Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > Lost my front licence plate!?!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Hoges4870

Australia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black
Lost my front licence plate!?!

Took my freely offroad for the first time in my month of owning her today with a few mates through a pretty rough, steep track with a few creek crossings. Whilst she performed brilliantly, even with Nankang road tyres, I somehow managed to rip off the front licence plate during the trip! Has anybody had this happen to them before? It seems like the screws have pulled completely out of the front bumper, so I am guessing it must have happened during one of the creek crossings due to the pressure from the water? I couldn't see the licence plate sitting in the track on the way back out, and the guy following me in didn't see it come off, but also lost his front licence plate cover, so I am thinking it must be at the bottom of one of the creeks!

I also managed to fold the tail pipe almost completely in half on a rock, so I am thinking that some bigger tyres, underbody protection, and suspension spacers might be in order if I want to continue on these kind of tracks!

Post #224409 10th May 2014 3:06 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

The same thing happened to me the first time I crossed a river, though luckily only one screw failed so I still had the plate. A cable tie kept the plate on until I got home. It looked as if the dealer had had his details added to an extra area below the legally required area of the plate. This hung lower than the bumper it was attached to and the bow wave did the rest.
So I cut the extra bit off (made sure the BS mark wasn't part of it), new screws and a liberal amount of 3M double sided tape now secure the number plate to the bumper. That should also stop that plate from being stolen and used for bilking (filling up with fuel and driving off without paying).

Post #224437 10th May 2014 6:35 pm
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

The front bumper is paper thin and the screws holding the plate are inadquate. Most definately your plate is at the bottom of a creek. I doubled the screws and put a bit of silicone in the screw holes on mine as it's holding an x-bar as well.

Post #224453 11th May 2014 12:00 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1