio integration, and so on). I found some solutions that gets closer only.
If someone knows anything about it and is interested in exchange informations please let me know.
I work with electronics and I already think about develop one solution for it.
Regards.

Post #226499 6th Jun 2014 12:43 am
andrell

Het agardim, is it that bad? How is it to navigate in Brazil? I'm getting my LR2 HSE 2010 today.

Thanks

Post #228770 10th Jul 2014 6:21 am
athelstan

All this chatter about the LR Sat Nav being "bad - hopeless" is, in my opinion, ill-reasoned. Is an iPhone 4 useless now there's a 5s on the market? No, absolutely not when referenced to the basic task of making a telephone call on the move. Some folk prefer a Samsung others champion a Nokia or Blackberry - they all make mobile calls possible.

The LR Sat Nav's basic function is to locate a given address - it does that. Maybe not with all the bells n whistles of the latest Garmin or Tom Tom unit, or so intuitively, but nonetheless LR's does the job.

If you are finding it cannot locate a desired address then it is probably because that address was created (built) after the year of the disc set in your Sat Nav's disc player. Solution - buy a newer generation set of discs, and preferably off eBay as that's a cheaper source than your local LR dealer. Either way, new discs is a cheaper upgrade than a complete new Sat Nav installation.

I drive several cars from different manufacturers, plus I have access to her Ladyship's MY10 FL2 and her other business vehicles. All have Sat Nav systems from differing brands - each with its own characteristic. They all do the basic job and they all have the ability to annoy re how they individually handle their menus and features. Under no circumstances would I go to the expense of removing her Ladyship's functional LR Sat Nav unit for a "smarter" piece of kit.

Post #228771 10th Jul 2014 7:07 am
agardim

andrell wrote:
Het agardim, is it that bad? How is it to navigate in Brazil? I'm getting my LR2 HSE 2010 today.

Thanks

Hi! Maybe in Sao Paulo - SP it works better, but here in Campinas - SP it is very bad! There are a lot of areas without coverage and the satnav just tell you to follow an arrow on that areas. You get totally lost.

Post #228800 10th Jul 2014 2:15 pm
agardim

athelstan wrote:
All this chatter about the LR Sat Nav being "bad - hopeless" is, in my opinion, ill-reasoned. Is an iPhone 4 useless now there's a 5s on the market? No, absolutely not when referenced to the basic task of making a telephone call on the move. Some folk prefer a Samsung others champion a Nokia or Blackberry - they all make mobile calls possible.

The LR Sat Nav's basic function is to locate a given address - it does that. Maybe not with all the bells n whistles of the latest Garmin or Tom Tom unit, or so intuitively, but nonetheless LR's does the job.

If you are finding it cannot locate a desired address then it is probably because that address was created (built) after the year of the disc set in your Sat Nav's disc player. Solution - buy a newer generation set of discs, and preferably off eBay as that's a cheaper source than your local LR dealer. Either way, new discs is a cheaper upgrade than a complete new Sat Nav installation.

I drive several cars from different manufacturers, plus I have access to her Ladyship's MY10 FL2 and her other business vehicles. All have Sat Nav systems from differing brands - each with its own characteristic. They all do the basic job and they all have the ability to annoy re how they individually handle their menus and features. Under no circumstances would I go to the expense of removing her Ladyship's functional LR Sat Nav unit for a "smarter" piece of kit.

Hi Athelstan.
If you use it here in Brazil you will agree with me. It is so bad here that it is almost useless. We have addresses here that are more than 10 years old that can't be located on land rover's satnav.
The other problem is that most times, when you are navigating, it simply tell you that "you are on an area without coverage" and instruct you to try to follow a direction shown by an arrow. You get totally lost when it happens.
So here it don't do the basic functions, that's why it is almost useless here.

About the updated discs (DVDs) it is not available here. Neither Land Rover or Navteq have it and they say that it is not expected to have updated discs. Updated discs are only available for USA and Europe.

So here in Brazil the only way to make this big 7" screen useful is to replace the unit.

Post #228802 10th Jul 2014 2:33 pm
egipp

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Santorini Black

Good Morning Dariosto, I've fitted the Garmin nevi 2797, same type of fit as the TomTom noted by lebouch, but it is a 7" screen unit and a very good fit for the 'cubby hole' space. I've added the off road maps to the supplied Navteq city maps and it works very well for me.

Post #228836 10th Jul 2014 10:40 pm
kitchener

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

I think if your buying a new model then none of the aftermarket units are going to work. I don't think there is a void cubby hole into which to fit a non OEM sat nav.

After a mishap with my retrofitted Tomtom (broke screen ) I have now fitted a tablet into cubby hole , and installed a Satnav app. This is another way to go if you have the opening.

Post #228838 10th Jul 2014 11:43 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

As stated above, MY13 onwards does not have a cubby hole. There is a simple screen on non-satnav models. Whether it's possible to replace this I don't know, as I'm not sure what its function is (mine's got a satnav). Incidentally the MY13 onwards satnav no longer has discs - the info is stored inside the unit and can only be updated by a dealer software upgrade. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #228839 10th Jul 2014 11:51 pm
agardim

egipp wrote:
Good Morning Dariosto, I've fitted the Garmin nevi 2797, same type of fit as the TomTom noted by lebouch, but it is a 7" screen unit and a very good fit for the 'cubby hole' space. I've added the off road maps to the supplied Navteq city maps and it works very well for me.

Hi egipp. Very good fit! But how about the GPS audio? Where you listen to it? Inside the dashboard? I want to make it through the carīs speaker but I guess it is almost impossible because carīs audio uses MOST interface (fiber optics).

Post #228840 11th Jul 2014 2:45 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>